Best (affordable) bedbug monitors?

(14 posts)
  1. dulcamara

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 10 2014 0:23:28
    #

Login to Send PM

In January we stayed at a hotel that I believe had bedbugs. After doing what treatment we could to clothes & other items, I've wanted to set up some monitors at home to hopefully detect whether any came back with us (would place them under the bed, sofa, possibly even car).

What are some good traps for this purpose? Searching online I see a wide variety of them - am guessing some are just gimmicks that don't work well, others possibly expensive for our needs, so I'm looking for the best middle ground - ones that work but are sensibly priced.

2. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 10 2014 0:39:15
    #

Login to Send PM

On Feb 6, 2014, David, a pest control pro who volunteers here, wrote in the How Do I Know If I am BB Free thread, http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/how-do-i-know-if-am-bb-free:

I recommend different monitors and products for different solutions mainly based on if the room is occupied or unoccupied.

In your case as with for QC of treatment, for QA of thermal and as part of an ongoing strategy of early detection necessity was the mother of invention and I developed a solution which was launched in 2009.

Others have linked to some of the resources but there is a lot more written on the forum and within my main website.

Forum link: http://bedbugger.com/usefulstuff/
    David's main website: bed-bugs.co.uk/bedbugpassivemonitors.html

Also, it's helpful to read FAQs for bed bug related info (see gray bar above).

JustChecking, not a therapist / bug pro
    Please click my user name on the left for these threads:
    (OR go through my thread starter list OR use the search engine)
    --->stress busters --->energy boosters
    --->songs of hope and faith --->help U sleep tonight
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 10 2014 3:15:22
    #

Login to Send PM

There's a FAQ on monitors too.

You're going to get different answers from the different pros here.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. dulcamara

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 10 2014 14:51:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 11 hours ago  » 

Yes, I read the FAQ. Between the pros plugging their products and the site's own affiliate relationship with a store, it's hard to know what's being recommended solely because it makes someone a few bucks. In the FAQ and links posted above, the only recommended active monitor (sold via the affiliate US Bedbugs) is $50 plus shipping & not including refills - at that rate we'd be nearing $300 pretty quick.

I was really hoping to hear from people with no vested financial interest, who have used active monitors that worked for them in their homes.

5. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 10 2014 16:09:51
    #

Login to Send PM

The best one to use is free!! You can make them out of everyday household items. I'm on a phone so I can't type it all out but if you want to give me a ring I'll walk you through the process.

You can find my number by going to my website. bootapest.com

Regards,
    John Furman
    Boot A Pest, Inc.
    New York's "Best Bed Bug Exterminator" NY Magazine

6. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 10 2014 18:11:49
    #

Login to Send PM

The best one to use is free!!

FREE!!! I think you had every mom (and others, but I'm a mom, so that's what I went with) on here that lives and breaths by a budget with that one sentence!! Please explain this free method of which you speak.... Inquiring (and budget friendly) minds want to know (or at least I do ).

7. dulcamara

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 10 2014 22:06:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep, I would love to hear about that too John! I sent you an email as well.

It would be extremely useful to the community I think. The BedBug Beacon is the only active monitor recommended by the FAQ (and by the link above). It's $50 a pop not including shipping and refills - for any real coverage at my house we're looking at over $200 to start. And I always get a little antsy when a product is recommended via affiliate link (as this forum as with US Bedbugs). Or when pest controllers try to sell me their own product, as happened in my earlier thread.

I was hoping to hear from actual folks about active monitors they can verify worked for them. But of course instructions for a DIY one would be great.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 11 2014 1:18:48
    #

Login to Send PM

dulcamara - 10 hours ago  » 

Nobugsonme - 11 hours ago  » 

Yes, I read the FAQ. Between the pros plugging their products and the site's own affiliate relationship with a store, it's hard to know what's being recommended solely because it makes someone a few bucks. In the FAQ and links posted above, the only recommended active monitor (sold via the affiliate US Bedbugs) is $50 plus shipping & not including refills - at that rate we'd be nearing $300 pretty quick.
    I was really hoping to hear from people with no vested financial interest, who have used active monitors that worked for them in their homes.

Hi Dulcamara,
    Your post was automatically misdirected into the spam filter. It's restored now.

I appreciate where you're coming from and I totally respect that but perhaps I can clarify things a bit.

I don't know of active monitors which are less expensive than the Beacon and recommended by experts here but would be very happy to recommend them if they're brought to my attention. The Verifi is much more expensive to maintain and run and the experts here have not been recommending these. The same goes for the $350 Nightwatch.

As for passive and interceptor monitors, note there are far more we could be advertising and aren't, based on expert input and user feedback, for what it's worth. And every week I turn down at least one advertiser of some product or another.

The site runs affiliate ads, Google and Bing ads, in order to support itself. I would not have been able to keep the site as a resource for people for going on 8 years otherwise. Most people never shop through those affiliate ads and that's okay too. I also recommend a lot of products like MattressSafe which -- as far as I know-- has not paid us a cent for advertising, because the products are recommended by experts and have passed tests.

That said, the FAQs don't recommend products which people here don't use and rarely recommend those which haven't passed independent entomologist's tests.

We also have plans linked to for the dry ice monitor which can be free or more expensive than the Beacon to run, depending on your access to dry ice. It is also not for everyone due to safety/skill set issues. We have not had positive feedback from the experts on other DIY active monitor plans you can find on the internet, which involve 2L bottles and yeast.

It sounds like KillerQueen is going to advise you on making your own passive or interceptor traps and I wish he would share this publicly, since a lot of people aren't going to call to follow up.

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 11 2014 14:21:40
    #

Login to Send PM

dulcamara - 16 hours ago  » 
    I was hoping to hear from actual folks about active monitors they can verify worked for them. But of course instructions for a DIY one would be great.

Hi Dulcamara,

With regards active monitors I tested the Beacon when it first came to the market and published a report online (link below):

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/resultsofongoingfieldtrialsofthebedbugbeaconactivemonitor.pdf

I use them in situations where the room is not occupied and we need to either confirm bedbugs or as a QC post treatment if the room is not occupied. They are very reliable and you get the best capture between days 3 - 5 so don't worry if you don't immediately see bedbugs running towards it.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  10. Koebner

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 11 2014 15:18:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Assuming you're asking for consumers reviews; I use David Cain's passive monitor - it's simple & effective & you can use it on beds or couches providing the space is inhabited. Closets aren't ideal harbourages & I wouldn't expect to find BBs in there unless the problem was well-established, by which time you'd have plenty of other evidence (fecal traces, eggs & shed skins) in more usual places.

As I understand the technology, the Beacon can't reliably out-compete humans when it comes to attracting BBs, so using passives make more sense in one's home.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 11 2014 19:17:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Dulcamara,
    Did you see the section on the DIY dry ice monitor from the monitors FAQ? It's under the "active monitors" section. There are links to how to build one.

One user here found it cost him more than the Beacon due to the difficulty of keeping fresh dry ice, but technically, it could be "free" depending on your access to dry ice.

12. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 11 2014 23:28:59
    #

Login to Send PM

What KQ is referring to is good ole fashion cardboard.

Bed bugs will crawl into the open crevices present in corrugated paper, aka cardboard, and this is used by many folks working with live bed bugs in the laboratory setting.

It's basically "free" and cardboard, card stock, etc. can be used for this.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 12 2014 0:11:16
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 41 minutes ago  » 
    What KQ is referring to is good ole fashion cardboard.
    Bed bugs will crawl into the open crevices present in corrugated paper, aka cardboard, and this is used by many folks working with live bed bugs in the laboratory setting.
    It's basically "free" and cardboard, card stock, etc. can be used for this.
    Hope this helps ! paul b.

Hi Paul,
    Thanks--
    Would you stick this between mattress and frame, or stick it to the mattress?

14. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 12 2014 1:02:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm . . .

Perhaps "stick this" isn't the best choice of words, huh?

However, I suppose you could place suitably sized pieces of cardboard anywhere and everywhere because it's so cheap and easy to use. One problem with placements under a mattress is that the weight of the mattress may "crush" or collapse the cardboard thus harming the utility thereof.

There are folks working on a device configuration which will help in this regard but a clever and resourceful do it yourselfer type person can come up with viable ways of using such things.

Corrugated paper, aka cardboard, works well with cockroaches and bed bugs. And, when cockroaches inhabit cardboard it's amazing how many and how densely they pack themselves in there.

pjb

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19