Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Bedbugs at work after 3 sprayings. Advice needed.

(18 posts)
  1. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 22:36:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, my employer has had 3 treatments for bb and yet earlier this week yet another one was found. This is in the US.

This is an open work area in a department manned 24/7 which is why I believe they concentrate in the area. One worker brought them in and he just moved into yet another furnished apartment and others here think he still has them. I had brought a few home but haven't seen any since treatment . Am still itchy but unsure of cause.

To avoid (re) infestation, I was not bringing my shoes or coat into my apartment. Now I am leaving work shoes here. My coat stays in a private bathroom.

What, if anything, else can I do to avoid bringing them home? My boss refuses to demand people bag coats or backpacks etc..,

There are 6 glue traps around but the back if the desk--by the wall--is a heap of material that used to be under our old desk. (New plastic desk, metal chair, may removed.) it's about 1/4 inch high, looks like dead bugs and if I'm not mistaken, rodent droppj gas (we had mice a few years back).

What can I do? I had janitorial clean under my desk tonight. It's tile. Should I spray? Put my feet in a bucket to keep the bb off? I can't help but have the heebie jeebies. I used to keep 91% alcohol here and soaked my sneaks in it time to time. And under the desk sometimes. My boss won't tell me what insecticide was used.

Can I report them to OSHA when , not if, the bb come back? My apartment monitors ate clear and I'd like to keep it that way.

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  2. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 22:37:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I have seen a total of 6 live bedbugs since October, and think I see 2 nymphs in the glue traps.

3. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 22:38:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been bitten on 3 occasions here at work.

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 22:45:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure. Let's see what an expert says about monitoring at work.

So sorry you are going through ALL of this!

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  5. buggyblue

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 22:48:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not knowledgeable in the area of OHSA, reporting an employer, etc. However, do you think it would be useful to assemble a fact sheet based on information from these forums, about how to prevent transporting bb home from work? Could you print a stack of these fact sheets out at work and leave them in the break room, or some other place where people frequent? Education is the best weapon.

6. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 23:23:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm... I really don't think it would work. Frankly my most of my coworkers n boss are blockheads. It's like they know--and don't care. If I hadn't insisted on an exterminator nothing would have been done. That's why I think I have to go over their heads.

Thing is, were you aware bedbugs aren't "vermin"? To have the state DO anything, it has to be "vermin". Mice, cockroaches... If they don't HAVE to take care of it, they won't. It scary. Hoping OSHA is different.

7. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 23:35:49
    #

Login to Send PM

If I start up an online petition demanding the federal government make bedbugs officially "vermin", and link it--if I'm allowed to--will you all sign it?? Something's GOT to be DONE!

8. spicynat

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 23:42:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Robinsmom,

Sorry to hear that the BB situation at work isn't handled properly. I hope you'll find a way to force them to take their responsibilities. It's not normal that you have to leave in fear at your workplace. I think BBs have a real impact in our lives. We shouldn't have to worry about others transferring us their BBs. It's already stressful enough to have them at home and get rid of them. Maybe you could tell your boss that if because of this you get BBs at home again he would have to pay for treatment there too. When money is involved people tend to be more responsible.

Hope everything will be resolved soon.

Take care.

9. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 23:46:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I have Legal Aid working on it, but they can only enforce the law. They won't get involved in civil matters, it I can take my employer to civil court.

I work for a major publication and they wouldn't want it out that their print area may be infested.

10. spicynat

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 23:46:39
    #

Login to Send PM

And aren't there laws in the US to protect employees from stressful environment at work due to neglect or anything similar?

11. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 23:52:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Firstly, take suitable precautions to protect yourself while at the workplace.

You may wish to contact your local health department to see what they have to say as well.

pjb

12. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 0:28:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, there should be laws that generalize enough to protect me. If necessary I can go in workers comp til they resolve this issue once and for all.

Not sure my local health dept can do much but I think I will contact them to see why they don't have ordinances like in the neighboring county, which requires work areas with bb to be shut down for a week til they are bb free. This would devastate my employer.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 3:15:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I would have thought it was an OSHA issue?

Note some people have leaked workplace infestation stories to the media, which might help in some cases (but could seriously backfire if the employer suspects you are the source). So be careful if you are considering it.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  14. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 5:00:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hard to leak to the media...when your employer IS the media! =\

By the way, I hate to start another thread just for this, but does this critter ring a bell?
    Found in my (empty) microwave cart. I doubt it's a bb, but I've seen a few in my apt recently.
    http://instagram.com/p/wdlKEyOJWM/

Thanks.

15. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 5:22:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Roach nymph??

:0

16. MS-guy

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 9:32:08
    #

Login to Send PM

17. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 9:41:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you sooooo much, MS guy!!!!!!

18. wonttellmyname

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 10:26:13
    #

Login to Send PM

HI Robinsmom, a few months ago a co worker told me she had bb in her apt. After I thankfully found this source and other info I went into kind of overboard stealth mode. (I have anxiety and ocd to begin with unfortunately) I am still bagging my clothes from that job at the end of the day and changing into a "drive home" outfit and when get home I bag those clothes too. I keep the shoes for that job in a plastic bag in my car and change before I walk in. I don't bring a purse or bag anymore and I leave my coat in my car too.

I haven't seen any bb at work, but not taking any chances. I don't know how long I am going to keep doing this. Just found out that a family member has bb at work and so I am opting out of Christmas this year. I just can't handle it. I would rather live out of plastic bags. Please take care.

You mentioned you brought a few home, did you monitor and find them quickly? Thank goodness

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,734 posts in 48,881 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver