Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Bedbug fecal on a leather seat in a car?

(10 posts)
  1. TeacherintheCity

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 11 2015 12:28:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi experts and stain identifiers-
    After my parents, who were storing items for me after a bed bug encounter last year, did not listen and put items that were supposed to be sealed (paperwork and books) in their car to move them after 9 and a half months of being sealed, I found these stains on their passenger leather car seat. You can see how they looked when I smeared them with saliva. It's too hard to take their car apart to search and I don't have anything to test it. In addition, they are not taking this at all seriously, so I can't get them to get the car examined (no bites, no signs at home), so they think I'm overreacting. I cannot find information or pictures of what fecal would look like on leather, but it did look like black dots initially and smeared a dark brown when washed and did wash away. Is it possible that it's just sauce or regular dried blood?
    Thank you

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 11 2015 12:44:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Fecal is black, not really brown in color. Uric acid staining in brown in color.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 11 2015 12:45:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I should say uric staining is a yellowish/brown color.

4. TeacherintheCity

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 11 2015 12:47:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Jim-it looked like black dots to the naked eye, but smeared a dark brown/tan. That's the color you see on the seat- where I smeared it. That's not how it looked at first - it looked like those little dots. Does that effect what you think at all? Is the picture visible?

5. TeacherintheCity

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 11 2015 12:48:52
    #

Login to Send PM

And would it wash away with saliva and some rubbing on leather?

6. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 11 2015 15:39:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbug poop will smear. Bedbugs typically want to defecate near the harborage. I believe there's some research out there that suggests that baby bedbugs, because they haven't developed eyesight as much, will use the smell of poop from other bedbugs as a sort of 'highway marker' to get back to their 'nesting locations.' If that were from bedbugs, you'd most likely be seeing bedbugs somewhere.

7. TeacherintheCity

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 11 2015 16:11:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks - I wasn't able to fully inspect the car, so it's hard to say for sure whether or not they are visible but from where I peeked, I didn't see much. That's the downside of it being someone else's car who doesn't take it seriously. If I read into what you are saying, if there was that much fecal on the passenger seat, bed bugs would probably be out in the open? I know that it's typically unusual....

In looking at photographs of fecal on non porous surfaces, it appears that they should be thicker and more spherical and 3-d? These were flat. I have a few more photos of the non smeared parts if these help

Just as a general question, what would the expected texture of fecal on non-cloth or non-wood textures be? I have seen a lot of pictures of mattresses, wood, and sheets, but not non porous textures.

Thanks so much to all the experts

8. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 11 2015 16:36:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Because bedbugs are tactile, I think they'd much rather poop on semi porous materials. Not certain a leather car interior could be considered non porous. I know that when I remove the plastic end caps off a box frame, the poop is still deposited on the end corners of the fabric of the box frame. That being said, I've also found fecal on drywall next to the wood trim of a window

9. TeacherintheCity

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 11 2015 16:47:17
    #

Login to Send PM

You are probably right about leather being semi porous - this probably wasn't treated to be water proof, even though jackets and shoes often are, which is what I was originally thinking. Would this be consistent with what you would expect fecal to look like or does this like more like paint or something more man-made?

Just struggling with whether to push my parents to get an inspection or let it be for now...

10. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 11 2015 17:18:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Keep in mind, bedbugs don't really want to 'nest' in the interior of an individual car. Someone would have to be sleeping in that car on a regular basis. You should inspect the bed and couch at their apartment. As for public transportation, bedbugs have been found harboring in buses in Detroit. I think they were also recently found on public transportation in Philadelphia. If they know they can readily access a meal, and it's safe for them, they will feed accordingly.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula