Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Free for all

Bedbug misinformation - anyone fancy a chuckle?!

(13 posts)
  1. Richard_Naylor

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 9:48:22
    #

Login to Send PM

With the help of a few friends I have been saving up bedbug related misinformation (and misidentifications) from around the web for some time and storing them on our lab website. Thought some of you would like to see:

http://e3.group.shef.ac.uk/2010/09/bugs-publicity-and-misinformation/

If you can find any more I would love to hear from you!

(ps. I'm not sure if I am supposed to link to other sites but I'm not advertising or selling anything, so I hope that's ok.)

2. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 10:00:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, that's funny, amazing and terribly frightening at the same time. This confirms what everyone here has been saying. Education, education. With all this misinformation circulating, while we are fighting an uphill battle as it is, this is just plain wrong.

It's humorous to us because we realize how ridiculously wrong some of the information is. But to the average Joe researching, well, I don't have to explain any further.

3. Jenn28

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 10:41:52
    #

Login to Send PM

They feed off your skin? Seriously!!! How stupid. Every picture of a bed bug was different. One of them looks like a creepy leopard spotted spider with hairy legs!

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 11:02:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Richard,

Keep up the good work and I love the hall of shame.

As others have said its all about education - education - education and making sure the information is accurate.

It may be worth chatting with Oliver to see if this could not be promoted through the bedbug foundation.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 12:01:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed Buffalo!!! LLLLLlllloollll....good one...That Larson....

6. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 14:57:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Even medical doctors spread misinformation about bed bugs.

A doctor at a sleep health center in the Boston area said that the loaner equipment they wanted a person with bed bugs to use at home while sleeping in their bed to test for sleep disorders couldn't get infested with bed bugs because "it is made of metal and plastic." Then, when someone expressed concern about the possibility of bed bugs at the sleep health center since the center didn't seem to have knowledge or policy about bedbugs, even though new people slept there every night and they encouraged clients to bring in bedding from home, the sleep health center manager posted on-line, explaining not to worry--that they cleaned the rooms and washed the linens daily.

I think people who read this board regularly know more about bed bugs than many medical doctors. Thanks, Nobugs, for creating this resource of accurate knowledge.

7. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 15:45:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm doing the same work in my italian forum about pest control.
    There is a section called "erring in the web", in wich I highlight mistakes and disinformations I find in italian PCO sites...
    The greater part of them is BBs related, of course.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 0:11:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard_Naylor - 14 hours ago  » 

(ps. I'm not sure if I am supposed to link to other sites but I'm not advertising or selling anything, so I hope that's ok.)

Hi Richard,
    Good to see you here.
    Linking is fine if it is not for advertising purposes.
    I love your growing collection.

I also linked to your finds from this post on images that are not bed bugs.

There's also a whole category on the blog "not a bed bug" featuring additional errors. Most are mistakes made in the media. (A couple are about pests mistaken for bed bugs by readers -- quite a different kind of story.)

I also have some I haven't shared publicly for various reasons. It's distressing how many people running a bed bug detection business have a picture of some other pest on their website.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 4:56:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Richard, for the memories. It's quite unfortunate that the education people get nowadays is almost solely from the Internet where there are so many errors that the layperson would never pick up on. And then they spread it to others. Like a technology epidemic.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  10. Richard_Naylor

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 6:17:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everybody,

I'm glad you liked them. I often don't know whether to laugh or cry when I spot these.

Parakeets; my experience of medical doctors isn't much better than yours. Over the years they have sent several people to us with head-lice, to find out what these mysterious insects in their hair are! We have also had a person sent to us with a huge ticks clinging onto him because the doctor had no idea what it was. I also find it staggering how many people with bedbug bites are prescribed scabies treatments. I have even met/spoken to a number of people with sever delusional parasitosis who have been prescribed scabies treatments despite having no visible marks on the skin!

Since the doctors is often the first place people go when they start getting bitten, perhaps this would be a good place to focus some effort on promoting public awareness? I wish I knew how to go about it.

Thanks Nobugs for your comments and for connecting this thread to the appropriate places.

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 7:16:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Here in NYC & CT, I've given lectures to doctors on bites, stings, bed bugs. After the lecture, I gave him a loupe and when he went home he knew what to look for, sent me an email that he now knows what has been biting him (bed bugs).

12. Jacksfullofaces

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 8:00:22
    #

Login to Send PM

My doctor says he has difficulties convincing his patients that the skin iritation they are suffering is due to bedbugs.
    Jacks

13. toledo

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 10:47:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Even medical doctors spread misinformation about bed bugs.

We showed the bites to my daughter's pediatrician. She said, "Put a cover over your mattress." The next time we saw her we told her that didn't work and told her what most people have to do to get rid of the bugs. She looked shocked.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,814 posts in 50,044 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen