(6 posts)
  1. emg

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 7 2012 21:02:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

For the last month I have been visiting your forum, reading and re-reading posts and responses regarding bird mites. There were two pigeon's nests on my porch, one under an old desk and one inside a large plastic garbage can located right by my bedroom window. About a month ago, during a NYC heatwave, one of the pigeons (not sure if it was one of the baby pigeons) died in the garbage pale. I hadn't noticed until it began to smell (it seemed to have been dead for days and it had maggots all over it). Once I realized I sealed the garbage and put it out for garbage removal. A few days before noticing the dead bird, i had noticed little white/beige bugs all over the dining room tables, walking all over the papers and scurrying into small crevices. A few days after that, I noticed the little bugs crawling all over the keyboard of my laptop, over papers and books by my desk (located near my window), on the windowsill and on my black computer speakers. I flipped out and started spraying Raid and dousing my house in baby powder and sprayed dawn/alcohol/water mix all over the window, computer, papers, etc. This seemed to help and killed them on contact. I called a PCO immediately, who suggested it could be bird mites. I explained my pigeon situation and so they came in the next day and sprayed Demand all over the porch and the house. In addition, the PCO removed the other nest and shooed the pigeons away. We cleaned the porch, tossing the desk, dresser, any big object a bird could make a nest in or could have infested. Once the The porch was totally empty I called the PCO again and requested a respray because I found a fewscragglers in some books.

When the PCO re-sprayed he came in with a exciter, demand and sterifab combo and re-sprayed the heck out of the porch, walls, floors, desks, everything from sofas to under the dressers.
    He told me this would work and that they would all die. Even told me stories about how he took an A/C unit from a frightened client who was afraid to keep it since it had been infested.

I waited another week and couldn't shake the itchies. I don't see any bugs crawling but I am super itchy and still afraid of my desk and laptop. I have so much work I need to do and papers that I have been taking notes on that I cannot bring myself to touch... I am spraying off everyday and I'm having another PCO come. This one made me feel worse... He gave me a mattress cover to suffocate the mites in my bed (I hadn't wanted to go that far). He told me that with the extreme weather conditions in NYC and potential or possible future bird problems, that it would be very hard to treat the porch. He said it would never stick, but I insisted. Also he is offering a 1 year guarantee with a $50 fee for resprays... (same as the other PCO). However, I don't think I have actually seen

I don;t know what to think. I am anxious to get rid of these bastards. I have been reading other people's stories on other web sites and they are freaking me out more. Will they ever go away? I have been vacuuming as well. Does anyone have any suggestions? Does this get better? Are these mites deadly? This whole process is too much to handle and it's beginning to interfere with my life and job.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    -M

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 8 2012 9:11:34
    #

Login to Send PM

"He gave me a mattress cover to suffocate the mites in my bed (I hadn't wanted to go that far)."
    It's not meant to suffocate them -- hope he didn't tell you it would.
    You described a typical bird mite scenario. All's fine until the host (bird(s)) are gone and the mites are left.

"He told me that with the extreme weather conditions in NYC and potential or possible future bird problems, that it would be very hard to treat the porch. He said it would never stick, but I insisted. "
    Not sure what he meant about this.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. emg

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 8 2012 11:12:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reply. So what does the mattress cover get used for?

The nests and birds are all gone but I still feel very itchy.

I'm not sure what he meant by the last comment either... I think that since they are attracted to humidity and thy come out in greater number web it rains that it would be hard to spray the porch and keep the chemicals active...

So this pco doesnt sound knowledgable to you?

4. esteban76

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 19 2012 23:16:30
    #

Login to Send PM

EMG, so were you able to be rid of them? I'm curious what worked.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Dec 20 2012 4:33:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Reading the OP which I missed the first time I can't help but fell that the scenario of samples on books and keyboard sounds a lot more likely to be Pscocids and not bird mites.

Bird mites almost always hang out at the wall ceiling junction in homes a pattern that does not fit here.

However had it been bird mites connected with the porch a removal of the source nesting area and treatment of the area and path into property is the best solution. It requires thoroughness before excess. That said with contact only killers there is always a tendancy to apply heavily.

There is more information in the green sticky above.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Dec 20 2012 12:48:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Too bad you don't have any examples of the creatures to examine.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,768 posts in 50,035 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,358 members. Latest: weluckyfew201, questioning_bugger, Mikayah