Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

bed encasements and pets

(6 posts)
  1. itchyincharmcity

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Nov 8 2007 13:02:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Do any cat owners have advice on mattress encasements?

I have read that cats with claws can do damage to mattress covers. I am about to buy an NA but I do have a cat who likes to claw the mattress, boxspring. Speedy goes Saturday to live with my mom for a few weeks but she will be back.

Is there any point in buying two covers? Maybe her claw won't go thru both? That's probably wishful thinking. And perhaps a waste of money.

Have you guys had problems spraying things on the encasements? Does it degrade the impenetrability? I am wondering if spraying cat repellent would be a bad idea.

Alternatively, what about double-stick tape? I buy those strips at the pet shop, it does a good job keeping her from clawing the couch, maybe I will stick it all over the sides of the mattress. Maybe it would also catch stray bugs.

I guess I could just keep the door closed at all times and lock her out. Poor thing does love to sleep with me.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Nov 8 2007 13:55:23
    #

Login to Send PM

The double tape method might work on the sides of the mattress. I cannot speak to whether chemicals in the spray would hurt the cover. I'd keep the claws as trimmed as you can.
    Banishing cats, if it works, is probably the best method. But I know how hard it is, too!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. buggeroff

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Nov 8 2007 14:36:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Put a regular cotton mattress pad over the encasement on the mattress. Garnet Hill sells a "box spring cover" that has a padded band around the side and a cotton fabric over the top. Both will help keep the cat's claws out of the encasement underneath.

If your cat has a preference for a particular corner of the bed, tape over that corner of the encasement with duct tape and fold a towel around that corner under the fitted sheet.

Trim kitty's claws just enough to blunt the tips (you'll have to do this pretty much every week).

Buy kitty a new scratching post or give her the couch to destroy.

I wouldn't spray anything on the bed myself, but if you wanted to experiment with cat repellent, it might be worth laying a sheet so it drapes over the side of the bed (not to the floor!) and spray that. At least if it doesn't work, you can wash the sheet and go on to Plan B.

Cats need to claw something and I wouldn't lock my kitty out of the bed for love, money or bed bugs, but there are things you can do to help make a decent compromise.

4. Bites44

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Nov 8 2007 16:11:08
    #

Login to Send PM

My cats are not allowed in the bedroom right now. They sleep on my new recliner chair in the LR, which I believe is infested.

Over my good mattress encasement, I have placed a nice soft padded mattress pad, and I sleep on that. It is like a sheet with elastic corners, and washable. It ensures that I do not rip the encasement with my own nail or toe. I think this kind of a thing might also work for your kitty. (the mattress pads are not expensive) Good luck with that.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Nov 8 2007 21:49:41
    #

Login to Send PM

If anyone is "isolating the bed", then they would have to banish the cat completely from the bed.

6. itchyincharmcity

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Nov 9 2007 14:16:23
    #

Login to Send PM

My poor little baby goes away tomorrow for who knows how long. Not only is she a potentiall subway for bugs, I also live in a pet-free building, the cat is illegal. i don't need to get busted by the PCO and/or maintenace staff.

It is pretty ironic that the cat is leaving. This morning I spoke to the building manager and asked for a pest inspection (it is scheduled for next Friday, 11/16. I have not been bitten in six days so I am hoping that waiting a week will be OK.)

Anyway, when I said I need the pest guy the manager asks "you don't live on the third floor do you?" "No," I replied suspiciously, "I'm on 4, why?"

Apparently there is a big mouse problem on 3, about 6 apartments! If I annhialate the bedbugs only to get mice I will be really angry!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,373 posts in 50,181 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993