(12 posts)
  1. carterscott

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 15 2019 15:11:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

This afternoon, I found a significant number of black marks on the head board of my bed (see pictures) that look like possible bedbug fecal stains. The marks do smear, as shown in the pictures, but they are also much larger than I would expect for bedbugs.

https://imgur.com/a/xj0DpqQ

Neither my wife or I have bite marks and I was unable to find any sign of larvae or discarded shells in or around the bed. As best I can tell, there are not any marks on the sheets or the mattress either, only on the bed frame itself.

Thanks for your help!

2. BedBugsLondon

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 15 2019 15:19:18
    #

Login to Send PM

That looks like bed bug fecal and some eggs.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as employee of the patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations.

For those that are curious, yes it can be challenging working for David
  3. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 15 2019 15:25:34
    #

Login to Send PM

There are a lot of people who doesn’t react to bed bug bites. I guess they are hiding in the crack.

4. carterscott

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 15 2019 15:34:32
    #

Login to Send PM

BedBugsLondon - 14 minutes ago  » 

That’s... not what I was hoping to hear. I’ll plan on contacting the pest control company first thing in the morning.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 15 2019 15:39:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Confirming faecal traces, eggs and the beige ones are ureic traces which indicate you have been providing well for those bedbugs for at least a few weeks.

The lack of bite response illustrates why checking when you travel is essential and why monitoring and inspecting your bed at least monthly is a good idea.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  6. BedBugsLondon

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 15 2019 15:41:08
    #

Login to Send PM

carterscott - 5 minutes ago  » 

BedBugsLondon - 14 minutes ago  » 

That’s... not what I was hoping to hear. I’ll plan on contacting the pest control company first thing in the morning.

Don’t move the bed or mattress , you risk spreading the issue to other areas. Wait for advice from a professional.

7. carterscott

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 15 2019 16:21:40
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 39 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    Confirming faecal traces, eggs and the beige ones are ureic traces which indicate you have been providing well for those bedbugs for at least a few weeks.
    The lack of bite response illustrates why checking when you travel is essential and why monitoring and inspecting your bed at least monthly is a good idea.
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Thanks for that information. I was on international travel several weeks ago and inspected the hotel room, hotel mattress, my clothes, my suitcase... everything. Looks like I still missed something.

I do live in a rowhouse in the city. Any chance the bugs could have come from a next door neighbor?

If this did come from travel overseas, it’d be the second time. Ugh.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 15 2019 16:59:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would be looking at something you did 3 months ago and would be less focused on the neighbours, while they are possible my gut says it’s less likely.

Again the international second occurrence makes me suspect a red herring unless you visited exactly the same place as before.

David

9. carterscott

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Sep 21 2019 9:05:23
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

Thanks for your help and advice. I had a pest company come to the house last week. They confirmed that the spots shown in the pictures were from bedbugs and conducted a thorough visual inspection of the bedroom.

The visual inspection did not turn up any active infestation or other confirmation of bedbugs (e.g., shell casings, other fecal stains, etc.) The inspector looked over the mattress, the bed frame, the walls and baseboards near the bed, etc. Nonetheless, the company recommended a whole house heat treatment for $3500 (for reference, our house is 1434 square feet.)

Over the last week, I’ve been vigilantly looking for any signs of new fecal stains or other things. Nothing has turned up and neither my wife or I have bites. We’re nervous that we’re spending an astronomical amount of money to eradicate a non-problem. Would you recommend getting another inspection, treating the bedroom only with steam, etc., just moving forward with the heat treatment, or some other way forward. Thanks so much for your advice!

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Sep 21 2019 9:36:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You shock me another $3500 heat treat despite zero live activity.

OK sarcasm filter OFF.

Given the lack of confirming signs of an active infestation I would monitor. It will only cost you about $20 per bed and could resolve any issue using the TbyPMR protocol which is available online.

For the record one of the reasons why we don’t heat is to make it easier to differentiate us from the cowboys.

David

11. carterscott

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Sep 21 2019 10:22:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for that advice. I’m going to give the bedroom a once over again today to see if I can find anything and do a deep cleaning at the same time. If still nothing found, I think I may take your advice for passive monitoring. Just to confirm: would you only go with a whole house heat treatment if we confirmed the existence of live bedbugs in the house?

Also, I apologize if I’m being dense but I can’t find specific details on the step by step process for your TbyPMR protocol. The PDF I found makes it seems like it is simply a deep cleaning, running clothes through the dryer, and installing passive monitors. Have I missed something?

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Sep 21 2019 10:35:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The process is simple but to be effective it must be done at absolute attention to detail in confirmed infestation. In a situation like yours where nothing alive is found a good clean and checking the monitors weekly is all that is required for a few weeks and then back to the monthly routine.

Sadly there is a lot invested in selling pest control based upon fear, something that does not sit well with my ethical compass.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,803 posts in 50,043 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen