Bedbugs in CPAP machine

(16 posts)
  1. Huz647

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Feb 6 2019 0:55:57
    #

Login to Send PM

So I've had two treatments done in my room, but I caught 2 bedbugs yesterday (one under my CPAP machine which I keep on the floor). What's the likelihood they're inside the machine? And how can I treat it?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Feb 6 2019 2:19:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

While bedbugs can occupy most items and locations close to people for various reasons something like a CPAP machine is not ideal for them. Yes they may investigate it as harbourage if it’s close to the bed and ultimately it may form a bridge if the bed is isolated.

However as I said it not an object / environment that bedbugs would be attracted to.

Rather than look to treat the device I would most likely look to isolate it in a box with smooth sides and confirm there is something inside before looking at treating it.

Hope that makes sense.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Huz647

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Feb 6 2019 2:43:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there, thank you for the reply. I'm just worried because I currently sleep on the floor (because I threw out my mattress) and my cpap machine is right beside me. It's also concerning that I found two bedbugs yesterday (one under the cpap machine). I isolated the machine yesterday and put it in a bag. What kind of box are you suggesting? Right now, the only things in my room are two cabinets (not sure how to treat those), one lamp, a fan, and bedding on the floor to sleep on.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Feb 6 2019 6:23:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sounds like the bedbugs hung out there because you have given them no other option.

Throwing things out is not the way to resolve bedbugs so I can going to suggest you stop and read the FAQs and useful tools sections to start heading on the correct path.

In normal situations I would recommend placing the CPAP machine in a smooth sided plastic box so that anything inside cant get out and things int he room cant get into the machine. It is as I have said not natural for bedbugs to get into such devices but when you give them no other option they could.

I would also advise that you sort the mattress and bed out as a priority as sleep quality is essential to anyone who needs to use a CPAP as you are more likely to be impacted by reduce sleep quality than others.

On a personal level I would also advise you seek a consultation with a chiropractor as I found my sleep apnea was greatly reduced by resolving the trapped nerves rather than treating the symptoms.

David

5. SalsaVince

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Feb 6 2019 13:02:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I was also concerned about my mom's CPAP machine when I was helping with her bed bugs because of its proximity to the bed. We initially just bagged it up until we could dedicate some time to it. She was able to sleep without it for a few days. When I brought it out, I inspected it as carefully as possible. There are several parts on it that are detachable and that can be completely immersed in hot water. I did that and then poured a diluted alcohol solution through the tubes and rinsed it out. It was probably a little overkill but the idea of a bug potentially being in something she was going to hook up to her face did not sit well with me. David's suggestion of a putting it in some kind of high walled plastic container would keep them out of it after it's been cleaned.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  6. Huz647

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Feb 6 2019 16:56:19
    #

Login to Send PM

How high of a plastic container? Something like this? https://www.google.com/search?q=plastic+containers&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA785CA785&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjD3pazi6jgAhVl64MKHU4CDVwQ_AUIDigB&biw=1536&bih=754#imgrc=kxSDYatdTV73dM:

I currently have no mattress, so I just sleep on the floor.

My sleep apnea is also mild (ahi of 9). My sleep doctor also told me that the cpap machine is the best way to treat it.

7. Huz647

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Feb 6 2019 16:57:33
    #

Login to Send PM

SalsaVince - 3 hours ago  » 
    I was also concerned about my mom's CPAP machine when I was helping with her bed bugs because of its proximity to the bed. We initially just bagged it up until we could dedicate some time to it. She was able to sleep without it for a few days. When I brought it out, I inspected it as carefully as possible. There are several parts on it that are detachable and that can be completely immersed in hot water. I did that and then poured a diluted alcohol solution through the tubes and rinsed it out. It was probably a little overkill but the idea of a bug potentially being in something she was going to hook up to her face did not sit well with me. David's suggestion of a putting it in some kind of high walled plastic container would keep them out of it after it's been cleaned.

The only problem is the parts you can't inspect. That's why I'm very, very concerned about it.

8. bugged-cdn

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Feb 6 2019 19:22:50
    #

Login to Send PM

We moved during unresolved infestation. My husband's CPAP machine was a concern but I inspected it closely and wiped down all the surfaces I could reach. It was fine.

9. Huz647

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Feb 6 2019 20:25:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Will leaving my CPAP machine in the extreme cold outside (-20 Celsius) possibly kill them if they're inside?

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Thu Feb 7 2019 2:32:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

No, while prolonged controlled freezing will work exposure to cold or heat on earth via outdoors will not realiably work. If you think about the avalanche advice of “digging in” you can appreciate that an active process is needed.

David

11. Huz647

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Thu Feb 7 2019 2:36:56
    #

Login to Send PM

So should I just throw the machine then?

Also, how would you recommend treating these?

https://imgur.com/a/OaICJft

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Thu Feb 7 2019 2:43:35
    #

Login to Send PM

No, that would be a waste and without knowing 100% there is an issue and also resolving your issue it leads to the question “do you throw the new one out if you get another problem”.

I think you need to invest the time in reading the FAQs and static sections of the website which covers dealing with how to process items.

David

13. Huz647

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Thu Feb 7 2019 5:08:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Will do.

Thank you.

14. Huz647

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Feb 8 2019 17:38:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Any suggestions on what kind of box I can put my cpap machine in while using it in my room so bedbugs can't get in or out?

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Feb 9 2019 3:47:20
    #

Login to Send PM

One with smooth sides they can’t climb.

David

16. Huz647

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Feb 10 2019 1:02:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it possible to post an example?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,727 posts in 50,022 topics over 155 months by 21,871 of 22,354 members. Latest: mrdinosaur, BedBugNinja, citycpap