Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Bedbug "Explosion" after treatment/Plan of attack?

(15 posts)
  1. BigAl

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 27 2014 11:51:43
    #

Login to Send PM

First, I will start off by saying that I WISH I could afford to pay a professional. This happened at the WORST time. Just dumped all of our savings into fixing our car and other major expenses. So I have had to deal with this on my "own".

About three weeks ago my wife brings a bug to me that she found sitting on top of her pillow. After looking it up, it was a bedbug. I freaked out a bit and tore up our mattress, drawers in the captains bed, night stands. I spent well over two hours looking in every crack and crevice and found NOTHING. A google search and I was spraying rubbing alcohol into every crevice to see if any would service. NOTHING, to be "safe" I sprayed alcohol generously along the entire perimeter of my bed frame, the moulding around floor, etc. My mother brought a product that they used at her job to treat infestations (they are a "home" of sorts with over 100 apartment units) called "Spray Away Bed Bugs" , a natural product and after the alcohol dried I followed up with this stuff.

I had HOPED that the single bed bug was a hitch hiker on clothing after going to the movie theater.

Fast forward... My wife started getting cluster bites on her arm. I reach out to a relative that is an exterminator and he gives me a can of Bedlam and Gentrol. I research both and decide against using the Gentrol, but I proceed to bag EVERYTHING inside of our captains bed, nightstands, etc. and I spray Bedlam on the surface, cracks, inside and all around our captains bed and night stands. We already have a bedbug mattress cover, so that was not a concern.

A week later and I am SEEING bedbugs! They Yesterday I killed a tiny one on our sheet, found one on my shirt and killed it and just this morning I felt a pinch which woke me up and it was a large blood filled sucker. It seems as if something I did caused them to become VERY active and they are attacking in force.

Here is what I plan on doing, please tell me if it looks like a good plan of attack:

1. I am going to take ALL of our washed a dried clothes and throw them into a dryer on high for 20 minutes. I am going to refold them and put them into ziplock bags so that they do not get reinfested.

2. Any "dirty" clothes in hamper, etc, I am going to wash and dry on high heat.

3. I am going to double back all papers and books, empty out all dressers, drawers and closets.

4. I am going to use a preparation of Suspend and Gentrol and spray it on and in EVERYTHING, including the surface immediately under our mattress (the surface of the captains bed), the floor board, moulding, etc.

5. I will also wash and dry sheets, pillows, pillow cases, etc.

My questions:

1. Is the above going to be effective?

2. How do I treat papers and "stuff" in bags that are not clothing and which cant be put into a dryer?

3. Is Suspend safe to use so near to our bed?

4. Should I also apply what is left of the can of Bedlam?

I appreciate any help. If there is one lesson in life I have learned it is that stuff like this tends to happen at the WORST possible time. Not only am I BROKE for at least the next two weeks, but we have guests staying with us.

Thank you, sorry for the half vent, but it has been VERY stressful. My wife is blaming me for this because I did not immediately jump and "so something".

Alfred

2. BigAl

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 27 2014 22:34:32
    #

Login to Send PM

So tonight before bed I moved the mattress forward and saw a dead large bedbug and a live one. Also saw a few eggs and fecal spots in one crack. I re-sprayed with bedlam and killed the large live bug.

My wife wants me to throw away our captains bed... Thing cost us over $1,000... It will be a MAJOR hassle to disassemble and get at every nook and cranny. Will my approach of using Suspend be enough if I spray surfaces, all visible cracks, in and under the captains bed? Or should I just toss it?

Thank you,

Alfred

3. BigAl

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2014 9:23:18
    #

Login to Send PM

So... Last night was HORRIBLE. Was eaten alive. Killed about 5 big ones, one full of blood. Just went through our comforter and found a small one full of blood, the size of a pin head. PLEASE, I am starting to pack everything up into garbage bags. I can barely afford to do this once. If I mess this up it will get ugly. Any advice greatly appreciated.

4. AshamedandScratching

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2014 11:24:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Ask your exterminator/relative, but I believe that bedlam would make them more active. The thing with treating yourself is you have no idea why he gave you those chemicals together. I think you may want to discuss why he gave those to you to use together and see if he'll help you develop a plan of attack.

And then provide him with familiar love & cookies for being a good egg.

And personally, yes, I wouldn't keep a captain's bead or a platform after my experience with bedbugs for the reasons you mention. I proud that I relaxed enough to get a box spring.

But first start with breathing. You will get through this.

A&S,
    BB Survivor, Class of '11

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2014 13:11:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Alfred, (Hey, an actual name, whatduhyaknow !)

Thanks to a BBF observer, I was directed to your thread to provide some assistance.

Below are my Responses to your Queries for your review and consideration:

Q: Fast forward... My wife started getting cluster bites on her arm. I reach out to a relative that is an exterminator and he gives me a can of Bedlam and Gentrol. I research both and decide against using the Gentrol,

R: Good choice. Bedlam Plus would have been better but the regular Bedlam is OK too. IGRs, not so much.

Q: but I proceed to bag EVERYTHING inside of our captains bed, nightstands, etc. and I spray Bedlam on the surface, cracks, inside and all around our captains bed and night stands.

