Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Bedbug bite flareups

(8 posts)
  1. miserableone

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 6 2010 1:23:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Can someone (possibly KQ and or David Cain) please tell me how and why flareups from old bites happen? Is it common? Does the flareup itch like the original bite? I REALLY REALLY would like to know. If anyone else has experienced such flareups, please respond with your experience.

2. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 6 2010 2:17:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I FEEL (note I said feel) that mine are a result of 2 things: dry skin, and thinking about bedbugs. In a sense, my skin is more sensitive due to being bitten and now winter temperatures, and my mind is more active about itching. However, my flareups are mostly bite scabs itching. I do not see old bites coming back with the same redness/ pimple effect, I would consider that a new blemish. I rub some lotion on to decrease the skin effects and try to just see where legit bites are.

I also am a prime example of a foliculitis on my legs and upper arms. Mostly on my legs, I get inflamed folicules where a hair is broken off due to friction from pants, and perhaps rubs the wrong way. If a new blemish occurs on my legs I check for a short hair at the center. A lot of times it is there, and unless very itchy I consider it a folicule blemish

3. miserableone

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 6 2010 11:24:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I just want to be able to distiguish old bites from new ones. Not knowing for sure is awful!

4. miserableone

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 12:06:24
    #

Login to Send PM

anyone else have similar experience?

5. scaredsilly

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 21:39:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I didn't believe in flare ups at first. But certain situations do cause lots of my old bites to briefly "reappear" at once. I notice this when I overheat in the sun, shower, or wear too many bedclothes. However, the old bites aren't scabby and don't itch. For the past few weeks I had so many bites that I circled them with a marker before bed to determine which was old, which was new. I got that suggestion from the forums.

6. bugdhunter

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 22:14:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I have also experienced the flare- up in the exact same spot, rose up bump and all, and thought it was more psychological, until I noticed the same thing happen to my 8 yr old. unless they feed on the exact same spot all the time... we were both very allergic to the bites and I wonder if our defense sysytem is still working it out

7. miserableone

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 8 2010 10:10:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I often times will get very itchy but no "new" mark has appeared. Now that my skin is so dry its worse. I did notice that I was getting itchy on top of old bites....so I guess flareups are real.

8. testytraveler

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Oct 17 2019 1:05:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Happy to find this thread. 2 years since I last had to deal with bb's. But every once in a while during or after a long, hot shower, I see red welts in a line, in places where I had bites before. They are flat and don't itch, just big red circles. Just on my shoulders/chest area where the hot water hits the most. This really freaked me out the first time and led to days of massive paranoia and panic, but now I realize that it's just the old bites flaring up somehow. Like someone said earlier, I believe it was also at times where I was thinking about bb's (like saw signs I feared might be bb-related but weren't). What a strange and unsettling occurrence!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,406 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams