Bedlam & Suspend

(8 posts)
  1. oncebittentwiceterrified

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 4 2009 17:34:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I am being treated and the method is Bedlam & Suspend. Does this sound effective and what is meant by "weekend warrior"? Should I go with this method or hire someone else?

2. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 4 2009 17:58:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not a PCO by any means. But from what I have heard of, if you are NYC area then there are a lot of stains of bed bugs that are over 200% resistant to Suspend and have been for over a year that I know of. Bedlam from what I hear has a good mortality rate.
    Not all of the treatment depends on "what" the PCO uses but also "where and how" it is applied.
    I don't know if you are in an apartment, townhouse or single family home...so I don't know what control you have as to who is hired.
    If you are in an apartment complex (other people in apartments may help here...) Is try and go not only to the super but sit and have a good one on one with the owner/manager of the building to explain the importance of IPM, persistance, of eliminating this pest, not just for the tenants sake but also for the value of the structure. There is lots of documentation now that can back you up if need be.

I personally would look for someone who uses steam as well as chemicals, and have them follow up every two weeks as needed. There is a lot of info on the net now on proper IPM when it comes to bed bugs so you can know what to look for in a good PCO. There should also be something here in the FAQs I believe on how to find a good PCO. Hope this helps.

3. oncebittentwiceterrified

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 4 2009 18:44:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, yes it does. My building says they don't have to pay for it because I brought it in (I'm not sure how though, but not at all on purpose or from doing something stupid), I'm in NYC. I can't afford an expensive or good PCO, I had to take last week off without pay thanks to the economy and am worried about overall job security. I feel like the poor, dirty person stereotype who gets bed bugs.

4. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 4 2009 19:48:00
    #

Login to Send PM

oncebittentwiceterrified - 59 minutes ago  » 
    I feel like the poor, dirty person stereotype who gets bed bugs.

{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}} You do not have them because you are dirty, never ever let that ridiculous stereotype do damage to your self esteem.. These bugs just try and destroy our lives and our self esteem. Sorry about your job, this economy is a nightmare too.
    I don't live in NYC, but I thought the landlord did have to pay for treating -- but I don't know that much about what is what in NYC. You should check on the NYC laws. I hope some of the NYC folks will give you some info. Hang in there.

5. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 4 2009 20:12:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I think (not sure, I'm in NJ) that in most cases the building owner is responsible for paying for treatment.
    Check out these FAQ's here. http://bedbugger.com/faqs/legalissues/

I hope other NYer's will chime in to help give ya a hand to direct you for how to get support in getting the LL to do what he/she needs to do. There has been some BIG meetings in NYC about the bed bug epidemic and there are more to come. If he's smart, he'll do what is right.

6. Still Fightin

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 8 2010 15:08:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I was provided with 3 cans of "Bedlum" by our exterminator after he treated our daughter's room with a sprayer, and matresses with "Bedlum" we later found a new group of 3 bed bugs, bagged them in zip lock bags and sprayed them with the Bedlum. They lived in the sealed and 'Bedlum' moistened zip locks for 24 hours until I got tired of looking at them and smashed them between my fingers... don't bet your money on Bedlum working....

7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 8 2010 15:27:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, yes it does. My building says they don't have to pay for it because I brought it in
    -------------
    Probably incorrect. In general, the landlord has to pay in a NYC rental unit. See link below, specifically the section "My landlord says that I’m the one responsible for getting rid of the bedbugs in my apartment. Is that true?' and/or call "311".

http://www.metcouncil.net/factsheets/bedbugs.htm

Richard

8. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 8 2010 23:24:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Most of us are familiar with "B e d l a m", a generally useful tool in the fight against BB. The stuff you got has a different spelling. As you have three cans you should be able to verify the spelling. Did you get a cheap imitation? Also, bear in mind that BB are such a problem because many are more resistant to chemicals (Bedlam included) that other insects, which requires an "integrated" approach, which includes heat, physical removal, exclusion, a "cocktail" of chemicals and dusts and often repeated treatments. One big NYC exterminator does, IIRC, treat with vacuuming, steam, "pro-grade" chemicals and dusts, then leaves you with cans of Bedlam to self-apply on a regular schedule. If you are not seeing relief after a few weeks, you need to escalate this. It's not your fault. BB are just tougher.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982