Bed Frame Suggestion? Metal Platform?

(7 posts)
  1. maltmom

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 28 2014 19:55:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I need advice on a bed frame as I've researched too much and am now indecisive. The other day we bought a regular bed frame to get the box spring and mattress off the floor and now it's way to high for safety sake! The dog stairs are now to low for fluffs to use and my 5 lb maltese jumped off today and almost gave me a heart attack! Now I remember why we got rid of the frame to begin with. And, hubby is disabled and if he falls off he could get really hurt. I can barely get on the darn thing.

First thought was to place the mattress directly on the new frame, but not sure if this would work at all. Would it hold up the mattress? Would the mattress slip off the head or foot of frame? Has anyone tried this?

Second thought was plywood - then I saw this was a terrible idea as it would be the perfect hiding spot for bed bugs. Not to mention the possibility of tearing the encasement we will be getting at treatment. Could we seal the plywood with something to eliminate the crevices? Encase the plywood in something?

Finally and what I'm leaning toward is purchasing a metal platform bed frame, but there seems to be a lot of little hiding spots in it as well as there are many parts and pieces to it.

Any advice on the best thing to do? Thanks in advance!

Linda

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 28 2014 20:29:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear malt,

Some practical advice for your consideration based upon your parameters posted above:

Plywood:
    FIRST check with your mattress supplier/manufacturer to assure that this will not adversely affect the performance or warranty of your mattress !
    Use 3/4 inch A/C birch cabinet grade type plywood.
    (Note that A/C means it is sanded smooth on one side and that cabinet grade means that there are no gaps in the end grain such that there should be no cracks or crevices for bed bugs to hide. This plywood can cost about $50 per 4 x 8' sheet and it's heavy.)
    You will need enough plywood to provide a complete platform upon which your mattress will rest atop the metal bed frame.
    Have the plywood edges all sanded to remove any sharp edges.
    Have the plywood surface finished with white or light color stain.
    Put two coats of polyurethane over the stain to create a smooth surface which will not likely tear your encasement or other fabrics.

You can use the excess 3/4 plywood to construct a suitable ramp or steps for Fluffy. You may wish to cover the ramp with carpet to make it easier to climb.

You should be able to find a "handy man" type guy who can do this work.

Also, find a competent bed bug professional who can address you bed bug concerns successfully such that you can have your life back and not need to worry about bed bugs !

Hope this helps ! pjb

3. maltmom

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 28 2014 20:55:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Paul. That's a lot of work! But, will do a search on who locally carries this type of plywood and give it some thought and see what hubby thinks.

So, you think the metal bed frame is a bad idea?

The mattress is old, out of warranty, and will be replaced once we're cleared of bugs.

Hoping to get Fischer out here soon!

Thanks again!

PS: Ramp for fluffs...great idea!!!!

Linda

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 28 2014 21:53:28
    #

Login to Send PM

No, metal frame is not a problem.

If standard bed height is an issue, you can always purchase or build a suitable step such that you can get on your bed without difficulty.

If you're concerned about anyone falling off the bed, there are various protective barriers which can be used to prevent this too.

pjb

5. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 29 2014 9:01:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear maltmom,

When I purchased a new mattress (it was several years ago), I mentioned to the salesman that I didn't like how "high" the new beds sat because it was hard to get into them (I didn't want to have to use a step stool to get into my bed for heaven's sake!) . . .

anyway when I mentioned that to him, he responded by telling me that they have a "thinner" box spring (and that's what I bought). I don't know what the official name of such a thing is, but I did try to search for it on the web.

Do a search for "Low Profile Foundation Box Spring" and see if that might be something you could use???

Good Luck!

6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 29 2014 9:58:49
    #

Login to Send PM

There are benefits to being the very tall. I like the high height, but I did have to buy steps for animals. I have been there....seeing your little dog fly off the bed...it's scary!!

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  7. maltmom

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 30 2014 16:44:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all of the advice, but I realized something when I went to measure the mattress to see what size plywood I would need.

The thing I realized? I'm a moron! lol

Our bed is so old that it's an Olympic Queen (they don't make them anymore)! The mattress is six inches wider than a queen so it won't fit directly on the new frame we bought without the box spring. The box spring is queen sized except for at the top it too is six inches wider to accommodate the width of the mattress.

The platform frame I was looking at is 14 inches tall and the mattress itself is so tall that it works out to be almost the same height as the current frame, box spring, and mattress.

So..the whole thing is going back on the floor. Unbelievably, the mattress is still in really good shape, but once this is all over with I think we'll get a new bed! A good old school one - no fads, no new technology....

As it is I have to order our sheets online and have had to for years!!! I can't believe I totally forgot about this!!

Sorry for wasting everyone's time who was kind enough to reply - hopefully it will help someone in the future!

Linda

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,306 posts in 50,168 topics over 155 months by 21,929 of 22,426 members. Latest: MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo