Best way to check laundry temperature?

(8 posts)
  1. storm23

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Sep 23 2012 10:55:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a couple of companies coming this week to inspect & go over options, but it seems like most of the time, washing/drying clothes and bagging are a pretty typical preparation procedure before treatment. So, I'm trying to be prepared with information at least for when I start any prep work they tell me I'll need to do before treatment.

I have a concern about my dryer in that I don't know if it gets hot enough. What is the best way to check the temperature of the clothes to see that they've been evenly heated through to the proper temp? What kind of thermometer should I use? Will the temperature it does reach impact how long I need to leave the clothes after it reaches that temperature?

2. 2r4m

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Sep 23 2012 11:09:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I brought a really cheap thermometer. After running my dryer on high heat for an hour i would open the dryer and put the thermometer in the middle of the clothes. I would leave it there for a minute to get a reading . As long as you dont over crowd the clothes it should be good.

3. storm23

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 24 2012 13:40:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks 2r4m. When you say cheap thermometer would that be like just a regular thermometer that a person would use or maybe a kitchen thermometer? Digital? I'm hoping my dryer is ok, the clothes just dont feel all that hot (warm, but not hot) when I've take them out before it stops on it's own but at the end of the dry cycle, even after running it through a couple of cycles.

4. 2r4m

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 28 2012 19:16:29
    #

Login to Send PM

It cost me a dollar at walmart. Its those ones you can use inside or outside. Since i live in a home, my dryer never dried the clothes right all the way. so I took most of my stuff to a laundromat. I then hired a person to come and re route my ventation system for my dryer and had him clean it out. Now my wet clothes dry in less then 10 minutes. I guess you can invest and use whatever therometer makes you feel comfortable. I hope it works out for you

5. 2r4m

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 28 2012 19:19:09
    #

Login to Send PM

but if you feel like your dryer never really gets hot I would look into finding a company that specializes in dryers. I would have them see how they can help improve it. or maybe they just need to give it a deep cleaning. cost money, but Its worth the piece of mind

6. Canuck

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Sep 29 2012 13:20:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Could also try the ThermaSpots - here is Nobug's blog post on them. Sheree

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  7. Neverthought

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Sep 29 2012 15:26:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Storm23 - Since ALL the laundry I have been doing.... I noticed it was taking my dryer longer then usual to get things dry. I took a shop vac and took the back of the dryer off - of course unplugging it first - and I also took the lint tray out thing out - I have an old dryer and sure can not afford to replace a dryer - so anyways, I took the back off, swept it with a shop vac I got at Big Lots for 11.00 - its handy & little so im not lugging around a big shop vac. It came with a crevice tool and a flat tool, like something you would clean your car seats with.
    I took out the lint tray and it was filled with lint! I took that outside and cleaned it really good. Swept all the dust and lint -
    Pretty easy job & hopefully will save me in buying a dryer.
    After I did that, I noticed the clothes were getting dryer, faster and they seemed much hotter to the touch. I wish I would have read this before I did that. I would have taken temp readings before and then after. But in my dryer case, doing that cleaning seemed to help in the amount of time and how hot it gets.

Hope this helps.

8. goingcrazybb

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Sep 29 2012 20:50:06
    #

Login to Send PM

A few days before our first heat treatment my dryer was taking 2 hours to dry wet clothes. I was worried that it was not getting hot enough with the dry clothes to kill whatever was living in them. I cleaned the lint trap with the shop vac and replaced the hose. After doing that it has worked like a charm. We are a family of 5 and have had 2 heat treatments so it has been worknig overtime. Good luck.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,797 posts in 49,805 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991