Bedbugs in Apartment - HELP

(1 post)
  1. MLG

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 15 2015 19:47:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Over the weekend, my apartment flooded, and my landlord offered to let me move down the hall one apartment. As I began my move, I moved my couch + living room rug, and then the bed. I went to put the bedskirt on my box spring, and found a single bug. Upon further search of my mattress, I found another. I panicked, and began scouring all of the blankets I keep on my bed. All were clean except one, where I found 4 or 5 more bugs, ranging from teeny tiny to what I assume is full grown bed bug. I took several bugs to the extension office (they are officially bed bugs), and killed the rest (after several more through flashlight scours).

So far, I have:
    1. Sprayed IN MY NEW APARTMENT my couch, living room rug, box spring, mattress, and carpet with isopropyl alcohol and several doTERRA essential oils (peppermint, lemongrass, cedarwood, clove). I have sprayed at least 6 times in 24 hours.

2. Taken 100% of my bedding & clothing from my OLD apartment to the laundromat, washed in hot water, and dried several times in high heat.

What is my next step? My landlord has been informed, and I am in a complete panic.
    Do the clothes in my closet + dresser on the other side of my OLD bedroom need to be boiled/dryed?

My other concern is this: I'm not sure where they're coming from. I took a train to/from Chicago exactly one week ago. That is one option (in my mind). The other is from adjacent apartments. A friend said I would not have seen fully grown bugs within a week (if I brought them from the train). I have very little clutter in my home, and vacuum once or twice a week. I do have a cat.

I can not afford an exterminator, but I'm concerned that if the bugs are coming from other apartments, they'll never go away. Should I move? Did I catch them early? Is there hope? Do I need to destroy my couch or the rug in my bedroom?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,545 posts in 46,823 topics over 143 months by 20,658 of 21,555 members. Latest: ykngrggpus, DoIHaveBB, Dread Bugs