Bedbug Resurgence - Detected with Traps Filled with Soapy Water

(7 posts)
  1. Daniel4982

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 11:28:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I discovered I had bedbugs in early October of this year. Later that month I had my apartment heat treated by a reputable PCO with experience treating bedbugs in my building. The heat treatment included a 90 day warranty. For peace of mind I encased my mattress and boxspring, left my headboard detached from my bed frame and put all six legs of the frame into plastic tupperware containers filled with soapy water. I then put masking tape leading up the sides of the containers. I used soapy water because it has much less surface tension than regular water so the bugs cannot float across it. My source for this information is this guy who is basically a PCO with his own youtube channel on bedbugs. http://www.naden.de/blog/bbvideo-bbpress-video-plugin -->

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Widget

I opted to make these traps because the bites don't seem to show up on me and I had to be sure they were gone. A little over a month went by and everything seemed fine. I found nothing in my traps and extremely thorough searches of of my mattress, boxspring and sheets yielded no evidence of bedbugs. I was finally starting to feel confident when about two weeks ago I found a corpse in one of the traps at the head of my bed. It looked to be on the second or third life cycle. Needless to say this was a little disconcerting. I called my PCO and he brought over a trap that worked by releasing pheromones and carbon dioxide. He positioned it on the ground near the head of my bed. It remained there for five days until it ran out of gas and caught nothing.

The trap was picked up earlier this week and, as it had caught nothing, I again began to feel confident. Until this morning. I was looking through my traps when I found another corpse. This one was not only in the last life cycle but it had clearly fed just before getting caught in the trap and drowning. I know this happened last night because I checked and refilled all the traps right before I went to bed. Interestingly, both corpses have were in the same trap.

I will say that during the last month and a half there were a couple of nights when my blankets came untucked and were touching the ground, which at least offers an explanation as to how the most recent one got onto the bed. Still though, it really just takes all the wind out of my sales. I am at this point concered that somebody adjacent to me has them. I contacted my PCO and he is going to come and spray. I'm hoping it will be the final chapter of this shitty saga.

The one silver lining is at least this time around they seem fairly contained. Hopefully I can keep them from getting another serious foothold by continuing to lure them into traps using myself as bait. I seriously just want this to be over.

2. lsdrg706

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 12:15:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a question; do you know if adjacent units were inspected by your landlord or if any others were treated?

3. Daniel4982

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 13:18:58
    #

Login to Send PM

lsdrg706 - 46 minutes ago  » 
    Just a question; do you know if adjacent units were inspected by your landlord or if any others were treated?

There are only two units adjacent to me (directly above and on one side) and neither have been checked. When I found out I had them initially I immediately contacted my property manager. At that time I asked her about contacting adjacent units and she said it's only done if and when the PCO comes up and determines the infestation is bad enough to warrant contacting other units.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 13:52:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Jeff is actually a regular poster around these parts I am sure he will be along soon enough to add comment to this thread personally.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. Daniel4982

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 16:07:02
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    Jeff is actually a regular poster around these parts I am sure he will be along soon enough to add comment to this thread personally.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I had no idea he was active on this site. Any perspective he could offer would (needless to say) be extremely helpful.

6. Rosae

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 3 2011 17:20:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Just to tell you my story; after treatment with pesticide the bites stopped in the beginning of August this year. Since July I had fled from my bedroom and was sleeping in the kitchen on a camping bed, the frame heavily treated with poison and all six aluminium legs on plastic plates filled with water.

Every morning I take away the bed, and place it upright to the wall in another room, on a cup in a soup plate filled with water.

For nearly four months I appeared to be free of bed bugs but then suddenly I found a bed bug on the bottom of the soup plate. It was a small one, it appeared to be lifeless. I estimate it was a third or fourth stage instar. I looked at it about 5 times through a magnifier, turned it around with the tip of a knife. Sadly I couldn't deny that it was an insect, that it was vermin, that it had the typical head with antennae and six legs of a bed bug. It was not a flea. Fleas have a different shape with strong, large legs. This one looked very familiar, although it was gray. Bed bugs are normally amber colored. The shape was correct, but not the color. I finally flushed it through the sink.

Although it was a disappointment, I had never believed that I could just continue my life like nothing had happened. So I'll just continue my life with heavy protection for a least a year. It is doable and I'm used to it.

7. Daniel4982

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 7 2011 16:18:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Rosae - 3 days ago  » 
    Although it was a disappointment, I had never believed that I could just continue my life like nothing had happened. So I'll just continue my life with heavy protection for a least a year. It is doable and I'm used to it.

Yeah that's what worries me. Even at its worst my infestion appeared to be confined to just my bedroom. Consequently, if there are any left I don't want them spreading to other parts of my place. I don't know if I could go a year with these little traps on my bed though. It's not so much that I mind having them there but that I can't have any people over. Not that I would take the risk, but even if I did they'd naturally be curions as to why the legs of my bed are in plastic bowls. In any case, I think that if I can go two months without finding one corpse in the traps I am probably in the clear.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,818 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs