Bedbugs at hotel - should I leave?

(9 posts)
  1. picturegrl

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Apr 4 2018 11:13:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I travel a lot for work (I'm a journalist) and often see bed bugs. Usually I change hotels. But today, I have work to do, and if I leave, I can't get my money refunded.

Should I sleep in my car? Should I just find another hotel? Should I somehow manage to sleep with them? Should I just walk around Walmart all night until it's time to leave this town?

I'm so discouraged and anxious. I was tired last night and didn't check for them. I just saw one on the comforter, so I already slept with them. I know they can't really hurt me, but as I see all of you discussing — the anxiety level is high. They're just ... creepy. And nasty. Somehow they feel different from fleas, etc.

Please help me keep my sanity and decide what to do. I need to concentrate on my work, but my skin is crawling.

Also, how do I keep from bringing them home with me?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Apr 4 2018 12:22:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Post an image so it can be IDed, most people mistake another insect for a bed bug.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  3. Mf1616

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Apr 4 2018 12:22:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Ask for a different room. I think bed bugs is a valid excuse for them to accommodate. Just make sure to check the new room properly. If they refuse, tell them you’ll write a review on trip advisor or yelp (which, you should probably do anyways...to warn others).

As for the fact that you’ve already spent one night there... I would just be VERY careful about not taking any hitchhikers with you. Does the hotel have a laundry facility you can use? Maybe chuck your suitcase just in case...

For the record, I am NOT an expert.
    My advice/opinion comes from past experience(s) with bed bugs and what I have read on-line.
  4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Apr 4 2018 12:24:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't advise people to throw things away, it's not helpful and you don't know what you're talking about.

5. Mf1616

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Apr 4 2018 12:44:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I certainly wasn’t trying to be unhelpful. Just telling her what I would do. That’s why I made the signature I have below my post. I maybe could have prefaced my comment with “if you have in fact confirmed there are actual bed bugs in your room...” and “if you do throw out your suitcase, make sure you bag it and write bed bugs on it”

No need to get testy though....

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Apr 4 2018 14:26:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Poor advice makes my work harder and can cause undue stress on the original poster, so it does get to me.

7. picturegrl

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Apr 4 2018 15:50:59
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 3 hours ago  » 
    Post an image so it can be IDed, most people mistake another insect for a bed bug.

I panicked and smashed it immediately. I have seen bed bugs at other hotels that were positively identified by a pest control man, so I am 99 percent sure it was a bed bug. I am hoping for that one percent chance that I am wrong.

However, when I smashed it, it got blood everywhere, which I suspect was mine after sleeping in the bed all night.

8. picturegrl

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Apr 4 2018 15:53:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Mf1616 - 3 hours ago  » 
    Well I certainly wasn’t trying to be unhelpful. Just telling her what I would do. That’s why I made the signature I have below my post. I maybe could have prefaced my comment with “if you have in fact confirmed there are actual bed bugs in your room...” and “if you do throw out your suitcase, make sure you bag it and write bed bugs on it”
    No need to get testy though....

I understood your intent. The suitcase is cheap, but my clothing, backpack, etc. was all over the place — a rookie error on my part — so I would have to throw out too much. I usually check, but I was very tired and already having a bad day when I got in and failed to do so.

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Apr 4 2018 16:46:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you find any other evidence after you inspected the bed?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

272,341 posts in 44,488 topics over 135 months by 19,506 of 20,185 members. Latest: R1180m, SBbluebed, Panic-in-my-bedroom