Tags:

1. PerpetuallyParanoid

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Sep 10 2019 13:36:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Bug ID https://imgur.com/gallery/qla69Or

Can anyone help -is that a beetle or a bed bug? Found on me after sitting outside for about 10 kinutes and prior to that had just been swimming.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Sep 10 2019 13:40:59
    #

Login to Send PM

What are you seeing that makes you think that beetle is a bed bug?

3. Suzanne

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Sep 10 2019 15:41:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I can see that the serrated edges on the head might be cause for a second look bc a bb body has that kind of definition. . However (I hope it’s ok that I practice here BD?) the antennae is a big clue that it is not a BB. it’s also a bit puffy, not flat, and doesn’t have the “shoulders” for it to be a bb.

That being said I’m currently in recovery from thinking everything brown, red, round or oval is a bb. I’m just learning the details to look for myself.

4. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Sep 11 2019 4:44:06
    #

Login to Send PM

The biggest clue that it is not a bed bug was the sitting outside comment.

Yes, I know, there could be an old mattress lying around somewhere but I guess that wasn't the case.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Sep 11 2019 4:50:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes. Bed bugs don't have that type of antenna. Otherwise the body is not bed bug like. Atypical to find in the outdoors situation. If you try to fit a non-bed bug into the bed bug mold, your insect or mite isn't a bed bug.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Sep 11 2019 8:16:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Suzanne - 16 hours ago  » 
    I can see that the serrated edges on the head might be cause for a second look bc a bb body has that kind of definition. . However (I hope it’s ok that I practice here BD?) the antennae is a big clue that it is not a BB. it’s also a bit puffy, not flat, and doesn’t have the “shoulders” for it to be a bb.
    That being said I’m currently in recovery from thinking everything brown, red, round or oval is a bb. I’m just learning the details to look for myself.

By all means share what you know, you were dead on with the antenna description and other information.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,827 posts in 49,817 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316