BED BUGS THE MUSICAL

(14 posts)
  1. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 1 2012 12:13:43
    #

Login to Send PM

This past weekend I had the opportunity to attend a showing of " Bed Bugs The Musical".
    http://www.bedbugsmusical.com/
    It was off off Broadway and billed as a Comedy Sci Fi Thriller Rock Musical, and it was. I found it most interesting from a cultural entomological standpoint. The main stage props were three joined mattresses which were used as interchangeable props for luxury hotels and tenements alike, not to mention in the cimex sex scene. The music and performances were good and the songs memorable though I doubt "Pierce me" will find you singing the words in a crowded elevator.
    It will be interesting to see what they do with it if it gets to off Broadway.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 1 2012 13:22:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its a shame I missed its opening when I was in NY.

I hope its on again so I get to come and inspect the theater seat before I watch it.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Scr0bbled

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 1 2012 17:52:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Omg, that sounds brilliant. I thought you were joking when I saw the title, was thinking along the lines of 'springtime for hitler

Good to know people are keeping a sense of humour in such bugtastic times.

/me remembers the episode of creepshow I think it was when the guy tried to seal himself away from bugs and they eventually got in and got him and another one when they were crawling under the blokes skin...no wonder I"ve been so creeped out by the possibility of having bb barstewards.

Scr0bbled

4. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 2 2012 8:23:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I obviously am a fan of that clip with E.G. Marshall from the first Creep Show film. Following find a synopsis. Actually I may pull out the film and watch it this post Halloween/Sandy weekend.

"They're Creeping Up on You!"

(Fifth and final story, written by King expressly for the film) Upson Pratt is a cruel, ruthless businessman whose mysophobia has him living in a hermetically sealed apartment controlled completely with electric locks and surveillance cameras. During a particularly severe lightning storm he finds himself looking out over the steel canyons of New York City as a rolling blackout travels his way. When it hits his apartment tower, the fun begins for the audience, and the terror begins for Mr. Pratt. The ruthless tycoon now finds himself helpless when his flat becomes overrun by countless hordes of aggressive multi-sized cockroaches—perhaps symbolizing the revenge of all the "little people" he has spent his entire life stepping on. As the cockroaches begin to overrun him, he locks himself inside a panic room, only to find the cockroaches have already infested the room. With no way to escape, the roaches swarm on him, and eventually grotesquely burst out from his corpse.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 2 2012 8:34:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the review, Winston!

We first heard about this show a few years ago.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. Scr0bbled

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 2 2012 20:35:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah yeah thanks winston, that's the one I was on about, seems a bit of a case of life imitating art, seeing as it was set in N.Y. There was another episode where a criminal guy kept thinking he was seeing bugs crawling under his skin and in the end he was totally overrun by them. Not sure if that was creepshow or not, but I seem to remember some graphics at the end so maybe.

Have you ever read Kafka's "Metamorphosis'? It"s a great story. I a saw a stage version of it a few years ago, the guy playing the main character was amazing, a real gymnast, was hanging upside down and allsorts, he had the buggy movements down to a tee. I"d recommend that anyone who has the chance goes to see a stage version of it.

Thanks for the link nobugs.

Maybe we should start a bug related "arts" thread...

7. blargg

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 2 2012 21:49:10
    #

Login to Send PM

blargg - 39 seconds ago  » 
    Playable music links here: http://www.bedbugsmusical.com/music/

"We won't die; we'll bite your neck and bite your fannie, hide in every nook and cranny."

8. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 12 2012 10:34:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes I have read Kafka's "Metamorphosis" and have the t shirt as well, I actually use the opening lines from the book when introducing the topic of metamorphosis (Latin for change and the way most insects develop) in classes. And actually there is a whole field of Cultural Entomology which encompasses a multitude of insect related influences in society. But don't get me started.
    The hornet, Jiminy Cricket, firefly luminescence, busy as a bee, horror movies, books, songs, art, weapons of war and medical cures.

9. MyWorstFear

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 12 2012 23:41:40
    #

Login to Send PM

blargg - 1 week ago  » 

blargg - 39 seconds ago  » 
    Playable music links here: http://www.bedbugsmusical.com/music/

"We won't die; we'll bite your neck and bite your fannie, hide in every nook and cranny."

OMG, I think I would die if I had to sit thru that musical and I love theater! Instead of humming the songs on the way out, was the audience scratching???

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 12 2012 23:49:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Winston O. Buggy - 13 hours ago  » 
    Yes I have read Kafka's "Metamorphosis" and have the t shirt as well, I actually use the opening lines from the book when introducing the topic of metamorphosis (Latin for change and the way most insects develop) in classes. And actually there is a whole field of Cultural Entomology which encompasses a multitude of insect related influences in society. But don't get me started.

I want to "like" this! Have to work on the bells and whistles here...

11. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 13 2012 22:38:36
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 week ago  » 
    ...Its a shame I missed its opening...

Bed bugs have been known to do that, too.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  12. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 14 2012 9:23:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Cilecto, lol

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Oct 6 2014 10:07:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Probably should have posted a new one, but saw the musical on Sunday. The cast really had strong voices, songs quite good, acting great. Very entertaining. Almost every cast member plays more than one part and all quite well. 2 Thumbs up.
    The first half supposed to be more scientific and to a degree it was but just some technicalities. I spoke to some of the cast and the writer after the matinee. The writer's family was present, too, taking pictures of some of the cast members.
    BTW, I brought some of the bugs with me to see the show -- 4 small vials. They were very pleased with it as well, but I had to keep pulling them away from the seats as we were leaving. It was a bit X-rated so I hope the nymphs weren't surprised by what they heard, but they have to grow up anyway and not lead such a secluded life.
    All kidding aside, the cast and family really didn't know what bed bugs looked like, but now they do.
    If you get a chance to see it -- Last show November 2 -- you should.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Oct 6 2014 23:47:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the amusing review, Lou!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,668 posts in 49,313 topics over 152 months by 21,611 of 22,037 members. Latest: Jaded48, ctd2289, N52B30AE