Bedbug or not? Pics inside

(6 posts)
  1. bugged09

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 20 2009 18:41:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Starting early this week I've been a bit more itchy than usual, then noticed what I assumed were black droppings on my bed, so I started looking around. I found these two buggers in the dust under my bed. I've looked all through my mattress and clothes and didn't find any other evidence. I talked to my landlord (I rent) and he said they didn't look like bedbugs (he saw the real bugs, not these magnified images), but he sprayed HotShot and is having an inspector come on Monday.

I've never had any kind of problem like this before, so I'm getting really scared. I bought some ziplock XL bags, am washing some clothes right now, and bought a bedbug-proof mattress cover.

Are these bedbugs? If not, what bugs are they? Thanks a ton!

Bug 1, Bottom
    Bug 1, Top

Bug 2, Top
    Bug 2, Bottom

2. LVK9

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 20 2009 18:54:06
    #

Login to Send PM

They are not bed bugs. They look like they could be carpet beetle larva.

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 20 2009 19:24:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Some type of Dermastid beetle larvae.

Hairy little critters that molt and leave the little hairy castings that can cause skin reactions. They do not bite.

Jim

4. bugged09

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 20 2009 19:25:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Ooh, that's such a HUGE relief! My landlord will be happy too If I knew you, I'd buy you a case of booze! I was so worried and stressed going into a vacation week. Now I just need to figure out why I've been so itchy. Maybe it's my clothes & the weather here.

For others checking out this thread, check out the link below. This one is a 'varied carpet beetle larvae'. Carpet Beetles

5. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 21 2009 7:13:27
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged09 - 11 hours ago  » 
    For others checking out this thread, check out the link below. This one is a 'varied carpet beetle larvae'. Carpet Beetles

Hi,

No the picture in the link is actually an adult carpet beetle image. Not actually the least accurate fact on that website and I would not even know where to begin editing the treatment method they recommend but suffice to say there is obviously good profit margin in selling unnecessary chemical treatments.

Big shame though for the lack of recommendations for the use of safety equipment when applying insecticides, when will these people learn looking after your customers health and safety is essential to their repeat spending.

David

6. ifitcrawlscall

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 13:33:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    Definitely not bed bugs, bed bugs are reddish brown in color, adults are about the size of an apple seed. Live close to the host generally in the mattress or around the bed area. Check for fecal spots on the mattress, which will be reddish brown stains. More info at Bed bug information

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,754 posts in 49,796 topics over 154 months by 21,795 of 22,260 members. Latest: insecureuser, o0liver19, Laura07