bedbug in a restaurant

(8 posts)
  1. iamscare

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 21 2017 12:54:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone,

I just have a very silly question. We had a family dinner at a restaurant yesterday. There was a tour group that arrived 5 mins after we sat down. I saw a 'bedbug' like bug on the table next to us (not sure if the group from the tour group brought it in, or the restaurant just had it). The kid was trying to squished it, and the bug moved, and the kid just brushed it off to the floor.

I was soooooo paranoid during the whole dinner, I was feeling very uneasy, and wanted to tell the group, and restaurant staff, but my husband stopped me. He kept telling me that "it is not a bedbug, it must only be a cockroach" The size of the bug I saw was around 1/5" inch.

After I got home at night, I was very scare. Both my husband and I put all our clothes into the washer (to be washed today). I will be putting them in the dryer today after it's washed too. What I wanted to ask is, I am very very scare, and worry all day today, and have not been able to focus on what I am doing. Do you think we could have brought any of the bedbug home from the restaurant? what is the likely hood that it could have hitchhiked back with us? I am very very scare. Thank you for listening.

2. Tim m

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 21 2017 13:10:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bug or cockroach either way I would report that restaurant to your local health department. If I was in your shoes I would of went home had everyone strip down and wash everything on hot water and dry for 60 minutes on high heat. I wouldn't worry to much or atleast try not too.

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 21 2017 13:25:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Tim m - 12 minutes ago  » 
    Bed bug or cockroach either way I would report that restaurant to your local health department. If I was in your shoes I would of went home had everyone strip down and wash everything on hot water and dry for 60 minutes on high heat. I wouldn't worry to much or atleast try not too.
    iamscare: I will be putting them in the dryer today after it's washed too.

The best thing would have been to toss the clothes into the dryer for 20-30 minutes when you got home. You can wash later if you want. Heat and drying is more important than washing.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. iamscare

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 21 2017 13:30:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou,

OMG, I didn't toss it into the dryer right away yesterday. I washed them this morning, and just tossed them into the dryer now (few mins ago). Is that too late? My washer is a front load washer, hopefully the seal is good enough to seal everything inside. Can you please tell me what are the likelihood or chance that I could have brought it home with me? I am so scare and worry now. Thank you.

loubugs - 3 minutes ago  » 

Tim m - 12 minutes ago  » 
    iamscare: I will be putting them in the dryer today after it's washed too.

The best thing would have been to toss the clothes into the dryer for 20-30 minutes when you got home. You can wash later if you want. Heat and drying is more important than washing.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 21 2017 14:20:17
    #

Login to Send PM

iamscare: Chances are extremely low, close to not to worry at all. You really weren't positive that the unknown creature was a bed bug anyway.

6. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 21 2017 14:36:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Listen to Lou, chances are low that it was even a bedbug to begin with. You usually don't find them strolling around out in the open. Even if it was a bedbug, that doesn't mean any hitchhiked on you back home.

A hot wash may kill any that could have hitchhiked on you but it's not something that is reliable enough to suggest to people. Hot, dry air above 120°F is a proven bed bug killer. So it's just better to throw the clothes in the dryer first, then wash later.

Don't beat yourself up over it, I doubt you'll have any issues. At least you took some sort of precautions.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 21 2017 15:58:15
    #

Login to Send PM

iamscare - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi Lou,
    OMG, I didn't toss it into the dryer right away yesterday. I washed them this morning, and just tossed them into the dryer now (few mins ago). Is that too late? My washer is a front load washer, hopefully the seal is good enough to seal everything inside. Can you please tell me what are the likelihood or chance that I could have brought it home with me? I am so scare and worry now. Thank you.

You isolated anyway by placing away from your room and other clothing and into the washer. No need to worry.

8. iamscare

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 21 2017 17:21:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou,

That's true. Thank you for comforting me. I think the chances of bringing it home with me is close to zero too, **hopefully**. And yes I did put it into a washer right away, so if really there was anything, it would have been 'locked' inside the washer. Thank you for comforting me, and providing me with reassurance (I really needed that) Thanks a lot!

loubugs - 1 hour ago  » 

iamscare - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi Lou,

You isolated anyway by placing away from your room and other clothing and into the washer. No need to worry.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,728 posts in 50,022 topics over 155 months by 21,871 of 22,355 members. Latest: BedBugNinja, citycpap, AnxiousAngela1989