Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Beyond suspicious bites, search, and next steps in Denver?

(4 posts)
  1. Nofear

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jul 4 2017 14:56:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all and happy Independence day!

Exactly 19 days ago I noticed what appeared to be a bite near my ankle while I was at work one evening. By morning, a trio of bites had emerged leading upwards on my leg.

Despite them being suspicious, I tried not to stress even though I have a clinical anxiety condition. Part of dealing with that is to move through it despite feeling panicked.

Because I did feel panicked though, I scheduled the only reak certified dog in Colorado to come the next time in would be in the area about 10 days later.

I actually was set to cancel because I'd hadn't experienced anything else and had searched the sofa I'd been sleeping on for week's due to pneumonia as thoroughly as possible and couldn't find anything.

Ironically, the day the dog was to come welts emerged on my shoulder in the evening at work again so I had the dog come.

I had the dog search my car and the condo I'm renting and it got no alerts. However, despite the credentials of the sweet dog the handler didn't seem 100% sure that it would alert for a super low level infestation, does not locate the bugs upon alert, and hid vials of bed bugs in my space to "get the dog going". I've had dog searches before I moved from DC to Colorado and that was never the case. At one point the vial fell to the floor but the handler reassured me they couldn't get out. I even held the vials of bugs to try to overcome my fear!

Anyway, literally the next morning I had more bites and have noticed them pretty reglularly dice. They are primarily from the knees down, sand less on upper quadrant like hands, shoulders, etc. Most are in a pretty definitive live line of 3-4 but seen to,take time to fully appear and develop.

I thoroughly searched the sofa again the best I could excluding taking the dust cover off the bottom and obviously can't get toall parts, have not moved from sleeping on it in purpose, and have interceptors on the feet but have only found a beetle trying to get into one. I have found no definitive fecal stains or skins.

It took me hours to search the sofa and cushions with a flash light and magnifying glass. There is NO way I can or will do my entire 900 square foot condo that way...it would take months!
    Because these bites are so classically suspicious and very itchy, What are my next steps?

Try a different dog? Contact a PCO? If so, who in the Denver/Golden area...as I have little faith in those in CO...it doesn't appear this issue is being well taken care of in this part of the country. I'd even be willing to pay to get thoroughly treated but by who and would they even do it with no hard evidence? Pours I love in connected housing, privately owned condo's.

I've been drying my clothes, putting them in trash bags and just wearing those clothes when I leave but I won't live that way forever. Our if town guests are supposed to be coming but I don't want them to be exposed, nor do I feel comfortable visiting others until there is resolution.

Mostly, my level of anxiety and feeling out of control along with the amount and itchiness of these bites is the worst. Let me add my legs are covered with long skinny pants 90% of the time with the exception of looser pj pants and rarely a nightgown when I sleep.

I know there is a ton of info, I'd just like steps to take in priority order as I feel overwhelmed and almost paralyzed by anxiety at this point.

2. Nofear

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jul 4 2017 15:00:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Pardon the typos...auto correct, ugh!

3. Jaywasane

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jul 8 2017 0:07:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Any news? Seems like you were doing the right things.

Not a Pro I just spend to much time researching BB's.
  4. NY_lady

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jul 8 2017 11:02:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I just spent the last month in a similar situation except I had more than 40 bites. No evidence of bb, except the bites. First PCO I called claimed to find a bb casing but did not leave it for me . I called a big nyc PCO with a good reputation to come to my house. The dog handler conducted a pre search and found nothing. I was advised not to clean the house for 14 days and they woukd come back and conduct the dog sweep. Theory was if I was getting this many bites, there should be physical evidence in that timeframe. I freaked out but agreed. As the handler was leaving she saw me release my pets from the bathroom and asked if they were allowed on furniture or in the bedroom. The answer was yes but they were on monthly flea preventative. They recommended calling my vet to change the brand . I called the vets office and they told me to order Capstar, a pill that kills fleas in 4 hours, and called in an order for a newer flea treatment for fleas and mites since there have been reports of resistance to the brand I was using. That day I gave our pets the Capstar and continued to fret about the possibility of bed bugs(made numerous posts here about the insects collected in my interceptors. ) Within 2 days we stopped receiving bites. I still wasn't convinced so I kept the appointment for the dog check. Both the handler and dog found no evidence of bb. I can only guess that our pets had brought mites or fleas in the home at some point although I never saw evidence of tgat other than scratching. Am I still super diligent about checking for bb - absolutely. The interceptors will stay on and I will search for traces each week while I clean but right now pet parasites seem more plausible than bed bugs. I wish you luck.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123