Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo [BPPV]

(6 posts)
  1. professor_fate

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 4 2008 13:55:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm wondering if any of you other human hosts of the bedbug species have also recently acquired Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo [BPPV].

For me, the 1st onset began on the morning after my first visit from the DPH insect inspector. For more than a week, while trying to comply with his new list of orders & demands, a new wave of highly disruptive dizziness seemed to jump up on me every few minutes. Almost every head motion would set it off.

So finally, after waiting too long for it to subside, I visited the urgent care ward and got a diagnosis.

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo [BPPV]

So anyway, room spraying is supposed to commence today--but I've still got a great many things not yet packed. Only about half the boxes are sealed in the black hefty bags. I finally got a Metro locker open yesterday, with only enough time to get four boxes in before lockup.

A laundry truck came this morning, generously sent by a local saint. Still, not all my clothes made it out yet.

Too dizzy from the vertigo, too confused by weeks of sleeplessness, too annoyed by the lack of any contact or assistance; I sit now in a coffee shop using the wi-fi on my Dell Axim X51v -- my sole connection to the internet, and apparently to any signs of civilization...

kmk

2. Gingerbug

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 4 2008 22:59:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi kmk-

I have had BPPV. I had my first episode about 3 months ago a few days after doing some inverted yoga poses (head and hand stands, specifically.) I don't think there is any correlation with bed bugs per se and BPPV, but I think the lack of sleep can affect BPPV symptoms. I found I was more dizzy on days I didn't have much sleep. I wonder if it had to do with the calcium carbonate crystals having no time to settle in the ear canal during sleep. Also, lots of tossing and turning to get comfortable physically and emotionally with bedbugs can affect you, I bet, as your vertigo is "positional" in nature. Also, alcohol and caffeine consumption and being dehydrated can exacerbate symptoms of BPPV.

We are not sure if we have bedbugs - I am on this forum because of bug bites, and we are now thinking/hoping that they are from chiggers as we have all responded well to perethrin treatment to the skin. But I sympathize with your BPPV symptoms and could not imagine going through both BPPV and bed bugs at the same time. Both involve such a lack of control.

In my experience, BPPV does get better; I am symptom free - it took three weeks, and a self-imposed Epley Maneuver. You might want to check out the Dizzy Lounge, an online support group for those suffering from vestibular(inner ear) disorders. Lots of helpful info re: how to alleviate symptoms. Good luck.

3. Angelica

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 6 2008 14:25:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there, I am a victim of bedbugs but I am also an audiologist, one to diagnoses and treats those with hearing loss and balance issues. Bedbugs do not cause BPPV, it is caused by a displacement of crystals in the inner ear, picture solid fruit in jello. If the jello is hit hard enough or the jello breaks down the fruit will come out. If the fruit moves somewhere it is not supposed to be, such as your eye, it will cause some bad symptoms. That is what is going on here for some reason (that bedbugs cannot cause) the crystals have been displaced, but they move to fluid filled tubes that should not have crystals in them causing you to be dizzy. As the previous poster mentioned, tossing and turning in bed can cause the symptoms of BPPV, along with stress and sleep deprivation that make you emotional and mentally drained make it worse.

4. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 6 2008 17:26:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Angelica for the sound analysis and insight. It's always good to separate fact from possible fiction early on.

5. professor_fate

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2008 17:32:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Right. Just because bedbugs cause a complete overhaul in one's sleeping pattern, it doesn't mean that their secretions can also make one dizzy. Although I first noticed some dizzyness, etc., upon starting to capture the insects (of which I've jarred well over a hundred now) each and every dawn, the real probelems began after the inspector ordered me to dispose of all my possessions. After loading and shifting a few boxes around, it started feeling like the tilt-a-whirl.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2008 22:27:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi professor_fate,

I am curious. You may not want to say anything about your specifics, and if so, I totally respect that.

But what kind of inspector told you to dispose of everything? Is this because the items are seriously infested or because they're in the way, or both?

It disturbed me that you have jarred a hundred bed bugs.

Are you getting good treatment for the bed bugs?

Most people don't get told to remove everything (though it sounds like you were told to remove, rather than throw it all away).

I hope you're getting good help and will be on your way to being through with this soon.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,668 posts in 45,062 topics over 137 months by 19,786 of 20,520 members. Latest: jennm11, jes510, Jessica107