(4 posts)
  1. longredscarf

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Feb 6 2018 2:58:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

Around the first of the year I moved out of the house I owned with my husband, who'd been cheating on me for ten years and then developed a drug problem to boot. It had been a brutally hard couple of years and I thought 2018 would be the start of something better. Instead it has been the start of a bedbug nightmare.

I had to move out faster/sooner than I had planned, and took the first furnished rental I could find. The very first weekend I was here, I discovered bedbugs. I got chewed alive and cried more than I thought I still had in me at this point.

I have never intended to be here for very long—I hope it'll be just another month or so until legal proceedings hit a point where I'm safe to move out of the area. But I'm so worried and depressed about the prospect of taking bedbugs with me.

The landlord had exterminators come on 1/9 and 1/23, and we got rid of the mattress that was here the day of the first spray. I had not seen any bugs since before the first spray but then I saw one tonight. It was not in the master bedroom where I got chewed up that first weekend, but rather in the second bedroom where I have stored all of my packed-up things. When I moved out I took almost no furniture, but a lot of plastic bins and cardboard boxes. These boxes and bins are stacked nearly to the ceiling in the second bedroom and I'm so so scared that everything I own in the world is infested now. I imagine bedbugs up in everything, safe and snug and never coming out to even be exposed to the poison that was sprayed, and I imagine finally leaving this town and trying to start a new life somewhere and bringing the bugs with me.

What should I do about all my boxes and bins? I already did the whole hot wash / hot dryer / plastic bag routine for all the clothing and bedding in the house so I'm talking about books, dishes, art and lamps and knick-knacks, papers, office and kitchen gadgets, craft/garden/dog supplies. Anything I felt I could part with I already did before I moved out.

Can spraying be effective when I have to assume bugs are IN everything? Would heat treatment work on taped-up boxes? Do I have to unpack everything and spread it across the floor before spraying or heat treating? And if so... really, EVERYTHING? I want to weep at the idea of even having to unpack and re-pack my books alone; I have hundreds. All this stuff, I JUST packed it up a couple months ago, and will have to unpack it in a couple more months; do I really have to do a bonus unpack and repack in between? Is there any such thing as a company that will do a heat treatment (or spray, or whatever works) on, say, a storage pod or even a moving truck full of my things, rather than my having to pay for the treatment on an entire two-bedroom house? The landlord paid for the original 2 sprays and they're within the warranty period so they'll come back, but I don't feel great about their work for obvious reasons so I'm thinking I have to find something better out of my own pocket. And it's killing me because my lawyer is spending my money faster than I can earn it right now, but I can't deal with relocating my landlord's bedbugs on top of all the other unhappiness in my life.

This is too long. Sorry, I'm a mess. Everything's so hard. While he sits in our gorgeous house getting high and telling his girlfriends how it's my fault he had to cheat on me for our entire marriage, I'm dealing with... this. Yep, I AM bitter, but at least I come by it honestly.

Help.

2. F. Pazos

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Feb 6 2018 5:36:04
    #

Login to Send PM

first, I am very much sorry for your situation...
    A few questions arouse:
    1.- did you had bed bugs in your previous home?
    2.- did you ever open the boxes in the new apartment? if so, how long and did you seal them again?
    3.- do the boxes have any holes?

I am asking this questions because maybe your situation is far less concerning as you ask and maybe we can help with some good advice....
    Once I have the answers I will give you some options, but those depend on the answers... (note that I live very far away and not always connected if I take time to reply)

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.
  3. longredscarf

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Feb 7 2018 23:31:07
    #

Login to Send PM

No bedbugs in my old house. I am quite sure they were in this house when I moved in (it is furnished, and has had mostly short-term renters, and its upkeep seems to have been slapdash at best).

Some of my boxes and bins have been opened, usually only long enough to get something out, although a couple may have stayed open for a few hours.

But even the ones that were not, I'm concerned about. My cardboard boxes were all new so no holes exactly, but even though I tend to use a lot of packing tape, I'd be afraid that if I used a strip of tape just a quarter inch shorter than the seam I was sealing, that would be enough for a bedbug to get in. And my plastic bins I don't trust to be bedbug proof at all. They are the kind with two latching handles on either end of the lid that you flip up to sort of clamp the lid onto the bin, but the plastic of the lid isn't rigid enough to keep it from bowing or flexing upwards around the edges. I don't know if I'm explaining this well, but bottom line, the seal on my plastic bins is not very good.

I would be very grateful for any thoughts you have to offer. Tonight I have been reading about Packtites and other bedbug heaters... I REALLY should be putting away every dollar I can for my lawyer but I cannot stand this situation.

Thank you!

4. F. Pazos

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 3:35:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok,
    The bed bugs will basically go back to the same place after each feeding trip, this is because they follow the pheromones in the fecal matters... it is still very possible that they hide in good places they find in the way, that is why i asked about opening the boxes for long time or if they had any holes.

As you have your boxes closed and stack on top of each other, it is very possible that some bugs had stayed on them, but I l don't believe that the bugs went actually inside (as per my experience they are kind of lazy, if they find a good place near the surface they don't really go too deep unless it is overcrowded already) as the joints between boxes will create a perfect place for them... this is talking about the boxes that you have in the room that you don't use.

As you say that the apartment is not always occupied, it is very possible that many (if not most or all) have migrated to the room that you occupy (this is backed when you say that in your first night you were eaten alive... they were hungry as hell and feast on you).

Now, all that I wrote until now are just deductions from my experience, remember that I haven't seen your home. Packtite is an amazing tool, but I understand that what you want is to move as fast as you can, what I would do:

Everything that was outside the boxes and is washable: wash in high heat with an enzime active dertergent (persil came about not long ago in this forum, but i did use Ariel too, fairy liquid kills some in the washing machine too but too foamy) and run them in the dryer (place them directly in a luggage that has the outside coated with cimexa or chinchex or delta dust or drione... up to you.

Use that same dust to paint all outsides of the boxes (if you feel better, for safety add some nuvan strips inside)

Anything that is not included in what I said, put it inside boxes with nuvan strips for a week.

All this could be done in 2 to 3 days and you would be ready to move.

KEEP IN MIND:
    This is just a fastt solution to minimize the amount of bugs that you would carry with you, once in the new place, use the same dust that you were using (among those I would recommend the ones that are pure silica) and apply to the bed and its surroundings.... Open all the boxes, suitcases and bags, remove the nuvam stripes and aerate the home and sleep normally... with this approach you have a very good chance of getting rid of what I consider your smallest concern.

And good luck with your real problems!!!!

PD... before other experts roasting me, please note that I am trying just to provide a fast and easy solution to someone who is in a desperate situation with big matters involved. I know that it is not the most ortodox approach, and that there are quite a few assumptions, but it is an approach that can give her a solution

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

270,501 posts in 44,036 topics over 133 months by 19,282 of 19,911 members. Latest: trez1336, Aegis_, paulsinn