Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Bedbugs in makeup and toiletries

(5 posts)
  1. Death2bugs567

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Feb 22 2017 2:21:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone!
    I've returned home after possible exposure to bedbugs in NYC. We saw one live bed bug (100% positive) but didn't see any other specimens where we were staying. Still, I'm not about to mess around with these nasty things, and all my stuff is doubled bagged and hermetically sealed outside the house.
    How should I deal with my makeup and toiletries? I have a ZappBug heater which is ready to use, but I'm afraid to do a heat treatment on pricey makeup that could melt or get ruined in high temperatures. Is a visual inspection and thorough cleaning of the makeup tubes and brushes with rubbing alcohol enough to treat these items? I'd really rather not throw everything out, that would be sad
    Thanks in advance!

2. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Feb 22 2017 2:41:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you share pictures of the items? Other than brushes, which can be boiled briefly, I'm not clear on what it is that you want to treat.

Account closed
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Feb 22 2017 8:00:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Generally they are very low risk items.

Place in a dry sink or bath. Separate and process the bag if feasible or continue with a hand inspection. A magnifying lens and going slowly will help.

It is not something that needs to be given much anxiety though as its a low probability event even though it is possible. There are many more attractive things to bed bugs that make up such as worn clothes and the handles/seams of bags.

Also more importantly please spend the time to watch the inspection videos so you know what to avoid in future.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. Death2bugs567

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Feb 22 2017 13:02:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David!

It's a great idea to do the inspection in a bathtub. The bugs themselves are easy to see for the most part, but I'm mostly concerned about eggs/nymphs, which are much harder. Do you have any inspection videos you recommend?

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Feb 22 2017 13:10:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

There is nothing I can recall in the public domain and its hard to create universal tools for such applications.

The best advice I can give is take your time, do things slowly and if that means doing a few items per day and resting your eyes with a walk outside in between. We do not realise how much of a strain it can put on your eyes to focus that closely until you start doing it.

Hope that gives you some pointers.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

282,433 posts in 46,993 topics over 143 months by 20,740 of 21,015 members. Latest: Hippofromvenus, befuggled, javachip