Bedbugs: a logical elimination game?

(5 posts)
  1. arkansan

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 27 2019 12:20:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm a long time reader of this forum, but this is my first post. I'll try to be succinct.

Five years ago I had bedbugs in Florida. I got a ton of bites, found a single bedbug and paid to have my apartment treated, and I didn't see any more. Occasionally I'd get bites, but I could usually trace them to other sources, such as carpet beetles or fleas, or they'd stop. I have a heightened awareness of bedbugs as result of this experience.

In July I moved cross country to Arkansas. Since our furniture was moved in, my daughter and I have been getting bitten weekly. I won't post photos, as they could be bedbug bites or they could be anything else. We live in a single family home. The bites tend to appear in the morning.

The PCO could find no evidence of bedbugs, but he treated for carpet beetles (we found larvae), fleas (though I have no pets, I'd found evidence of fleas) and roaches (common to older homes in the South). When that didn't work, he agreed to treat my house with Aprehend, which lessened but did not stop the bites.

I encased my beds and installed monitors, and I check them. I haven't found any bugs, only this, in my bed the other day after also being bitten again. The photo below is the closest I've come to evidence, and it doesn’t look to me like bedbug poop.

I also went to the doctor, who said that my bites look like insect bites rather than an allergic reaction. He treated me for mites -- Permethrin and Ivermectin. This treatment was done simultaneous to the bedbug/flea/roach treatment. Nope. Still getting bites.

Anyway, I'm wondering if folks here have advice on next steps for me. Most of what I know about bedbugs is from this forum, vs. the thousands of clickbait articles I've also read and which have proved largely useless. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Sincerely,
    TiredinArkansas

2. arkansan

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 27 2019 12:23:31
    #

Login to Send PM

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 27 2019 13:07:39
    #

Login to Send PM

No evidence would suggest no bed bugs. It might be worth springing for a biopsy to see if this is in fact a bite or if it's erupting from within, there's no way to be certain just by looking at it.

4. arkansan

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 27 2019 13:42:53
    #

Login to Send PM

@BigDummy, I think a biopsy is a good next step. My doctor told me to call next time I found a bite to come in for a "punch test."

I also called a second PCO for another opinion. My house is, unfortunately, kinda old. Many places for bedbugs (or other bugs) to hide. I'm curious to see if another set of eyes will find something.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 27 2019 13:51:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Another set of eyes is a good plan. I shy away from the term "hide," as it suggests thought and planning. Bed bugs are no different from anything else in that they want to live somewhere safe near a food source. They just happen to be very small, so joints and screw holes make perfect "caves."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,799 posts in 50,040 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen