Bed Defense

(21 posts)
  1. gordonhumbled

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 19:03:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed Defense is a phoney. I opened one up and all it has in it is a clean cotton ball. It is a rip off. Don't buy it. I am going to file a complaint with the FBI. My problem is that I live in Japan and purchased the item through a friend in Florida. That makes it a bit complicated. DON'T BUY BED DEFENSE. IT IS A FAKE.
    Their ad does not say that it attracts bed bugs and kills them. They would like you to believe that it is like an ant hotel. I first talked to the rep on the phone before I bought it and he did not correct my thinking that it was like an ant hotel and told me that the word "repel" in the ad was only advertisement talk. But the ad only says repel not kill. But it does not do that. A cotton ball will not repel anything.
    I called to complain and after the lady got the file, she said, "Now," and her voice was cut off by music and it played continuously until I cut off the call. They didn't want to talk to me.

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 19:25:17
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are going to lodge a complaint, it should be with the consumer protection agency in either the state where the company is based or in the state where the item was shipped to. If you choose to go to the federal government, the right agency is the Federal Trade Commisdion, not the FBI.

Was the cotton impregnated with any substances? Was there an odor? Would you be wiling to post pictures of the device, instructions, etc.? (Just as we recommend with BB picture ID, set up a pseudonym account on Flickr or PhotoBucket and post the link.)

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. BedBugMutts

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 20:33:14
    #

Login to Send PM

The Who Is database lists the contact address as:
    11400 W. Olympic Blvd. Suite 200
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    The listing for the owner of the site is protected unfortunately.

The website makes no claim as to how it works. Snake oil in a cotton ball.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 21:53:31
    #

Login to Send PM

If the site owner's name is not listed in Whois, I would not assume they are at the address listed. Private registrations are often managed by proxies.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 6 2012 7:31:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I did test this a while ago and probably forgot to write up the fact that its absolutely useless.

The concept of sleeping near something that smells so nasty did not appeal to me.

I will try and dig out the data and write it all up.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 6 2012 7:36:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe we need to post a page here on products that don't work???

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 6 2012 7:43:34
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 6 minutes ago  » 
    Maybe we need to post a page here on products that don't work???

It would be a long post Paul.

David

8. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 6 2012 7:46:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, maybe it should be a permanent page on product reviews ? However, it would take some monitoring & managing to assure that it was fair and objective. pb

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 6 2012 7:58:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Paul,

It may be easier to list what works and then offer other products the ability to get on the list if we know get proof they work.

David

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 6 2012 8:11:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, a products that work page is a good idea-- although Useful Stuff is kind of the current working model for that.

Does that work or do we need a new page?

We do need more links to studies showing data.

11. BedBugMutts

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 6 2012 11:45:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I like the new page idea in addition to the current Useful Stuff simply because negative news is a bigger draw - you reach more people; back to the 'spread the word'.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 6 2012 12:04:37
    #

Login to Send PM

BedBugMutts - 16 minutes ago  » 
    I like the new page idea in addition to the current Useful Stuff simply because negative news is a bigger draw - you reach more people; back to the 'spread the word'.

Hi Bed Bug Mutts,

Like David, I am inclined to have a "products that work list" rather than a "products that don't work list."

Two reasons:

1) Unless you have testing data linked to from the outset, you're opening up quite a can of worms, in terms of defamation.

2) It would be impossible to list all the products not known to work-- much easier to list the ones known to (again, with test data).

13. BedBugMutts

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 6 2012 12:16:10
    #

Login to Send PM

a-ok, makes sense, particularly re. defamation can-of-worms.

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 6 2012 12:30:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yeah we need to keep on the positive even when we know its a bag of bones they are selling. No finer point than with a product I recently received, I am giving them every chance to do the right thing but they cant help but fail to be honest.

David

15. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 6 2012 15:25:26
    #

Login to Send PM

How about if we described the products, application, precautions and what research supports or contraindicates it?

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 6 2012 21:51:17
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 6 hours ago  » 
    How about if we described the products, application, precautions and what research supports or contraindicates it?

Yes! Or:
    Name of product
    Type of product
    Link to label instructions (so we're not going against or duplicating them)
    Information on research (if any)

We can actually just start a new thread for each product, and then I can add the information to a FAQ.

17. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 7 2012 7:35:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Is there a wiki feature in Wordpress or that mates with it? This would keep the profiles separate and distinct.

18. gordonhumbled

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 7 2012 10:51:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I have an idea for something that may attract and kill the bed bugs. Bed bugs are attracted to carbon dioxide like mosquitos. They also must be attracted to blood or the smell of it. The invention would be like a mosquito magnet electric trap that electrocutes the bug when they go inside. One could attract the bugs by using small tanks of carbon dioxide that also has a blood smell to it. The tanks could be made to insert easily onto a needle that punctures a valve to release the gas. It would be like the ant hotels that attract the bug inside to be electrocuted. One could set it up overnight in a room and get the bugs when they come out to feed. I have no resources in Japan to make one but maybe someone on the forum knows someone who could.

19. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 7 2012 10:59:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi gordenhumbled,

I can see your logic but the flaw is that bedbugs are not attracted to blood itself unless it is still circulating inside a human or animal.

If you look in the FAQ's and the useful stuff you will see that there are already some devices that work.

Hope that helps.

David

20. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 7 2012 11:49:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Gordon. Picking up from David:

BB feed on blood, but I gather that they don't use "the smell of blood" to find their food source. Research finds that they do use CO2 as their cue. It's likely (beyond my expertise) that they also look for other scents.

There are a few different traps that have been developed to leverage CO2:
    - Changlu Wang's "DIY" trap using dry ice (cumbersome)
    - The electronic "NightWatch" and "CDC3000", which use CO2 canisters (pricy)
    - The Beacon, which generates CO2 using a chemical reaction

The traps generally do not kill. There's concern among some researchers that BB in distress will secrete an "alarm pheromone" that will warn their cohorts to avoid an area (i.e., the trap).

Traps at this point are generally seen as aids for detection, rather than for total eradication. (I believe that David has done some eradication work with traps.)

21. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 0:42:01
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 17 hours ago  » 
    Is there a wiki feature in Wordpress or that mates with it? This would keep the profiles separate and distinct.

Yes, I will work on the wiki solution.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,330 posts in 50,174 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14