Bed bugs -- the life ruiner. NEW TO THIS

(13 posts)
  1. muffinsrequired

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Mar 24 2010 19:52:10
    #

Login to Send PM

at first i started to get these things that were like hives.
    i didnt think too much about it and thought i was eating something i was allergic to.
    one day my sister found an adult bed bug ON ME
    i cleaned everything in my bed and took away all the stuffed animals.
    after that i didnt get bitten for maybe about a week.
    then i started getting bitten again.
    i woke up in the middle of the night to find one on my blanket
    i went back to sleep again and found a nymph on my pillow.
    every time i clean my bed and wash & dry everything at the laundromat, it doesnt bite me for the first day or two, but then it starts again.
    the worse part is that my walls are the wood panels or whatever
    and i have A BUNK BED, drawers underneath, no box spring
    ive stopped checking the bed when i didnt get bitten, but the other day i looked, i found shells or something
    havent found eggs on the seams or anything
    i've seriously come to the point where i'm stressed over it and i can't sleep. when i get bitten i don't go back to sleep for HOURS.
    this is seriously the most stressful thing in my WHOLE life
    more stressing than anything so far
    i have midterms and speeches and its just too tiring to wake up every night
    i usually get bitten by ONE bed bug EACh night ..
    last night i found the SMALLEST TINIEST nymph EVER! since im so paranoid i always check EVERYTHING when i wake up and i found a babYbABYBABY nymph that was dead or something on my bedsheet.
    i dont know where its coming from and i dont know what to do
    i've read about all the pesticides and sprays and i see reviews that they work and then i see a lot more reviews saying that they DONT work.
    i dont need sprays that kills them ON contact because i found out that spraying rubbing alcohol (70% one) kills them instantly on contact also.. before i sleep i spray the seams and corners of the bed with rubbing alcohol but they still bite me
    i cant move my bed away from the wall because its a bunk bed and i cant but the things on the legs
    BECAUSe its a bunk bed and its surrounded by 2 walls and a drawer
    the only effective thing i've read that works are the steamers . . i would REALLY want to find one that ACTUALLY works. some people say the cheap 50 dollar ones work but MAJORITY of the people say it doesnt. i usually read about the $300-1000 working to effectively get rid of them, but I CANT AFFORD THAT. i just started college (im living at home) and i dont even have a job!
    the worse part is that
    MY PARENTS REFUSE TO HELP ME
    all they tell me is that "if you're clean, they won't bite you"
    uh hello, i shower everyday, i change into pajamas before i sleep and i always wash the bed sheets, pillow cover and blanket.
    i dont know if they're from my mattress, but i dont THINK so
    i've learned to sleep with long sleeves and i put scrunchies at the end of the sleeves so they wont crawl up.
    i'm SO paranoid i'm about to kill myself and let my parents deal with it!!!
    no i won't do that, but i'm just saying that because that's how stressed i feel.
    my parents wont let me get a steamer because they say its bad for my bed.. moisture... blahblah.. EVEN if its a dry steamer...
    i don't have money to hire any professionals.
    now every night i have trouble falling asleep. i feel like i'm getting bitten when i'm not.
    i turn my lamp on and leave it on for a long time
    please tell me what to do..
    i even tried putting tape around the bed, but nothing sticks on to it.

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Mar 24 2010 20:38:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Muffins: Sorry to welcome you here. You're clearly suffering, but living with your mom, ultimately, she's going to have to come around and lead this effort. You could go through the Resources page and view the good FAQs and guides that are there. Like this one: http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/whats_bugging_you/bed_bugs/bedbugs_faqs.asp
    BB are not easy. You spray alcohol and it kills the ones it hits, then immediately evaporates and has no effect. The next layer of bugs get hungry and find you. You leave the lights on and the bugs decide f- it, we gotta eat and find you (or find ways to you through the dark). If you have BB in your bed, chances are they are or will be elsewhere in your apartment or your building. You can buy a steamer, but if it's thr wrong kind or it's not used as part of a systematic approach, it's a waste. BTW, the consensus on this board that that $50 steamer that guy on youtube sells is not worth it and the guy oversimplifies the work you need to do. Perhaps you can get some help (on how to work with your mom) from your school's health/counseling office. But ultimately, this is a big job and not a solo effort. Focus on mitigating your symptoms (i.e. anti-itch), conservative, non-repellent kill tactics, and preventing spread to visitors or the places you visit. You will find a lot of compassion, camaraderie and wisdom here, so hit us with your questions and fears. Treat yourself well. Hang in there.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Mar 24 2010 20:38:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Muffin,

hang on there... if you are really thinking about killing yourself (as in, you've seriously considered it and/or planned how you would do it) you need to talk to your parents or a suicide help line ASAP. Your life is way more important than this problem. There is a post up at the top that can tell you how to get help if you are suicidal.

To be totally honest, the thought crossed my mind when I started dealing with bedbugs. I wasn't seriously suicidal, but when you encounter big problems in life giving up may seem appealing. The good news is, things CAN get better, and even if they don't, you won't always feel the way you do now. Bedbugs might always creep you out, but once you get past the initial "EEEKS!" you'll see them more as a problem to be solved and less as an insurmountable, horrible barrier to a happy life.

Now a couple practical suggestions... see if you can get your parents to check out this website. Maybe that will help them to understand the severity of the issue. I think the mos important thing right now is showing them that bedbugs are not a product of "dirtiness" and they can happen to anyone... 5 star hotels, wealthy travelers, etc.

It's good that you're un-cluttering your room. Keep that up... It can be expensive to fight these things, but it will also help you prioritize what things in your life are really worth keeping.

If your bed cannot be moved away from the wall, treated and isolated, you may want to consider spending a little money on a different bed frame that can be isolated, and just get rid of the bunk bed. Might be a better use of $ than the steamer, in my opinion.

Also, although the alcohol should work on contact, it does not have any residual effect on the bugs. You definitely need a residual pesticide to get rid of these things. Your best bet would be to get an exterminator involved, but I know that will be hard if the parental units are not willing to help. Keep reading this website and you'll pick up some ideas for self-treating.

Most of all, stay connected to others who understand what you're going through. There are also lots of experts on here (like KillerQueen) who can give you great advice. But at the same time, don't spend too much time on here... it is possible to think about these little buggers too much.

Take some deep breaths, remember a relaxing or happy time in your life, and realize you will be happy again.

FOAB

4. MBcowboy

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Mar 24 2010 20:42:39
    #

Login to Send PM

muffinsrequired,

Bed bugs are indiscriminate. They do not care if you are clean or dirty, rich or poor, old or young. The reality is that if you do not have the resources for professional pest control treatment and your parents refuse to help you at this point, it is only a matter of time before what sounds like a moderate infestation currently expands to a major infestation for the entire house and all occupants to enjoy.

I word of advice to your parents may be to deal with the bed bugs now or the cost will be dramatically higher once they spread to all inhabited areas of the home. Advise them to educate themselves on the bed bugs as burying your head in the sand only gets sand in your ears.

Bed bugs are master survivors and can hide anywhere and everywhere. You likely have bed bugs on your mattress however check the entire bunk bed structure as the amount you are talking about as far as activity leads me to believe you have a sizable issue to deal with.

Home remedies and non-registered products are risky to use when dealing with bed bugs. My advice is find a way to employ a reputable pest management professional very soon for hundreds of dollars in several chemical treatments. Chemical treatments take time as eggs are immune to chemicals on the market available to the pest management industry - do not let anyone tell you differently. If the problem grows to major infestation levels infecting all rooms in the home, heat is a reliable option for all stages as is gas if gov't allows but the costs will run into the $1,000's per treatment.

Steam works if it is the right machine, under the right circumstances with a trained professional working the nozzle. Excess moisture is a concern however running a fan, opening windows or just about anything else you can do to circulate air therefore drying out the treated areas will usually ease any angst surrounding excess moisture.

The reality is now that you have bed bugs you will need to deal with them where they hide and that can be very difficult. Leaving lights on, wearing scrunchies around your arms, wearing pajamas is great if it helps ease your stress levels but will do very little to deter the bed bugs in the long run.

I can not stress enough the education process for you and your family when dealing with bed bugs. Find a way to get a professional treatment program going in your home ASAP. It will cost a little money today but save you thousands in the long run.

Good luck but please consider my thoughts above as doing nothing will only make the problem much worse and soon.

5. Sleepless77

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Mar 25 2010 4:25:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey, I know exactly how you feel. I didn't have a bed before so I had to sleep on th floor.. so my mom found a used bed... LOADED w/BB.s. The worst part about it all is that I have been unemployed (no jobs around here) and she won't hardly help. She bought some foggers but a day after they were crawling around. She won't listen to me at all, call an exterminater, tell the landlord, or buy correct spray. She thinks these are like fleas that will die easily. I'm including a timeline in my post of all my efforts, maybe they can help you, since we are in the same financial situation... lots of luck.

This is a timeline until I (hopefully) rid my home of these.

3-09-2010- found nest in bed, hauled bed to trash the second I found them, after killing them with air freshener (only kills on contact), stayed up 2 days, bagged all cotton items,
    bedding, things around the bed and in the room. all went into my storage closet.
    got Hot Shot bed bug and Flea spray and sprayed everything. found them in the cat furniture and eggs in the computer chair, threw out cat furniture. found a live one on door hours after spraying. out of spray. slept fitfully

3-10-2010 woke up and there were 7 live ones on the living room futon, killed them.

the 12th- got more spray. sprayed everything. took drawers out of dresser and sprayed,
    vaccumed, swept. mopped and went through almost all clutter.

13th--Caulked all holes in walls and futon arms. Set off 4 foggers, One fogger covers 1,400 sq. feet and my apartment is only around 700

14th- came home, found 2 live ones. One in an old box full of books in the bedroom, and One coming
    out of the futon arms in the livingroom. Killed both and taped up creases in arms that
    caulk did not seal. Sprayed some more, mopped and swept.

15-Woke up, no bites! Will keep home under inspection and update. Bought 4 tupperwares and filled them with water and dish soap. Set futon legs in them.

17th- Found one fully grown one on the bed. Will tape up the futon some more and
    not put the remaining 3 front futon legs down until I Get tupperware

21st-Noticed one coming through the front door so I soaked the whole door with
    spray all to hell.

22nd- Found one adult one, after putting out all the washed cat's toys again. Ugh!
    It was going toward the black antique cabnit. Burnt it with a cig then
    sprayed the whole cabinet with spray until I could almost imagine
    their screams of agony. Ran out of Hot Shot BB & flea so used Ortho Home Defense Max (Not for BB's.) Found another one on a cat toy, nestled almost out of sight between a fake mouse toys' ears. Threw it in the toilet and it took minutes for it to drown. Washed the cat toys and dried them. Set them out again.

23rd- No sightings of bugs, or bites. Can't sleep still because I know they
    are in the futon arms and possibly the computer chair, mom will not help buy
    new ones. I have taken to taking naps in the middle of the day only and
    stay up all night. Inspect the 2 rooms almost constantly when awake.

25th of March- Still no BB's or bites but I'm almost positive they're still in here.

6. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Mar 25 2010 8:21:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleepless77 - 3 hours ago  » 

13th-- Set off 4 foggers, One fogger covers 1,400 sq. feet and my apartment is only around 700

I soaked the whole door with spray all to hell.

This is madness. Houses explode from people using too many bug bombs. "Soaking" is not a good strategy either.

Right product, right placement, right amount is the way to win.

Jim

7. MBcowboy

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Mar 25 2010 16:01:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleepless77,

Please be careful with your treatments - you can really hurt yourself as well as anyone in the surrounding buildings.

Get a top rate LED flashlight, magnifying glass, a very thin knife blade or credit card-type plastic and scrape all cracks and crevices for signs of activity. Aggressively vacuum all fabrics and furniture using a stiff nylon bristle brush to dislodge the eggs. If you vacuum, spray the hose afterwards with a contact kill and dispose of the vacuum bag immediately after you place it in a plastic garbage bag and spray it with a contact kill and finally sealing it.

Bug bombs used improperly create big troubles. DDT - extremely effective for bed bugs - was used indiscriminately as well and that product has been taken away in North America.

I know it is harrowing to live with bed bugs. Hang in there but please be safe in doing so.

8. muffinsrequired

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Mar 26 2010 15:01:46
    #

Login to Send PM

do you know what's even worse? my mom won't let me use the vacuum and disapproves of me buying one!

9. MBcowboy

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Mar 26 2010 16:49:22
    #

Login to Send PM

You are fighting a losing battle if you can not access the rudimentary tools required.

Good luck but the position your parents seem to be taking is a recipe for a sure fire major infestation.

Maybe print some information off the internet and have them look at what you are dealing with.

10. Sleepless77

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Apr 5 2010 4:49:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you very much for your feedback. I literally carry a magnifying glass and card around 24/7 lol. So far the bed, futon, and computer chair have gone to the curb. I'm not realy concerned about my safety right now. the cats are safe and thats all that matters, they live with my mom acrss town sincei first saw the bugs. I'm not scared, I know what I'll have to do in a couple of months. I already have an anxiety/panic disorder that this just heightens to unbelievable hights. And yes, I know I am doing this wrong by fogging but I don't have the money to do otherwise. I'm sorry.
    muffins required i wish u the best and i hope your parents start to listen
    I'm done. good luck, best wishes and all that.

11. Allipat

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Apr 5 2010 8:41:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Muffins,

I'm a new "victim" too- I discovered BB on Feb 13th. I'm unemloyed and pretty much broke, so have no money for pco's. I bought some DE powder and Murphy's Oil Soap and have been using them to protect myself- i haven't been bitten for 20 days now. Everyone's situation is different, so just read all of the posts on this forum- especially the success stories, and then taylor a plan that will work for you. Good luck!

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Apr 5 2010 8:47:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleepless77 - 3 hours ago  » 
    And yes, I know I am doing this wrong by fogging but I don't have the money to do otherwise. I'm sorry.

Sleepless77,

Foggers can actually make your bed bug problem worse -- it can make bed bugs dig in deeper. This might make bites decrease temporarily, but it does not remove the problem. They will now be much harder to kill and may now have spread everywhere in your home.

Even if foggers were not prone to making bed bug problems worse, using too many for a small space can be extremely dangerous as spideyjg notes, and while you may say you don't care about your own safety, it's hard to believe that the possibility of setting your home on fire or harming yourself and others does not add to your anxiety.

I think everyone here wants to be helpful. People are not simply reacting to your choice to DIY. Sometimes people need to do their own treatment, and there are ways you can make things better on your own, but foggers and overapplications of sprays are NOT the way.

Do you know the laws where you live? It may be so that the health dept. or housing dept. (depending on how things work where you are) can force the landlord to get a proper treatment.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  13. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Apr 5 2010 10:21:58
    #

Login to Send PM

This "foggers are bad" thing has me concerned, as the big home store carries foggers labeled for BB. Which thousands of people are buying and detonating. Which means, several times a day, someone in NYC is spreading their BB to their neighbors. Some of these people likely live near me. How do you dissuade these people, when there's a fogger marked "bedbugs"? Aargh.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82