R: This is a good contact and residual killer. My expectation is that there'd be zero bed bugs in any of the cracks & crevices where it was applied. If there were any live BBs remaining, it's likely that you simply missed them.

Q: We already have a bedbug mattress cover, so that was not a concern.

R: OK, good. What about the box spring ?

Q: A week later and I am SEEING bedbugs! They Yesterday I killed a tiny one on our sheet, found one on my shirt and killed it and just this morning I felt a pinch which woke me up and it was a large blood filled sucker. It seems as if something I did caused them to become VERY active and they are attacking in force.

R: Obviously the bed bugs had a meeting and came up with a game plan for revenge. No, that's nonsense ! Nothing you did caused the bed bugs to feed or become more active in your home. Without any additional mitigating information, that's just silly.

Q: Here is what I plan on doing, please tell me if it looks like a good plan of attack:

1. I am going to take ALL of our washed a dried clothes and throw them into a dryer on high for 20 minutes. I am going to refold them and put them into ziplock bags so that they do not get reinfested.

R: OK, this sounds somewhat OK. Be sure you leave them in the dryer long enough. You need to reach or exceed 122 F for at least one minute EVERYWHERE on every garment in the dryer. Methinks 20 minutes is a tad thin so, go longer just in case.

Q: 2. Any "dirty" clothes in hamper, etc, I am going to wash and dry on high heat.

R: OK, that's good. Do you also do windows? Refer to my response to #1 above.

Q: 3. I am going to double back all papers and books, empty out all dressers, drawers and closets.

R: And then do what? Bag them? Seal them in a bed bug proof container? Heat treat them? What ?

Q: 4. I am going to use a preparation of Suspend and Gentrol and spray it on and in EVERYTHING, including the surface immediately under our mattress (the surface of the captains bed), the floor board, moulding, etc.

R: OK, stop. You had me rolling along with you and now this sh#t. WTF !
    Suspend - OK but Temprid would be better. Tell your exterminator relative to get you Temprid. Both are by Bayer. Give him back the IGR and let him know it's better used against cockroaches !

Q: 5. I will also wash and dry sheets, pillows, pillow cases, etc.

R: That's nice. Please be sure to use one of those dryer sheet things so they smell fresh as a summers eve too !

Q: My questions:

1. Is the above going to be effective?

R: All you need do is inspect and treat ALL the places the bed bugs are located. See, it's simple !

Actually, you should:

a) disassemble your bed & furniture as best you can to access all the potential hiding spots.
    b) thoroughly vacuum all the harborage areas.
    c) steam all such areas, assuming you have a steamer
    d) then apply the insecticide products to these areas

Take no prisoners, leave no survivors !

Q: 2. How do I treat papers and "stuff" in bags that are not clothing and which cant be put into a dryer?

R: Seal them into a bed bug proof air tight container and leave them there for a long, long time until all the bed bugs are dead from starvation. Or, slip a pest strip into the container and make em die sooner.

Q: 3. Is Suspend safe to use so near to our bed?

R: Pesticide safety and hazard is a product of dosage and exposure. generally speaking, we want to avoid application of pesticides to any surface normally contacted by humans. Again, if you can trade in the suspend for Temprid SC you should do so.

Q: 4. Should I also apply what is left of the can of Bedlam?

R: No. You should save it in case of a global cataclysmic event. I mean, have you seen the recent "Apes" movie? If that happens we're gonna need a stockpile of pesticides bro !

Actually, what good is that insecticide doing for you in the can? Learn how and where to properly apply it and get going killing some friggin bed bugs. WTF, am I talking to myself here !

Q; I appreciate any help. If there is one lesson in life I have learned it is that stuff like this tends to happen at the WORST possible time. Not only am I BROKE for at least the next two weeks, but we have guests staying with us.

R: Good, then they can help you get this work done !

Q: Thank you, sorry for the half vent, but it has been VERY stressful. My wife is blaming me for this because I did not immediately jump and "so something".

Alfred

R: When you have to put up with my sarcastic responses there's no need to be sorry.

Q: So tonight before bed I moved the mattress forward and saw a dead large bedbug and a live one. Also saw a few eggs and fecal spots in one crack. I re-sprayed with bedlam and killed the large live bug.

R: OK. When this happens get your vacuum and suck them up. 100% of the bed bugs you remove immediately can't bite you tonight, tomorrow or ever ! ALSO, some of these sprays may not kill the eggs. As such, you're better off poaching them with a steamer or physically removing them using a vacuum and a scraper as needed.

Q: My wife wants me to throw away our captains bed...

R: Yeah, and my wife wants me to clean the garage and finish the basement . . .

Q: Thing cost us over $1,000... It will be a MAJOR hassle to disassemble and get at every nook and cranny. Will my approach of using Suspend be enough if I spray surfaces, all visible cracks, in and under the captains bed? Or should I just toss it?

R: Insert an "E-Slap" here: Get a hold of yourself man ! WTF ! You wouldn't throw out your dog just cause it had fleas, right? No, you'd simply kill the fleas !

