Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Bed or Bat Bugs? I get bit, but my boyfriend doesn't!

(6 posts)
  1. jensca

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 8 2008 15:32:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Please help!

I moved into an apartment one year ago & the bites started a month or two ago. I haven't confirmed whether I have bed bugs or not. My boyfriend and I would wake up single bites, but we never had one on the same day. He was bitten first and only 3 times total. I have been bitten 15 or 16 times, but he hasn't woken up with a bite since the first week it started. I always wake up with a single bite, except for one instance last week when I had two huge bites right next to eachother. Now, I continue to wake up with a new bite every few days and I'm starting to have trouble sleeping as I am becoming more & more paranoid.

My boyfriend has been bitten on his foot, knee & leg. I am bitten mostly on my arms, and once on the neck & butt - that one was interesting! We both had the same type of bite each time - large, red, very swollen and sometimes itchy. The are mostly round in shape, at least the size of a dime, with a very large circular redness surrounding the actual bite. Yesterday, I discovered a bite on my forearm that is mostly round with a long tail coming off it, kind of like a lowercase letter "d" - weird! I have checked my bed & bedroom for signs of bed bugs, but I haven't found any evidence yet.

Could I have bat bugs? One night about a month ago, I saw several bats flying around the roof of my building, but haven't seen them since. I have a pet hedgehog, which I have checked for mites and he is clean. I also have 5 aquariums with tropical freshwater fish, including one in my bedroom - not sure if that means anything, but I figured I'd mention it just in case.

Did I get something from my neighbors? We live on the second floor and the people that live below me had cockroaches which eventually made their way into our apartment. Luckily, I only saw one and had the exterminator treat our place for 3 weeks. I haven't seen one since December. So, now I'm thinking that the bed bugs may have come from the neighbors.

So why do I git bit constantly, but they leave my boyfriend alone? Do they prefer my blood?? How can I determine whether I have bat or bed bugs? Could it be something else?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 8 2008 23:51:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I would get a professional in to inspect. No one here can tll you if you have bed or bat bugs (which are very closely related by the way) based on your description.

The FAQs will help you find out your rights (if you rent) and how to choose a PCO if you need to.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 9 2008 3:14:20
    #

Login to Send PM

The only way to destinguish between Bed and Bat bugs is close examination under strong magnification.

As Nobugs says descriptions alone will not help.

The best advice you can follow is to get a thorough inspection to work out the extent of the problem. If its Bed or Bat bugs communicate with all adjoining neighbours and have they get inspected as well. Both species will pass through a building from apartment to apartment.

It is not that unusual for one person to respond to the bites while others do not, it is all based on your responsiveness to bites rather than whoes blood they prefer. I have even seen identical twins both in infected bed where one responds and the other does not.

David

4. bbbitten

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 23 2008 14:45:33
    #

Login to Send PM

does anyone know if the indications for bat bug infestation is the same as bed bug infestations? I have been getting bites for the past week now and have been searching for indications of bed bugs in the mattress, box spring bed linens, dressers but have not found anything yet. is it maybe because they could be bat bug bites and they do not leave the same signs?

5. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 23 2008 19:25:15
    #

Login to Send PM

The visible signs would be similar for bat bugs. You would need secure a specimen to perform an identification.

Here is a link to a U. of Minn. article by Dr. Kells from the links page
    http://www.ipmctoc.umn.edu/Control_of_bedbugs_in_residences_US_Commercial.pdf

The article illustrates how to make the proper identification. I would seek out a qualified expert to make the ID which is based on the length of body hairs on the pronotum (the body plate behind the head).

You might want to try a K9 assisted inspection with a Bed Bug Dog to locate some specimens for an ID.

6. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 24 2008 1:49:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is a fact sheet on bat bugs from Ohio State University
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/pdf/2105a.pdf

You might want to have the building inspected for bat roost sites.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,394 posts in 50,185 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,432 members. Latest: Ladybug1993, PROJECTD168, Kimmmie46