Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Bedbug saga-- heat treatment failed-- they say I am reinvesting--help!!

(12 posts)
  1. bedbugznme

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Mar 16 2018 18:29:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I have bed bugs. I first found one October 2017 but I did not recognize it and thought it was another bug and forgot about it. By mid Jan 2018 I had a bad-ish infestation. There were blood stains, fecal marks and many live bedbugs found (mostly on my bedframe.) I foolishly bought sprays at the drugstore and cleaned up my bedframe, which the bugs were using as a harborage site. In the process I found 20+ bedbugs.

I called my landlord, and he called Smithereen (I'm in Chicago.) They agreed to do a heat treatment of my apartment. It's the upper apartment of a building with 2 apartments (lower and upper.) They yelled at me for using sprays and DE which I used before they came. My room was the only one that had bedbugs, but they treated the entire upper apartment.

Scheduling the heat treatment took a very long time. Smithereen took a week and a half to inspect, a week later, they sprayed, they were supposed to treat the week after that, but cancelled the day of. So they treated a week later. So from informing my landlord to treatment took like 5 weeks. In between that time, some bedbugs crawled in my notebook and I found them in the classroom while working as a teaching assistant. I excused myself to the bathroom and flushed them all down the toilet. Then I went to tell the building manager I found them. She told me not to be ashamed and they had found some there before (??) I am not sure if that building was infested or there was just another case of bedbugs there a long time ago. I talked about my bugs to my students and the professor I'm TAing for and while they had bedbugs stories, no one seemed to be currently infected except me.

I spent the day of the heat treatment in my university's library (I'm a student.The next day my regular class was meeting in a different location (in a museum, where we looked at some art.) So I didn't go to my classroom building. However, the day after the heat treatment I found a life bedbug (adult) crawling on my bed. I immediately called my landlord. He called Smithereen and they told him that "they are in the process of dying." I didn't find any more for a while.

Then last Saturday I found another one. I called the landlord again. The exterminators came again Thursday (yesterday.) They sprayed and told me I was too messy and that I must have re-infected. I don't think I did because the day of the treatment I didn't go to my usual spaces. I put new encasements on my bed after treatment and they already have stains on them. I'm on the verge of tears! And feel like I am being told I am doing something wrong.

I'm not sure what to do!

Many of my clothes are in plastic bags; can I put them away? My mother says I can't live like this. Indeed, it's pretty difficult.
    My landlord seems to be slow in calling the exterminator. The exterminator seems to be slow in coming. In the meantime, I live in discomfort. Why aren't they gone already?
    I want to visit people without worrying that I'm giving them bugs.
    How do I know they are gone?
    I don't know the exterminator's policy. Shouldn't they do the heat treatment again? I found a bug the next day!!
    How do I know I am not spreading bugs everywhere??
    What are my rights as a tenant?
    Should I move? But would I take them with me?

Ugh any words of advice and encouragement welcome!!!

2. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Mar 16 2018 20:24:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so sorry for what you're going through. Has your neighbor been inspected for bed bugs? I'm also in Chicago so have heard of Smithereen. I can't answer most of your questions, but I would imagine it is to soon to take thing out of plastic bags since you saw bugs so recently. Again, I am so sorry.

3. bedbugznme

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Mar 16 2018 20:28:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe they inspected my downstairs neighbor back in January and I was told they don't have any. My roommates don't have bedbugs, it is only me. As far as I know, that is.

4. hopeitsnotbugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Mar 16 2018 21:29:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh, I'm so sorry. I am in the suburbs of Chicago (Lake Co) so have heard of Smithereen too and was going to have them come out to inspect, but decided on another co. The other co cost quite a bit more (comparing both of their chemical prices), but prep wasn't bad, they have a 90 day guarantee and had better reviews on Yelp. They don't do whole house heat treatments though. I hope you can get your problem resolved soon. Where your roommates rooms inspected as well?

5. bedbugznme

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Mar 16 2018 22:17:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, my roommates rooms were inspected back in January/ February when they did the treatment. (Not since the re-infestation. Not revinvestment! Typo in my title-- oh well.) They didn't find any evidence of bedbugs in either roommate's room. Additionally, one roommate has had bedbugs before (in a different city, a long time ago) and he reacts strongly to their bites, so I assume he would probably know if he had them.

6. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Mar 17 2018 1:46:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Was the lower apartment also inspected?

Yes, the exterminator seems to be slow in coming.
    Unfortunately I think the one my landlord sent was slow too.
    There's nothing I know of that can be done.
    >Why aren't they gone already?
    Because they were never treated enough or they are being reinfested (not necessarily by you).
    >I want to visit people without worrying that I'm giving them bugs.
    You can if you're careful.

>How do I know they are gone?
    Buy or make passive monitors. Read the FAQs on this site.

>I don't know the exterminator's policy. >Shouldn't they do the heat treatment again?
    >I found a bug the next day!!
    AFAIK, there shouldn't be live bugs after heat treatment but I never had heat treatment

>How do I know I am not spreading bugs everywhere?
    Be careful?
    Read the FAQs.

>What are my rights as a tenant?
    I'm sure you google that.
    It's probably that the landlord has to provide a habitable apartment.
    As long as the landlord is providing half-assed treatment, it seems to be legal.
    If you still have have them in 6 months thenyou could probably sue.
    Yes, I am cynical.

>Should I move? But would I take them with me?
    I don't think you should move.

Your school doesn't sound very serious.
    If they found them before.
    I would think they should be doing inspections but I don't know.

>Ugh any words of advice and encouragement welcome!!!
    They are horrible bugs and I sympathize.
    Read lots.
    I'm sure there are many websites that deal with Chicago.
    You will get through this.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  7. hopeitsnotbugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Mar 17 2018 9:17:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I do know Chicago has an ordinance put in place to deal with bed bugs, so if you Google that you can see what your rights are. I believe when I contacted Smithereen they had a 30-day guarantee. You may be able to find out on their website what all they do if you keep seeing bugs. What's funny is that after my initial contact with them, they kept hounding me to schedule the inspection. Either it was their administrative person, but I also had the exterminator who does the heat treatment for them call me twice, plus the techs who would do the inspection call me (after I told the administration person I didn't need their services anymore). They made it sound like they could get in the next day. I'm guessing Chicago there is a much bigger need for it and obviously many more buildings there, so that's why it took so long to schedule? It still really sucks though, I'd want to get the problem taken as SOON as possible too!

I know this doesn't help your situation, but I have to say, I'm glad bedbugs weren't as big of a thing when I lived there in the early 2000's! Being young and not having a lot of money, I would have really lost my s**t! So, it sounds like you are trying to handle things as best as you can, and I'm hoping it gets resolved quickly.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Mar 17 2018 17:03:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Re-occurrence of bed bugs should not always be attributed to re-infestation.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  9. bedbugznme

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Mar 19 2018 15:52:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Lou. I agree! But what should I tell the landlord/extermination company?

In other news I found another bug — not a bedbug— in the corner of my room. As the whole apartment was heat treated last month I guess it must have got inside afterwards. Does this mean that the walls are easily penetrated by bugs?

https://flic.kr/p/23TUsZg

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Mar 19 2018 17:52:52
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugznme - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thank you Lou. I agree! But what should I tell the landlord/extermination company?
    In other news I found another bug — not a bedbug— in the corner of my room. As the whole apartment was heat treated last month I guess it must have got inside afterwards. Does this mean that the walls are easily penetrated by bugs?

Sometimes, yes, heat treated bed bugs will crawl about. The sub-lethal heat could be enough to have killed their commensal bacteria and they then will finally die because of a shortage of B vitamins. Sometimes the bugs were far enough away to escape the heat and then later crawl back and had not been subjected to sub-lethal heat.
    Cockroach nymph. It could have been within a wall, but could have come from a neighboring area, not necessarily that it was brought in by you.

11. bedbugznme

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Apr 21 2018 16:21:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Update:

after they sprayed I didn't see bedbugs for about a month. I bought a Pactite monitor and put it on the floor near the head of my bed. No sign of bedbugs. But then yesterday, unfortunately, I saw one with my own eyes and caught it. Here is a picture (all 4 pics are of the same bug, through a ziplock bag):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42550231@N04/shares/mSp988

Obviously, I'll call my landlord again. But what to think? Also, I don't see the blood at the tail? Does that mean it's perhaps not eating? Was it perhaps wounded by the heat treatment? I haven't noticed any new spotting the past month, so I really thought they were gone. What could be going on?

12. Livingagain

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Apr 24 2018 9:20:46
    #

Login to Send PM

It seems weird to just heat treat one part of an apartment. It seems like the bugs could escape that, but I'm not an expert. If they treat you again see if with whatever they do, they can incorporate an insecticide dust, like Cimexa, into the treatment because those would stay in place if you get bugs back from somewhere.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,277 posts in 49,227 topics over 152 months by 21,578 of 21,999 members. Latest: Cc8656, bb3784738, Buggingout111