Bedbugs on Orange is the new Black

(5 posts)
  1. ReluctantHost

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 14:43:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Just watched the bed bug episode of Orange is the New Black(Season three episode three[or is it two?]). I thought the actors' reactions were spot on, tho not really any science or helpful info. They burned all the inmates' sleeping pads and I got to thinking, they're just gonna infest the new ones. Anyways I recommend watching the episode because it is pretty funny

2. Mitchygirl

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 15:00:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought the reactions were good--but not the actual portrayal of what it's like to live with and/or treat bed bugs. To be realistic--like you said--they would have had repeat infestations.

I did think the giant pot of oatmeal was funny. If only that actually worked to stop the itching of BB bites.

Ick. I really feel for anyone in that situation--especially when you have no control over how it's treated!

3. RNinNYC

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 26 2015 15:02:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Saw that too- thought they actually kind of glossed over how difficult it would be to treat an area that's so large, but entertaining nonetheless....

4. postersave

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 9 2015 16:41:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with everyone about how it wasn't very realistic how easy it was to get rid of them but it was still funny seeing their reactions. I thought everyone having their own home remedies to deal with bites and avoiding them was funny.

I also learned that kidney bean leaves do actually stop bed bugs because of little barbs they have. I looked into some more of that and scientists have been trying to come up with a synthetic version of the leaves so they can be a more permanent barrier because regular leaves dry up.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 10 2015 1:16:27
    #

Login to Send PM

ReluctantHost - 1 month ago  » 
    Just watched the bed bug episode of Orange is the New Black(Season three episode three[or is it two?]). I thought the actors' reactions were spot on, tho not really any science or helpful info.

Yes-- it's great fun and of course they get the science and best practices mostly all wrong.

Been meaning to do a blog post about it.

Definitely agree it's worth watching!

postersave - 8 hours ago  » 

I also learned that kidney bean leaves do actually stop bed bugs because of little barbs they have. I looked into some more of that and scientists have been trying to come up with a synthetic version of the leaves so they can be a more permanent barrier because regular leaves dry up.

More on the kidney bean leaf idea here for those who are interested.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

275,892 posts in 45,388 topics over 138 months by 19,944 of 20,704 members. Latest: davebentonn, Therseld1931@armyspy.com, Chivabug