Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Belongings in garage for several months, ok now?

(4 posts)
  1. ninak1219

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri May 17 2013 9:09:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I moved out of my infested apartment in early February (3 months ago). I took care of all of my items that could be treated (clothing, shoes, etc) and I'm glad to say that so far I'm bed bug free in my new place. I have left giant ziplocked bags of books, papers, picture frames, purses etc in the garage for the last 3 months. In that time we have had sub-freezing temperatures for at least a month and a half but I don't think there were 14 days of consecutive sub-freezing temps in that time (which is what I read could kill the bed bugs, I think via U of K).

Do I need to get DDVP strips for the bags of these items? Is it possible that the bugs, if there were any in those items, have been killed off? I know they can survive up to 18 months without food, but I read that is under controlled conditions, and I'm not sure in 20-40 deg weather for 6 weeks without food if they can survive.

If I get the strips, how long do I have to keep the stuff bagged up with them for?

I'm moving to a more permanent apartment in two weeks and don't want to bring anything with me.

2. ninak1219

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 21 2013 5:49:42
    #

Login to Send PM

bump

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 21 2013 6:39:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear nina,

Despite that the odds are somewhat against bed bugs surviving in your "garage stuff" as per your description, there is no guaranty that 100% of them, if any, are dead due to the variable conditions thereof. Plus, and this is a really big PLUS, why would you want to subject yourself to the totally avoidable downside risk ? ! ? ! ? ! I mean really, must you simply break out that game of Yatzee, Uno or Chutes & Ladders or, better yet, re-start your initial foray into scrap-booking right now ??? (Who does scrap-bookin these days when there's FB, Twitter and all that other kewel stuff anyways? )

If there are things that you simply must have, right now. And, note I said "must"; then you can either heat treat with like a Pack Tite (DJ you owe me a beer now), use ddvp strips to treat or thoroughly inspect and maybe alcohol wipe.

However, my gut tells me "not so much" and perhaps you're best off leaving your stuff packed up for a while longer.

OR, you can take the, let's call it the "wives approach": Anything you have packed up that you haven't used in say a few months or a year or many years, gets tossed in the trash.

Hope this helps, have a great day ! paul b.

4. ninak1219

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 21 2013 8:13:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Paul for the response. Assuming there is stuff that I don't want to get rid of but will leave it "packed up for a while longer", how much time should I give it?

Also, with the DDVP strips, how long do I need to bag up my items with the strips before I can take them out?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982