Benadryl and bed bugs

(5 posts)
  1. brekat

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 11 2012 0:00:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is my concern - I posted here a week ago with concerns that my four year old had woken up one morning with 26 little scabs/miniscule flesh colored bumps on his two thighs. The scabs were a result of him picking at them while he laid in his bed and he was not actually itchy at all. They were very bizarre and several were in groups of 3 which immediately had me sick to my stomach as we suffered bed bugs 5 years ago in an apartment (we have now lived in a single family home for 3 years with no issues at all). My son sleeps with us and so I immediately decided to have my hubby start sleeping on my son's side of the bed as my husband was HUGELY allergic to these monsters when we experienced them previously (so allergic that his swelling and itching eventually became immediate with the occurence of the bite). Its been 3 nights and nothing on the husband. (I know this can take up to two weeks but due to how intensely allergic he was and how quickly he reacted before I do take a little comfort from his clear skin...). Anyhow, my son's scabs have almost totally disappeared and I was feeling really good except now tonight he has a warm to the touch and mildly itchy red rash directly over his pubic bone, it is not distinct bumps or anything but rather a generalized red bumpy area of warm skin on his pubic bone... then we put him in the bath and immediately six small hives appeared directly above his buttocks area!! So wierd. I took him to the walk in clinic and they told me he is having an allergic reaction and to give him benadryl - he has taken it and as a result the hives and red rash are nearly gone!! Is this normal if it was bed bugs?? Does benadryl remove the hives themselves ?? Could he be allergic to bed bugs and still not itchy?? can bed bugs cause a random red rash in your pubic area where he has obviously not been bitten? (they would have had to bite through thick pj pants and underwear). I find this so bizarre and I would tell myself its likely not bed bugs except that the original bumps did have several groups of three and the six welts were in groups of two. But then what about the pubic bone area?? and why not itch?? I am so confused!!
    p.s. we have torn the beds apart and found zero evidence - which according to the faq sheet is unusual with 26 bites in one night. but why the clustered spots?? sigh.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 11 2012 0:11:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi brekat,

I recommend in future responding to the thread you already started, rather than starting a new one. This allows us to keep track of all the details you already posted and to see what suggestions have already been given by others.

None of what you describe-- the rash or the location, or even the large welts-- are typical of bed bugs. Bed bug bites do different things to different people, plain and simple. Nothing you can describe in terms of skin reactions is going to allow anyone to assess if you have bed bugs.

Is it possible? Maybe.
    Is it typical? No.
    Does that mean it's not from bed bugs? No.
    Does that mean it is from bed bugs? Also no.
    If it is bed bugs, does it mean he was bitten in your home? No-- it could have happened somewhere else.

As for your husband, it's not true that bed bug bites can take "two weeks" to appear. It can even take longer. Although this also is not typical, people can be bitten for a while and then react all at once.

I would suggest monitoring your home for bed bugs. Inexpensive passive monitors may allow you to see if you have the problem, and since you have not found anything yet, this may work better than just looking for signs when if you have them, it may be at an early stage,

You also might want to explore other causes with the doctors.

Did you ask the doctor about possible other causes of such an allergic reaction?
    I would also ask a medical professional about the effects of Benadryl, which you asked about.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. brekat

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 11 2012 2:16:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your response, I will definitely use the same thread from now on. I am leaning away from bed bugs being the culprit after reading endless posts on here - his hives are far too untypical. Too many all at once on the thighs in only one day, and then strange hives on the pubic area and under his waistband - not typical again from what I read. thank you for your thoughts.

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 11 2012 3:08:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, it's late and I may not have read your post closely. I have severe skin reactions and benadryl or something similar helps. For severe reactions, prescription is needed.

If I change laundry detergents, some of the worst places for the hives are where underwear is since it is so close to the body. I'm not sure why the legs would be worse than the torso. But it's common

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  5. buggednurse

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 3 2012 22:18:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I know this is a late response, and I am just learning about bed bugs, but the location tells me this could be something like chigger bites. Had your son been playing outside in the grass?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,173 posts in 46,246 topics over 140 months by 20,386 of 21,217 members. Latest: VAhouse, dontpanic, Koroifox