Bedbug ID?

(8 posts)
  1. 0hn0

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu Aug 9 2018 17:13:29
    #

Login to Send PM

As I was cleaning out my car, I threw some used paper towels onto the ground in the garage. I retrieved them later--out of a spider web--and this bozo was also attached. Is this some random beetle or is it a dead bedbug? I haven't noticed any suspicious bites and I regularly check for bugs--with no signs that I can detect. However, that doesn't mean one couldn't have ended up in my car somehow. This bug is almost entirely black except for brown legs and brown antenna.

https://imgur.com/a/rInwfld

In this post, it looks very "bedbuggy"

https://imgur.com/a/rInwfld

But in this post, I think it looks significantly less so.

2. 0hn0

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu Aug 9 2018 17:34:56
    #

Login to Send PM

(ignore this reply)

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu Aug 9 2018 17:46:23
    #

Login to Send PM

0hn0 - 32 minutes ago  » 
    As I was cleaning out my car, I threw some used paper towels onto the ground in the garage. I retrieved them later--out of a spider web--and this bozo was also attached. Is this some random beetle or is it a dead bedbug? I haven't noticed any suspicious bites and I regularly check for bugs--with no signs that I can detect. However, that doesn't mean one couldn't have ended up in my car somehow. This bug is almost entirely black except for brown legs and brown antenna.

A true bug, but a nymph of one of the pentatomid stink bugs. I think this happens to be a predaceous rather than plant-feeding species.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. 0hn0

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu Aug 9 2018 17:53:22
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 5 minutes ago  » 

0hn0 - 32 minutes ago  » 

A true bug, but a nymph of one of the pentatomid stink bugs. I think this happens to be a predaceous rather than plant-feeding species.

So, I looked at it again in the sunlight--it IS actually brown, but still doesn't strike me as bed bug unless it's a dried out female. Can you elaborate, for my peace of mind, how you know it's a pentatomid stink bug nymph?

5. 0hn0

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Thu Aug 9 2018 18:11:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Just for fun (and as a reference for anyone else), this is the underside, with pretty background. I think from this angle, the brown is more apparent but its legs aren't attached in the same place bedbugs' legs seem to attach, comparing it to photos.

https://imgur.com/a/2mLc2nw

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri Aug 10 2018 11:28:50
    #

Login to Send PM

0hn0 - 17 hours ago  » 
    Just for fun (and as a reference for anyone else), this is the underside, with pretty background. I think from this angle, the brown is more apparent but its legs aren't attached in the same place bedbugs' legs seem to attach, comparing it to photos.

Now reviewing your pictures in 2 views and on a computer screen, I still say a true bug, but I'd say a cydnid bug rather than a pentatomid bug. Too bad it's behind plastic.

7. 0hn0

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri Aug 10 2018 16:10:23
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 4 hours ago  » 

0hn0 - 17 hours ago  » 

Now reviewing your pictures in 2 views and on a computer screen, I still say a true bug, but I'd say a cydnid bug rather than a pentatomid bug. Too bad it's behind plastic.

I kept it and can try to get better pictures outside of plastic, if you're interested. I dropped it a few times trying to get a good photo so figured the bag would be a good idea.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 days ago
    Fri Aug 10 2018 17:35:17
    #

Login to Send PM

0hn0 - 1 hour ago  » 

loubugs - 4 hours ago  » 

0hn0 - 17 hours ago  » 

I kept it and can try to get better pictures outside of plastic, if you're interested. I dropped it a few times trying to get a good photo so figured the bag would be a good idea.

I noticed the mouthpart is missing. I'll go with cydnid, but you can take pictures out of the plastic if you like.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,534 posts in 45,810 topics over 139 months by 20,174 of 20,973 members. Latest: busbugs, jklyczek, Thisguy97