Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

BIG BIG THANKS! And little assistance placing monitors please.

(22 posts)
  1. bugsonme

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 21 2013 21:05:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you sooo soo much to Nobugsonme for calling over to US Bed Bugs in an attempt to ship some monitors to me ... and thank you thank you to US Bed Bugs who decided to just send me a couple monitors ... thank you thank you!!

So my monitors have arrived and I wondered if someone couldn't give me good ideas on best places to place them....

Here is my living room - where I have been sleeping.
    [img]http://[/img]

Here is my bedroom - sometimes I get up at 5am and sleep there for two hours before work. I have a "bed bug proof cover" on my matress, and a cheap bed cover on my box spring, both taped at the zipper. The box spring got a few holes from putting it back on the metal frame - and one tiny one I can't get tape to stay on. I feel like I get bit there....
    [img]http://[/img]

And... thank you again to the kind folks for sending me a couple monitors. Just knowing they were coming, I had a normal life (aside from the constant drying of clothes, etc) this weekend! And, just when I had convinced myself that my problem couldn't be bb's ... I come home from work (after having only slept in my bed this morning from 5-7) and find this on the foot of my bed. Note: My cat had laid there ALL day, and he's been itching and scratching like mad and has hairballs and clumps of hair missing despite baths and constant checking with nothing found....

Untitled by LlSALOU, on Flickr

Any input appreciated!!!! thanks so soooooooo much ...

2. bugsonme

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 21 2013 21:07:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Also ... wouldn't a blot spot that size yield a pretty large dead bb somewhere?

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 21 2013 21:20:21
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, your foto is not clear enough for me to make a 100% determination however, what I see in the foto is not consistent with what I see in the field regarding bed bug fecal stains.

As for your couch; perhaps consider/purchase a sofa safe type product that completely encases your sofa which would seal in any bed bugs therein.

As for strategic placement of your passive monitors DC will provide comment thereof as those are his invention. However, you need to place these such that bed bigs will encounter them and use them for fecal deposition and potential harborage.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

4. bugsonme

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 21 2013 21:31:48
    #

Login to Send PM

yes, thank you .. it does!

Actually, in my madness just after I realized my "bites" could possibly be bed bugs just over a month ago, Here is what I have done:

Took bed skirt and comforter to Laundromat to wash/dry on hot- steam ironed the bed skirt before putting it back on.

Bought some heavy duty, clear, shower curtain liners, took the covers off of my couch cushions and wrapped them in the shower curtain liners - taped the hell out of them - put the covers back on.

There's a whole sleeping routine, socks, pants, etc, that I won't go all into ...

I think about the loveseat there next to the couch but check it daily and find no sign of anything.

5. bugsonme

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 21 2013 21:34:37
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 12 minutes ago  » 
    OK, your foto is not clear enough for me to make a 100% determination however, what I see in the foto is not consistent with what I see in the field regarding bed bug fecal stains paul b.

Yeah sorry it's kind of dark in my room and my camera is shot. They're red, I was thinking more blood stains, rather than fecal. But, wondered why there wouldn't be a pretty big dead bb around f it caused that mark.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 21 2013 23:18:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The stain is fresh blood related and not faecal. The out ring is most likely lymph the clear to yellow fluid you often get in cuts and spots.

The install sites are standard underside of sofa on the leading edge and head end of no spring base on the bed.

I will include pictures to illustrate when I am on a PC rather than the phone tucked up in bed.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  7. bugsonme

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed May 22 2013 6:05:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, David!

So, you're thinking the blood stain is NOT from a crushed bed bug? I guess I better get my cat to the vet! Thank you...

And, tucked up in bed. AHH. Soon I will feel comfy tucked up in bed thanks to the monitors

Don't know what you mean by no spring? My box spring has a spring ... I'm very nervous about where to place them because I feel like if there are bb's here, they are already hiding VERY well! A month and still no signs ....

Much appreciated.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed May 22 2013 6:34:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry long day yesterday no spring = box spring.

David

9. bugsonme

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 23 2013 22:16:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I know I'm being a royal pain in the butt here - but I need some help with specific placement of my two gifted monitors. Having searched for a month and a half and finding nothing, having a dog inspection come up with nothing... I just want to make the best of my monitors now.

I can't put on the bottom of my couch because the base is flush to the ground. I was thinking of putting a monitor on the underside of my couch cushion - between the bottom of the cushion and couch frame. Do you think it's better on the back of the couch? I generally sleep on the couch...

My bed. My skirt has been cleaned and steam ironed... do I need to remove it for best results? I'm trying to keep things as normal as possible - which is why I put it back on. But, no idea where to place the monitor. The mattress is encased - the box spring, not so much. Cheap cover that has many small holes from my metal box spring. Thinking of putting one monitor on head of the box spring, between the box spring and mattress... but not sure. Is it better closer to the ground or should I place it between the mattress and head board? Should it face the headboard or should it sit on the back of the headboard?

Please look at the pictures above and offer guidance.

Eventually, I swear.. I will go away

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat May 25 2013 20:51:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi bugsonme,

I found a photo David posted of a BBAlert Passive on a sofa in this thread:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/back-again-best-position-to-place-bb-alert-passive-monitor-on-sofa

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. bugsonme

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed May 29 2013 23:14:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much nobugs. But, my couch is flush with the ground - no legs.

Right now I'm sure it's not placed correctly.

I'll wait a little longer for some solid input ...

thanks again.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 30 2013 1:36:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I missed where you described your sofa. I am sure David will be helpful on this and he's definitely the one to advise you.

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 30 2013 9:36:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry I have been working on repairing a corrupted file that has been causing errors on the website for the last few days and needed a clear head to think about this one.

In the absence of ground clearance the secondary install site is on the seating side of the sofa arm tucked in at the front between the arm and the cushion with the sticky part being placed on the arm and in the most occupied seat position.

If this description is not clear enough please take a picture of the most occupied seat so I can mark up the image with the install location for you.

Hopefully the one on your bed has now been clear for long enough to offer some peace of mind that the issue is not related to bedbugs.

Hope that helps.

David

14. bugsonme

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 30 2013 13:29:52
    #

Login to Send PM

THANK YOU David! That is exactly where I placed the monitor on my couch, except maybe I should move it to the opposite end where I sit more often.

The one on my bed is kind of out in the open and sits on the headboard, down level with the mattress, facing the mattress, touching the bed skirt. I'm thinking I should remove the bed skirt in order to get a good placement and insure nothing is hiding in the bed skirt instead of my new comfy monitor homes....

Both my monitors are clear and for some reason it doesn't give me peace of mind at all. As a matter of fact, it really pisses me off - because for some reason I am convinced my problem is BB's and they are so smart, sneaky and stealthy that they are hiding from me, can detect my odd sleeping patterns and know when I am looking!

Last night I was up all night reading about, of course, bb's - laid down at 4am until 7am, wearing pants tucked into socks and long sleeves - woke up to two bites that popped out this afternoon - one on my hand and one on my wrist. I know we can't tell by bites alone - but my gosh if my bites aren't moving around based on what skin is exposed How did those buggers know I was sleeping for that short time? Isn't there even ONE stupid one in the bunch who will crawl out so I can see it? Isn't there one slow stupid one who might get crushed in my sheets for me to find? Come on!!!!

thank you so much for all your input!! thank you so much for sending the monitors! I'm hoping to be able to get to the dermatologist soon....

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 30 2013 14:53:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bear with me on this one. I have to say I 100% HATE bed skirts for so many reasons, the main one however is that they are designed to make people feel better about not cleaning under and around the bed by simply hiding things.

If you must use one and it is on all four sides of the bed simply tuck the middle of the head end under the mattress so that it does not overlap or interfere with the placement of the monitor.

Exposed skin reaction does not equal bedbugs, it just tells us that whatever is causing the issue is connected with exposed skin. I spent some time today emailing someone who was stuck in a negative feedback loop of bedbug anxiety. The more she stressed herself the more she convinced herself she has a problem. It is a common slippery slope everyone needs to avoid from time to time and often knowing it is there helps to avoid it tripping you up.

Hope that makes sense and that not focusing on things will give you a better rested state.

David

16. bugsonme

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 30 2013 21:10:06
    #

Login to Send PM

It does, thank you. It's just that I know my skin well ... and I know something is biting me. Every single day, I convince myself all day that it's not bed bugs. Impossible - there would be some traces, right? Then every morning when I break open that vitamin E and realize that I'm spreading it over more and move of my body and none of them are completely healing ... then it becomes, "Where are they?" I must find and kill the.

I'm not sure how much of it is my own psychosis at this point. I find myself looking at other people's arms and thinking how nice, they're clear and smooth. It's a reminder that mine, for the first time in my 41 years, are not. And there's some problem - that I must find.

I pray every day it's a rare (deadly, even) skin disorder, and not bed bugs.

I appreciate the support. And the kind words.

I will keep the bed skirt and follow your advice. However I must note, that under my bed at this particular junction in my life is the cleanest it has ever been I just like the way it looks. And I'm trying to keep things normal as I am still unpacking from my move.

Do you think it's ok to unpack my clothes?

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 30 2013 21:18:58
    #

Login to Send PM

bugsonme - 7 minutes ago  » 

I pray every day it's a rare (deadly, even) skin disorder, and not bed bugs.

Please don't do that. I know how stressful bed bugs are, but they are not deadly -- and that's a good thing -- and you will get through this.

18. bugsonme

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 30 2013 21:29:36
    #

Login to Send PM

You're right and thank you for (always) having a sane perspective.

I imagine most everyone on this site feels the same way but the mind does dirty, dirty things to you at 3am when you're holding clear tape and a flashlight ... you know.

I'd love to hear more stories from those I've seen posting here who searched and searched .. about what they eventually did or did not find - whether bb's or not. Also, as others say, more success stories too.

For myself, just being able to post pictures of all the strange bugs I find in my apartment has been a big factor in keeping me sane - I was convinced they were all bed bugs

19. bugsonme

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 30 2013 21:44:52
    #

Login to Send PM

And David...

Hopefully the one on your bed has now been clear for long enough to offer some peace of mind that the issue is not related to bedbugs.

I must admit. Now that I know the one on my couch has been placed properly and is clean, I do feel some peace of mind.

Thanks

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 30 2013 23:24:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, to read the success stories, go to the success stories forum.

There's no specific forum for people to post about misdiagnoses or other causes (perhaps there should be), but there are a lot of stories like that. Some are tagged as "other causes", and there are probably a lot under the identification/detection forum if you search.

21. bugsonme

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 30 2013 23:42:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I think that's a good suggestion - a misdiagnosed or something quirky even more specific than "other causes" ... I bet it would cut down on the "are these bites" posts that most of the replies are expert broken records of read the FAQ

22. bugsonme

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 30 2013 23:47:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Oops I wasn't finished! Sorry got away from me somehow. Tired fingers.

Whenever I see any post someone talking about finding out their case of mystery bites was caused by anything else I cling to every detail so compare my situation. Recently, someone posted they searched and went through absolute hell over what turned out to be a side affect of krohn's (sp?) disease and I just wanted more.

Maybe those who don't "connect' on this forum (in the way that I have and received such enormous help) wouldn't come back after finding out it wasn't bb related - after posting in the heat of their stress, etc....

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,685 posts in 50,015 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me