Bedbug found on sock, a fluke?!?

(5 posts)
  1. pleasenobugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2008 12:18:48
    #

Login to Send PM

So I called my apartment manager to talk to her about the extremely UNthorough inspection we recieved in our building, after I found a bedbug on my sons sock a few months after a unit 2 doors down had bedbugs and was treated for them.
    The PCO is putting down glue traps, one under each bed to see if/where we have bedbugs.
    The manager is saying that the PCO is thinking it's a FLUKE we found a bedbug on the sock, because that is not where you usally find them, it's extremely odd. Even though I found and gave the PCO a bedbug, which they confirmed, the PCO wants to find more bedbugs before they spray. Management thinks this process is logical.
    No bites or sightings of bedbugs or their secretions....
    What to do?
    Wishing this was a fluke but feeling like you can't dismiss this so easily.

2. Marixpress

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2008 12:52:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmm you're in a pickle. You are going to have to wait to find more proof (bites, fecal and blood stains on bedding & mattress). For now, don't do anything different. Sleep in your bed as usual. Do not spray or treat your home for bugs (yet). I had a PCO tell me I didn't have bugs but i knew that was not true. I taped up some cracks near my daughters bed and after 3 days, we caught some bugs that were crawling out of the crack. Unfortunately you are going to have to find proof that they are living in your home. I guess it's possible that it was one single bug that crawled on your son's shoe while outside of the home but I'm pessimistic when it comes to BB's. I'd be careful not to spread them to your friends' and relatives' homes even if you never find your proof (search the forums and Faq's to learn how to prevent spreading bbs).

Also, start looking for hiding places. There have been many threads about that. Box spring, mattress, pillows, frames, curtains, cracks, holes, crevices, phone jacks, light fixtures, couches, furniture. Basically everywhere you can slide a sheet of paper in. The black droppings are your best evidence if you can't find actual bugs and/or do not react to bites. Please keep us posted and welcome

3. Livingagain

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2008 12:59:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Good advice Marix, I would say it's very unlikely that you would just have one on a sock and not anyplace else. From things people have posted that I've read, I would say it's not very uncommon for a bed bug to climb onto something left on the floor. One guy even made a trap with some soft fabric in a little box and caught a bed bug that way.

4. Marixpress

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2008 13:05:25
    #

Login to Send PM

5. Blue_Ox

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 7 2008 13:51:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Important question - was the bedbug that you found alive or dead? If dead, was it whole?

We have (or had?) bedbugs in my large building as much as a year and a half ago, in at least two units out of 50. I have been worried and on the lookout ever since. Around the time that bedbugs were discovered in those other units, I was aware that the occupants were throwing away items probably via the elevator and into the trash area in the basement.

One day about a year ago I found a half of an adult dead bedbug in my apartment. Luckily I know from educating myself on this website what to look for in terms of live bedbug activity. I was a little freaked out when I saw that half of a dead bedbug but even at the moment I found it I suspected that I had picked it up on my shoes while in the basement area and had tracked it into my home, especially since it did not look recently dead but rather a bit disintegrated.

I was vigilent about checking for signs, but it's been more than a year since that time and I have never had one sign - no bites (and I know I'm allergic as I was exposed in Europe 10 years ago), no blood signs, no fecal traces, no nothing.

However, if it were a LIVE bedbug that I had found, I would have kept the bug, demanded extermination at that point and not taken no for an answer.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula