Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Believe me these ARE bites

(13 posts)
  1. tripturnedintoanightmare

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 26 2017 13:35:04
    #

Login to Send PM

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/lrrT6"><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/lrrT6"><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's been two weeks since I've started regularly getting bitten badly and furiously. I mean, my son and I have been bitten throughout all summer by what appeared to be mosquitoes (hence me panicking in June) but this time, it's different.
    Two weeks ago 5 bites in the line pattern appeared on my knee: I tried to calm down. I've had no possible exposure to bedbugs, didn't go to a hotel, didn't travel. I'm taking every precaution when my son comes back from his father's (we have shared custody) because he rents his place on airbnb. High risks but when my son comes back from his father's he doesn't have any bites now, whereas he gets bitten at my place. Some days later, more bites and every day since then more small bites and last Friday bam! Three terrible bites more or less on a line (you can see two of them on the picture above) pattern. Those are awful and totally scary: you can see pretty well that blood has been sucked/drained from me. Each time I'm watching them I'm in a panick state.
    I called the K9 team (and will be deprived again of 250 euros- ie 300 dollars- I earn only 1700 euros a month, I'm poor even though I'm a teacher, I'm in France) but they may not be able to come before next week...So plenty of time to keep freaking out.
    I also called my landlord to explain the situation and my fear, and also to ask him if he could pay at least half of the cost for the dog. He won't do anything. He doesn't know anything about bedbugs, he told me that my apartment was clean so it was impossible to have bedbugs. He told me it was my problem, not his. In France laws are very unfair, the tenant is responsible for the treatments. But it's non sense because I can break my lease whenever I want to, so it will only leave the problem to the next tenant (and obviously at the end of the day, to the owner). This is an absurd situation.
    I also found this bug (picture above) on my bed, I know it's obvious it's not a bedbug but could that bug trigger such violent skin reactions? (I believe that it can't but I'm just asking) I know the image is not clear so it will be hard to identify but if anyone knows...?

2. tripturnedintoanightmare

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 26 2017 13:38:54
    #

Login to Send PM

20170924_214918 by B Bugger, sur Flickr

20170921_204703 by B Bugger, sur Flickr

3. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 26 2017 13:49:36
    #

Login to Send PM

That appears to be a carpet beetle larvae. The hairs on them can irritate the skin in a way that appears to be bed bugs. Not sure if they can cause a reaction like you show but it's a possibility. If you've had bed bugs for as long as you suspect, you should definitely be able to find evidence of them. Make sure they do a visual inspection if the dog hits anywhere.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  4. tripturnedintoanightmare

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 26 2017 14:02:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you mp7ski for your input. I believe I may have bedbugs for only roughly two weeks (it's when regular bites in a row pattern started to show up - I panicked in June when my son and I started getting bit by mosquitoes but we had been cleared in July by the dog) so it will be hard to find evidence on my own. And even when I had a confirmed infestation after a doomed trip to Austin two years ago, I wasn't able to find evidence, I'm not good at searching. I do have passive BB monitors from David cain installed and they are clear but those bites...
    Good luck to you (I'm following your story and it's scary, I hope you didn't take them with you)

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 26 2017 14:19:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The sample is a beetle larva.

Ocean and I would encourage you down that path first and foremost Lu, especially given the skin reactions are not typical of insect bites.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  6. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Sep 26 2017 14:19:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Ya, only two weeks would be hard to find any evidence. Did you react that same way when you had bed bugs 2 years ago? How did you end up getting rid of them before?

7. tripturnedintoanightmare

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Sep 27 2017 13:53:04
    #

Login to Send PM

First thanks so much David Cain for your post. As soon as I read your post, I searched the site for info about carpet beetles and found the link to your site (http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/carpetbeetles.html). I started reading it and read it can create "a small pin prick like wound", which it isn't my case?! My reactions as you can see are violent (these ones, but i also have other bites in a row reactions that are much less violent, more bedbug like, at least, more similar to those I had when I had bedbugs for sure)...Moreover, I don't have shoes nor (dirty) socks in my bedroom, so it leaves me the option to "increase the humidity to eliminate the dry air" to try to get rid of carpet beetles hairs...This is the only thing I can do right? If I understand properly?

My fear is that it's not because I found this carpet beetle larvae that it means there's no bedbugs...I could have both, unfortunately...

mp7ski, I reacted badly but a little less violently when I had BBs 2 years ago. My story (this post: "How I brought bedbugs to France from Austin, TX") is a nightmare, after innefective multiple sprays by incompetent PCOs for months, I had to throw away ALL my belongings, had to move out (didn't take any with me) and start my life from scratch and I'm broke since then. It ruined and is still ruining my life since then. It has destroyed me.

8. tripturnedintoanightmare

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Sep 27 2017 13:59:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, the K9 team works with an entomologist. I sent them the pictures of the "bites" on my skin and the entomologist said it "could" be from an insect called scleroderma. What do the experts on this site think about it?

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Sep 27 2017 16:13:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, you're still in a good position, you're not throwing anything out and you realize that your exposure chances are very limited.
    Save your money, skip the dog, we both know exactly what the outcome will be so don't waste that money.
    This scare will pass like all the others.

10. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Sep 27 2017 18:05:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Scleroderma is a disease, not an insect. The disease is not caused by insects either.

11. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Sep 27 2017 18:53:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Scleroderma, or systemic sclerosis, is a chronic connective tissue disease generally classified as one of the autoimmune rheumatic diseases. It is not, and cannot be, caused by an insect of any kind.

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  12. tripturnedintoanightmare

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Sep 28 2017 7:38:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Big Dummy for your soothing words, I know I may be paranoid again but those bites are scary...I'm still hesitating about what to do with the dog...
    Thanks also to bugged cdn and psychologically messed up. I think the translation I found for the name of the insect is not correct, that's why you're referring to a disease (but "scléroderme domestique" in French exists as an insect, it's all over on google with pictures).

13. Bedbugmom41

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Sep 28 2017 8:09:17
    #

Login to Send PM

tripturnedintoanightmare - 30 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Big Dummy for your soothing words, I know I may be paranoid again but those bites are scary...I'm still hesitating about what to do with the dog...
    Thanks also to bugged cdn and psychologically messed up. I think the translation I found for the name of the insect is not correct, that's why you're referring to a disease (but "scléroderme domestique" in French exists as an insect, it's all over on google with pictures).

Scleroderma domesticum or Sclerodermus domesticus

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,748 posts in 49,541 topics over 153 months by 21,704 of 22,148 members. Latest: germanhippie, Sportbb42, Katieaus