Bed Frame Question

(2 posts)
  1. no-rest-for-the-infested

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 26 2017 2:41:25
    #

Login to Send PM

For a few weeks now, I've been being by something. The first time the marks were quite big, itchy, and swollen, but since then they've mostly been what looks like a pinprick without any swelling.

I suspect it could be beg bugs, but I can't find any definitive signs of them. I have checked my bedroom fairly thoroughly and only saw what could've been a row of eggs on the zipper seam of my futon couch, although they were under a millimeter in size so that might be too small, I'm not sure. I also turned up what looked like a possible cast skin from an early instar, but it was so small that I either lost or crushed it when trying to pick it up with scotch tape.

Then it occurred to me I have a large, tubular metal bed frame with dozens of openings leading inside its pipes. Is it possible that if I did have bed bugs that they're all just nesting inside the tubes of my bed frame and that's why I haven't found signs of them elsewhere? If so, what should I do about that? I want to call an exterminator, but I'm aware that any reputable PCO would only treat if there are definitive signs of an infestation, which I have been unable to find.

What I HAVE found are carpet beetles. Several dozens of larvae casts, and a few live and dead larvae and adults, but the quantity of casts suggests the beetles have definitely been here for more than a few years at least, as I've read that in some cases it can take up to two years for just ONE to mature, so it seems unlikely that if the bites I'm getting could just be a carpet beetle allergy because this only started a few weeks ago and the beetles have clearly been around for much longer than that.

Also, I have seen a few house centipedes, which suggests I'm dealing with some kind of infestation as they are known insect killers, and in some cases have even been known to hunt bed bugs. I know a few centipedes doesn't confirm beg bugs, but taken alongside the bites and bed frame situation do you think there should be reasonable suspicion of bed bugs?

Any input would be a great help, as I feel like I'm going crazy trying to solve this puzzle with what little evidence I have.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 26 2017 7:13:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you search the information on carpet beetles you may find it's the cause of your problem. Otherwise it's best to monitor to confirm bed bugs.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19