Yes, it's a lot of work but unless you can afford to buy all new furniture, you need to kill the bed bugs and remove them from your furniture. Here's how: vacuum and treat all the places that the bed bugs are hiding. Like Nike says; Just Do It !

Q: So... Last night was HORRIBLE. Was eaten alive. Killed about 5 big ones, one full of blood. Just went through our comforter and found a small one full of blood, the size of a pin head. PLEASE, I am starting to pack everything up into garbage bags. I can barely afford to do this once. If I mess this up it will get ugly. Any advice greatly appreciated.

R: What do you mean ". . . get ugly." ? It already IS ugly now ! Who's blood do you think it was in that f#ckin bed bug anyway ? Probably yours and/or your wife's.

Now if that doesn't piss you off enough to get you motivated to wreak your unholy vengeance on these mutha-truckers I'm not sure what will.

There's additional information available to you via my articles and such on my website.

I hope this helps you and let me know if any additional questions.

In the meanwhile,

Have a nice day ! (insert WalMart happy face here)

pjb

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2014 13:12:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh yeah, some questions:

> Is this a single family home or an apartment?

> What state/city are you at?

> How many folks live there with you?

> Who's being bitten?

> Is there any pets?

> Is there any pre-existing health conditions?

pjb

7. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2014 13:41:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, Paul. Thanks for the extremely informative and amusing post. You are a true gem among gentlemen!

8. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2014 13:53:24
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 36 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks to a BBF observer, I was directed to your thread to provide some assistance.

Thanks Paul Bello! I knew you would help him!!

Yes, great post!!! . . . perhaps this one should go into your "Hall of Fame" posts!!! Priceless!

Thanks again, for taking the time to respond to him!!!

@BigAl

BigAl - 1 day ago  » 

2. Any "dirty" clothes in hamper, etc, I am going to wash and dry on high heat.

Hi Alfred, I was curious and concerned . . . maybe you should also bag your "dirty" clothes until they can be washed and dried . . . just in case there are any bed bugs in them, they won't go walking around trying to find you and/or your wife!

Also, it's been suggested before on the forum that you may want to segregate your clothing to what you need for one or two weeks and what you can bag up for a while . . . so as to save time, effort and work load.

Good Luck!

9. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2014 15:35:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Paul wrote,

Have a nice day ! (insert WalMart happy face here)

Hey Paul, I am not sure if you're referring to the following:

1. Click the WalMart happy face icon in the upper right corner of the writing box.
    2. Select a preferred icon at the drop down menu.
    3. If the icon doesn't show properly after you 'send post', you may need to add extra spaces before or after the parenthesis if adding icon within parenthesis.

10. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2014 16:31:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Nope. Just that if I knew how to do it, "Have a nice day !" should have a walmart smiley face next to it. Hence the "insert . . . here".

And, note that I'm way too busy and adhd to learn how to do it myself so, there's that . . .

pjb

11. bugged-cdn

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2014 17:11:47
    #

Login to Send PM

The following is freaking me out a little :

generally speaking, we want to avoid application of pesticides to any surface normally contacted by humans.

What about pets? They do spend a lot of time on the floors. The PCO told us they are using permethrin and pyrethrin. I asked for assurances that it was safe for cats and they sent me back 26 sheets of MSDS data. These cats will be long dead before I get that chemistry degree I've been putting off.

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2014 17:25:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Permethrin is highly toxic to cats; in fact, pyrethroids in general are toxic to cats.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  13. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2014 17:34:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear bugd-cdn,

OK, this is a tad off topic here but, since you have concerns, I'll try to handle this without any sarcastic cat related comments but know that I'm a dog guy.

And still, it's a cat, right?

Seriously, cats can be more susceptible to pesticides than dogs for a number of reasons (Yet another reasons cats drool and dogs rule.) including physiology, biology and grooming habits.

if you check your cat flea products you will likely find that they contain permethrin and pyrethrin. The concentration of these products may be a concern depending upon the formulation in question.

My comment regarding prudent use of insecticide products is to avoid application of residual products to areas where humans normally contact. Such surfaces might include the surfaces of a sofa or upholstered chair. For example, we don't want your infant/toddler resting his/her head or sucking on the arm rest of a sofa where we applied pesticides for obvious reasons. Additionally, we're NOT going to kill one bed bug by applying these insecticide products to areas where they don't harbor and are not likely to contact these insecticides ever.

Now, do we want pets to contact these surfaces? Probably not. However, there's little risk that this will occur if we're targeting the harborage areas as we should be. Note that we DO NOT need to be making surface applications to entire floors and such where few if any bed bugs are likely to be.

Now, what type of cats are these and, if you were a world cup player, how far do you think you could punt them ?

Hope this answers your questions and concerns ! pjb

14. bugged-cdn

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2014 18:37:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Now, what type of cats are these and, if you were a world cup player, how far do you think you could punt them ?

LOL! Not far at all. They're quite the fat cats.

Hope this answers your questions and concerns !

It does, thanks

15. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 30 2014 6:56:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey big al,

It's your thread and we haven't heard back from you.

Are you OK out there ?

pjb

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,413 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams