Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Bedbug Macro Videos!

(16 posts)
  1. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 8 2011 5:42:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I just created a little video gallery of various bedbug behaviours. I plan to add to it in due course, but this is what I have so far:

http://e3.group.shef.ac.uk/2011/03/bedbug-video-gallery/

2. Koebner

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 8 2011 9:48:51
    #

Login to Send PM

You really know how to provoke mixed emotions, Dr Naylor.

What are the materials in the harbourage vid? I'm guessing some sort of upholstery foam for one but the pleated/ folded stuff has me stumped.

3. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 8 2011 10:21:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Koebner,

It's actually all filter paper. We keep all our cultures on it as it is very absorbent. This helps to soak up the aqueous fecal droplets, which prevents it sticking to the bugs. It doesn't take long for the bugs to turn the gleaming white filter paper into that brown, crusty looking stuff in the videos!

R

4. Koebner

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 8 2011 11:05:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Yipes.
    Thought I'd seen really extreme stuff on dumped furniture but once again, you take the biscuit.

BTW - are you by any chance on the Skeptics in the Pub speakers' list? They're the perfect target audience - they love demolishing canards; they tend to be more gown than town, with all the mobility, backpacking & low-quality housing that implies; & there's v high social media usage among attendees. A group both in need of decent BB info & well-placed to promulgate the message.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 8 2011 12:27:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Near the end of the traumatic insemination video where the couple is in a crevice, you can see the cleaning behavior of other bugs combing antennae, possibly mouth parts with their setal combs on distal tibiae (right before insertion of tarsi) of first legs.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 8 2011 12:34:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Foraging video also shows some cleaning behavior. Great images/movies, Richard. Nice close-ups of horizontally feeding bug!

7. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 8 2011 16:55:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh. I wish that there were some way to unwatch those videos. Oh well, I didn't want to sleep tonight anyway.

-rs1971

8. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 8 2011 23:03:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Great, now we have bed bug "pr0n"!

Nice work, Richard!

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  9. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 9 2011 5:27:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone,

Koebner,
    "BTW - are you by any chance on the Skeptics in the Pub speakers' list?"
    I hadn't heard of the 'Skeptics in the Pub'. I just looked up my local group and they have some great talks lined up. I think I'll get involved. You are right, they might well be interested to learn about bedbugs.

Lou,
    "Nice close-ups of horizontally feeding bug! "
    Thank you. It always seems like the bugs prefer to feed without climbing onto the host. It makes sense as it allows for a quick get away and helps avoid being detected. A few times while I was filming, the bugs tried to feed in a couple of places before finally settling. I believe this is what causes the "breakfast, lunch and dinner" effect. They are in a line because the bug are moves along the interface between the host and the bed.

10. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 9 2011 5:49:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Just tired of paying compliments to Richard.... lol

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 9 2011 7:36:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Richard,

Great work again. My only suggestion is that we need a catchy sound track to go with it.

Social media education will go a long way towards helping educate people about the problem and for it to be passed around it needs jazz as well as clarity.

I am very tempted to start bedbugwebcam.com from the office to make sure the little darlings are always kept an eye on although it would need to come with a viewing warning.

Keep up the good work.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 9 2011 8:10:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard,
    I believe the line theory, too, is due to them being lazy and feeding from substrates. Sometimes some will go right onto the skin and others stay back and hold onto the substrate. And I had posted the pictures of them feeding while resting on their backs with the proboscis outstretched. This makes for shallow feeding if they don't hold on and thrust stylets in. I'm trying to get some pictures of another feeding position and will post when I can get a good shot.
    Thank you. It always seems like the bugs prefer to feed without climbing onto the host. It makes sense as it allows for a quick get away and helps avoid being detected. A few times while I was filming, the bugs tried to feed in a couple of places before finally settling. I believe this is what causes the "breakfast, lunch and dinner" effect. They are in a line because the bug are moves along the interface between the host and the bed.

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 9 2011 8:11:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry about the mixed quote post above.

14. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 9 2011 22:19:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing those videos Richard. Regarding the breakfast lunch dinner line, would that mean that an individual would only get the BLD type row of bites in bed and only where the part of the body that is in contact adjacently to the bed or sofa?
    For instance, if an individual were sitting on a chair and their legs were just hanging off the chair with no contact to the chair, their legs would probably not get the three in a row type of bites?

15. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 12 2011 5:53:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi SiNYC,

It's unusual to get bitten sitting in a normal chair, because there aren't usually many places for the bugs to hide. If we are talking hypothetically, then you could still expect to see the BLD pattern because the bbs would walk around on your clothes until they reached some exposed skin. This could be along the top of your sock line, the neck of your t-shirt, your waste line etc. As Lou said, sometimes they do walk straight onto your skin, but sometimes they prefer to feed from a substrate. In the setup shown in the video about 6 fed by standing on the substrate for every 1 that fed by climbing onto the skin.

R

16. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 22 2011 16:38:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply Richard. Devils they are, those bbs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,817 posts in 50,044 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen