Tue Mar 1 2011 7:15:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys,
    I live in an apartment and the apartment had been infested
    with bedbugs on Oct 2010...I left the country on november and
    will be coming back in March...now I recently found out
    that bedbugs cannot survive below freezing for 2 weeks consistently. Now
    I live in Toronto and Im sure there were many weeks in jan and feb the outside
    temperature was below freezing. My question is that would there have been a time
    that the room temperature went below 0 c for 2 weeks
    consistently? Please note that the heater was off and all windows were closed.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 1 2011 7:49:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry to say its unlikely to have worked for the same reasons why leaving things outside in the snow will not reliably work.

You would need to have active cooling on the property and in which case you would damage the pipes and fabric of the building long before you get to a point where bedbugs will be killed.

In the meantime there is now also a chance that your bedbugs have infected your neighbours as they will travel to seek food. Please immediately check with all adjoining neighbours and coordinate treatment between all infected locations.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 1 2011 10:28:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Heat is a much more effective and reliable killer of bed bugs than cold. This is why, for example, most bed bug treatment protocols involve washing in hot water and drying until hot (and then drying for another 20 minutes past that) most fabric items. The washing and drying process doesn't always kill bed bugs and their eggs, but the heat will.

Getting temps low enough to kill bed bugs and their eggs basically requires taking temps lower down and keeping them at that very low temp for longer than you can rely on the weather to do in most places.

(I suppose it would be possible in Antarctica to put things outside there and have mother nature take care of the bugs, but we really are talking about temps that even Canada in the winter outside cannot be counted on to reach reliably.)

That's what the poster above is saying; he's a pest control professional with years of research and experience in treating bed bugs.

He is also, sadly, right that leaving an apartment untreated and unoccupied makes it quite likely that the bugs will have gone looking for a nearby alternative food source. I'm not suggesting that you did that on purpose; there's a lot many of us don't understand about bed bugs when we first get them.

However, it's important to understand that if bed bugs have moved into adjacent units, that fact can make your problem harder to treat. In multi-unit buildings, people see the most success when all infested apartments are treated at the same time and all units adjacent to any units found to have bed bugs are inspected. Some people don't respond to bites. If all the apartments/condos with bugs aren't treated at the same time, it's a bit like playing whack a mole: you manage to clobber the bugs one place, but then they crop up somewhere else, and you just waste a lot of energy chasing them around without fully resolving the problem.

The fastest and most cost effective overall way to eliminate bed bugs is to get an experienced bed bug professional in to inspect and treat all infested units at the same time.

4. DustinBBKiller

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 1 2011 14:51:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Studies show for freezing temps an infected item would need to be held at temps around -5C (23F) for at least 5 days. To "flash freeze" items, and shorten time frames, you'd need to get temps to -26C
    (-15F). I should note that (and i would hope that many people already know this, but you never know) as David said, it's IMPOSSIBLE to get a home that cold without surely damaging something.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,263 posts in 50,153 topics over 155 months by 21,923 of 22,419 members. Latest: frustrated1970, duracell, Parawail