(5 posts)
  1. fle

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jul 27 2018 16:54:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

a few weeks ago I stayed in a hotel abroad. I'm aware of the bed bug situation, so I made sure to keep luggage etc. away from the bed. I didn't notice any bites after the stay, furthermore after the stay my luggage stayed in the car for a few hours baking in the sun.

Anyway, since the trip my SO and I once in a while noticed itching bites. Now I'm wondering if I haven't picked up any critter, but a few things seem strange to me.

The bites look like small pimples (minus the white head) and itch in the morning. If they are ignored (which is rather easy) the itching usually subsides within a day. After about two days they are gone. Shouldn't they itch for a long time if it's BB bites?

My SO had about three close to each other, while I so far only had single ones on my chest. The bites on my chest might not have been covered by the pyjama, but didn't get in contact with the mattress.

I checked our white bedsheets but couldn't find any blood stains or other spots. Are these spots a must if it's bedbug bites?

We have a bed with a slattet frame which of course gives them a gazillion places to hide. I did a shallow check but couldn't find any droppings or other signs.

Can any of the experts here give their opinion whether this could be bedbugs or are we in the clear?

Best Regards!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jul 28 2018 1:21:50
    #

Login to Send PM

You can’t determine if they’re bed bug bites based on their pattern or appearance or how long they itch. If bed bugs are present there will be fecal stains. However, those will be harder for you to detect early on.

I suspect you probably are having a skin reaction due to another common cause such as mosquitos or gnats, because of how common these are.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. fle

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jul 28 2018 7:53:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand that it's nearly impossible to identify bed bugs from bites alone. Two questions nontheless:
    If it's bed bugs, will I always/most likely find blood spots/feces on the sheet, close to where they feed (not where they hide)?
    Will bed bugs bite below/through clothing even though there are uncovered arms/legs?

Nobugsonme - 6 hours ago  » 
    I suspect you probably are having a skin reaction due to another common cause such as mosquitos or gnats, because of how common these are.

I wish it were so, however not many mosquitos around here, and if I get bitten by one it's more a larger flat welt and not the small pimple-like bite. That's what confuses me.

4. fle

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 8 2018 17:07:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry to bother you all again, but can anyone give a hint on the following questions?

If it's bed bugs, will I always/most likely find blood spots/feces on the sheet, close to where they feed (not where they hide)?
    Will bed bugs bite below/through clothing even though there are uncovered arms/legs?

Thanks!

5. micachica

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 8 2018 17:26:42
    #

Login to Send PM

If it eats it poops. If a bed bug feeds on you you’ll see the poop sooner or later

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,452 posts in 46,581 topics over 142 months by 20,545 of 21,411 members. Latest: PrismArc, unclejohn, WheelBugger