Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Bed infested but so signs?

(15 posts)
  1. freakingout123

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jan 23 2018 17:48:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry for the repost but I feel like my question got lost in all the comments on the other post.

I've had sticky glue traps under each of my bed legs for over a month now. I change them every so often. My bed is pulled away from my wall and no blankets touching the floor. I've searched the mattress, box spring and metal frame extensively. A pco has also inspected the bed. I wake up with bites every morning for at least the last two months with absolutely no evidence. I should add my son gets random bites in his room as well. Now if it is bed bugs, does this mean that they are somehow in my bed or frame and just not leaving any evidence? Or are they crossing the traps?

2. F. Pazos

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jan 23 2018 19:16:06
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are getting bites for around 2 months, evidences should show, and an experienced PCO should find at least some... Once you explain that no evidence has been found in several inspections (including pro inspections) I would suggest to not think only about bed bugs, there are a number of insects that could bite you while in bed. I would suggest you to check for that, specially fleas, that we do encounter in a number of cases (even with no pets involved)

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.
  3. freakingout123

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jan 23 2018 20:55:08
    #

Login to Send PM

What else could be biting in bed that I can't see? I know it's not fleas. We did have them in the fall but are rid of them now. I didn't show any reaction to them at all. I've seen them bite me and not have a reaction. I do have another inspection tomorrow morning, so we'll see how that goes.

4. F. Pazos

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jan 23 2018 21:02:11
    #

Login to Send PM

That you didn't have a reaction then does not mean that you will not develop it now... the more info I have the more I think about fleas... let the inspector know about that. Again, a professional inspector would easily spot signs of a 2 month old infestation.
    the amount of insect that could bite you in bed is rather large to list it here...

5. freakingout123

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jan 23 2018 22:04:41
    #

Login to Send PM

The inspector that inspected for bed bugs is the same inspector that treated our apartment for fleas. He says there is no sign of either anymore. That's why I'm stumped. I live in an apartment so I don't have a choice of a pco. It's a small company. I don't think they are extremely familiar with bed bugs. I guess the it's the owner of the company that is coming tomorrow. So I guess I'll go from there.

6. freakingout123

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Jan 24 2018 7:13:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Well my husband woke up last night on the couch with his first two bites on his arm. He was wearing a sweater. He had one on his forearm and one on his wrist. This is the first time he has shown reaction this time. Pco is suppose to come between 9-11am this morning. I hope he can find something because I have no idea where to go from here.

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Jan 24 2018 8:46:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Under clothing would suggest a cause other than bed bugs.

8. freakingout123

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Jan 24 2018 9:07:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I know but the sweater was on the floor before he put in on. All my bites are on exposed skin.

9. freakingout123

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Jan 24 2018 16:54:15
    #

Login to Send PM

So the owner of the company came out but didn't inspect. I told him that I felt his technician didn't do a thorough job in his inspection and he agreed. He said that he would treat without visual evidence since we've been waking with bites for over 2 months but it was up to the apartment management ofcourse because of cost. Well I spoke to the management and she gave me the choice of what to do. I chose to get a more thorough inspection done. I don't want to spend a bunch of money/time on laundering everything and have my kids breath a bunch of chemicals unless I know for sure what's going on. It's very tempting though. I think if I had a choice of heat treatment, I definitely would have done that. They only do chemical. This is the right choice, right?

10. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Jan 24 2018 17:01:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, a proper, thorough inspection is way better than spraying randomly without finding any harborage and having no idea where the bed bugs are or if they are there at all, which I doubt with your timeline.

11. freakingout123

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Jan 24 2018 19:26:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks BigDummy. On one hand I doubt it too but we are waking up with itchy bumps that I have no other explanation for. We had bed bugs 8 years ago for over a year so I think that's what makes it so much harder to be optimistic. Any itchy bumps puts me into full panic mode, especially in the middle of winter. I guess we'll see if this next inspection comes up with anything. If not, I'm not sure what to do...

12. freakingout123

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jan 28 2018 7:29:32
    #

Login to Send PM

The new inspector hasn't came yet but I'm still curious about something. I get bit in bed only. I've had these sticky glue traps under my bed legs for over a month. *If it is in fact bugs, are they only in my bed, box spring or frame?* I have not found anything in the glue traps. I have seen the post about them avoiding tape and such but wouldn't they have to try to cross to get to me? So is possible they are only in my bed somewhere?

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jan 28 2018 7:51:39
    #

Login to Send PM

freakingout123 - 20 minutes ago  » 
    The new inspector hasn't came yet but I'm still curious about something. I get bit in bed only. I've had these sticky glue traps under my bed legs for over a month. *If it is in fact bugs, are they only in my bed, box spring or frame?* I have not found anything in the glue traps. I have seen the post about them avoiding tape and such but wouldn't they have to try to cross to get to me? So is possible they are only in my bed somewhere?

It's not all the time that bed bugs crawl up and down the bed legs. Pitfall traps are better than glue. Was your bed dismantled for the inspection? I might have missed it, but what type of bed and bed frame is it?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  14. freakingout123

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jan 28 2018 9:21:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Lou, I can't afford the pitfall or climb ups at the moment. The mattress and box spring were both lifted up against the wall for inspection if that's what you mean. I just have a simple metal frame with no head board. I'm not sure if the other inspector looked at that but I did with my inspections. I just feel like whatever it is has to be in my bed. I would think after a month of the sticky glue traps being there, I would have caught something. I'm not sure how the climb ups would be any different if you say it's possible there not using the bed legs to get into the bed. I'm getting bit every single night.

15. freakingout123

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jan 28 2018 18:22:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm thinking of just tossing the bed/frame and see what happens. We will be getting new furniture in a couple weeks anyway. (depending if it's bed bugs or not)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956