Bedbugs attack moving/standing people?

(16 posts)
  1. Buggoutz

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Sep 4 2019 12:23:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everybody, I've been reading up the contents on this forum. During the process, I've encountered 2 thing:

A) Bedbugs don't bite on moving or standing hosts. They will wait until the host is still.

B) Bedbugs can chase after moving people if hungry.

In my understanding, B would typically happen indoor. So, I'm just wondering, in outdoor, do hungry bedbugs still be able to be that aggressive? In outdoor environment, say a pile of mattresses on the street, do hungry bedbugs come out and latch on nearby pedestrians?

As for my situation, it is a bit unique one. To go to the bus stop, I have to go through an intersection, but there is a pile of mattresses right next to a traffic light and around 1 metre (3 feet if I'm not wrong?) away from pedestrians. The wait time is 1.5-2 minutes, and I do try move my legs a bit during the wait, i.e. not completely still. On top of that, I have to work late, so when I return, I'm often the only one waiting at that intersection. Is it a high risk situation? Am I only at risk if i lie on them mattresses?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Sep 4 2019 12:29:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Only at risk through contact or extremely close proximity to mattresses for prolonged periods of time.

There are plenty of random sources of CO2 they will encounter so they rarely wander without being certain they will get food and can get back home.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Buggoutz

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Sep 4 2019 12:42:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. It sure helps.
    From what you said, it seems that indoor bedbugs are more reckless, or some people are exaggerating? This thread for example, esp the second comment, sounds like a horror story.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Sep 4 2019 16:27:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

As it happens that user never had bedbugs but pscocid.

So yes people do not take much personal responsibility for their comments in terms of accuracy or impact on others.

David

5. Buggoutz

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Sep 4 2019 22:38:14
    #

Login to Send PM

So, as long as it's not an isolation attempt (where aggressive bedbugs are actually possible, I believe), they won't latch on standing people? I'm mainly worried because the mattresses have sit there for weeks.

6. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Sep 5 2019 0:24:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Let me translate David‘s answer to you: the guy on the Thread is taking bullshit and has absolutely no clue at all. He didn‘t have bb what means he wasn‘t attacked by them.

They won‘t come running out of their hide and attack you. They need some time to feed. They are not reckless or aggressive.

7. Buggoutz

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Sep 5 2019 7:44:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Mawiwala - 7 hours ago  » 
    Let me translate David‘s answer to you: the guy on the Thread is taking bullshit and has absolutely no clue at all. He didn‘t have bb what means he wasn‘t attacked by them.
    They won‘t come running out of their hide and attack you. They need some time to feed. They are not reckless or aggressive.

I think you misunderstood my last comment. The last comment is not about that thread. It's about the isolation threads, but there are lots of them so I didn't link them here. The general consensus of isolation debate is that, once bedbugs are isolated from the bed, they can latch on standing and moving people, as they're do desperate. Hence, I wonder if such scenario could happen outdoor or not, or it is exclusive to those cases that involve isolation techniques.

8. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Sep 5 2019 9:35:24
    #

Login to Send PM

You forgot something about bed bugs. They are attracted to your breath. When you move around, bed bugs can't make out the source and thus don't even know where to go.

Well, and they are not ninjas. They will just fall off a walking person. If you stand or sit still for a (long) period of time near a hiding place we can debate this. But they won't latch onto a walking person. You are safe.

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Sep 5 2019 9:35:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I don’t think they “latch on” in those settings. There is a fundamental flaw in the approach and that’s simply not how most bedbugs get passed isolation.

If the approach worked there would be lots of data from between 1861 and the 1950’s such as old isolation devices. They simply don’t exist because others worked out a long time ago this approach fails.

I appreciate it’s still very much heresy to say this but not all of us “drink the Koolaid”. In fact to paraphrase a discussion I had with an academic “yes I read the paper where it took them 65 days to clear an office, I don’t see that timeframe as success. In fact there comes a point in time where you have to ask yourselves why most of you are chasing bedbugs around and some of us get them to do what we want and yes that time is long passed”.

David

10. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Sep 5 2019 10:49:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Buggoutz - 22 hours ago  » 
    Hello everybody, I've been reading up the contents on this forum. During the process, I've encountered 2 thing:
    A) Bedbugs don't bite on moving or standing hosts. They will wait until the host is still.
    Am I only at risk if i lie on them mattresses?

A) Your stride and speed don't even come into play, as long as you're not dragging yourself across the floor of an infested room this should not be a concern.
    B) Not true at all.

Yes, as long as you're not on an infested mattress in the street I wouldn't be the least bit concerned.

11. Buggoutz

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 6 2019 9:19:47
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 22 hours ago  » 

Buggoutz - 22 hours ago  » 
    Am I only at risk if i lie on them mattresses?

A) Your stride and speed don't even come into play, as long as you're not dragging yourself across the floor of an infested room this should not be a concern.
    B) Not true at all.
    Yes, as long as you're not on an infested mattress in the street I wouldn't be the least bit concerned.

Stride and speed don't apply for standing people, right? Because in my case (waiting for traffic light), although I don't stand completely still, my movements are not that much, like lightly stamping my foot or shaking legs. There is no speed involved.
    But as far as I can tell, if I dont stand very close for prolonged duration (in my case, the distance is around 3 feet, and the duration of traffic light is 2 min), it should be fine, right, even if the bedbugs are very hungry?

12. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 6 2019 10:33:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I think I spelled it out very clearly. I'm not sure how you can quote my post and ask the same question over again.
    If what you believe to be true were actual fact, every person in every city would have bed bugs. They're just insects, your attributing higher functions to a creature that just doesn't work in that manner.

13. Buggoutz

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 6 2019 12:52:33
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 2 hours ago  » 
    I think I spelled it out very clearly. I'm not sure how you can quote my post and ask the same question over again.
    If what you believe to be true were actual fact, every person in every city would have bed bugs. They're just insects, your attributing higher functions to a creature that just doesn't work in that manner.

I mean, my question includes both standing and moving people, with more focus on standing ones, but most of the answers focus on moving ones. If I stand in one place, then stride and speed dont come into play.

14. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 6 2019 15:27:15
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 4 hours ago  » 

BigDummy, you forget that bed bugs are ninjas, have lightning speed, little claws to climb people and latch on to everyone around. And of course they hide just to spite you and only come out of hiding when you already feel safe. Smart little buggers. Nobody is safe.

15. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 6 2019 15:38:26
    #

Login to Send PM

An Irish Jig is your only defense.
    Michael Flatley never had a bed bug problem.

16. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Sep 7 2019 9:23:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Buggoutz - 20 hours ago  » 

BigDummy - 2 hours ago  » 

I mean, my question includes both standing and moving people, with more focus on standing ones, but most of the answers focus on moving ones. If I stand in one place, then stride and speed dont come into play.

They won’t come for you, even when you stand there. The question was answered by David in his first post.

If you still don’t believe us, I suggest jumping while standing near the mattress. This will prevent bb from reaching you and every imaginary, aggressive bed bugs will be killed when you jump on them.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82