Arts & crafts

Have "fun"...

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 10 2013 21:11:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Very nice work...is there an ability to translate from italian to english? Then, it would be perfectomondo...

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. bedbugsuptown

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 10 2013 21:22:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Jumping Jehoshaphat, er, marone! AWESOME.

Are these pictures from the field or lab (or both)? Holy Mother of God thankyou EffeCi.

And the addition of the clip art and illustration, Bravo! BRAVO!!

EffeCi, you the Queen Bee. Bravo.

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 10 2013 21:37:06
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi is a Queen Bee? Is this akin to Killer Queen on this forum?

EffeCi..he's a PCO in Italy, so maybe he's ok with the term Queen Bee since Killer Queen is taken...or are you referencing Bee's Knees?

Oh well..I'm getting sleepy.

5. bedbugsuptown

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 10 2013 22:10:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry EffiCi, something got lost in the translation!!!

Okay--YOU are the BURGER KING BEE. now that's fat-- and in the city "fat" is a good thing.
    KillerQueen's name comes from his love of the band Queen....I think.

Growing up everyone was of Italian or Irish descent in my neighborhood. Yeaah, we had a few mutts, and I'm one of 'em.The Italians were all Sicilian, Napalitano, Calabrese. The Irish were all CRAZY!

* the above is a generalization not meant to offend anyone's national origins, creed, or any other crap

6. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 11 2013 4:54:29
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 7 hours ago  » 
    Very nice work...is there an ability to translate from italian to english? Then, it would be perfectomondo...

Yeah, the ability is here, in fact I'm (slowly) adding english texts too.

bedbugsuptown - 7 hours ago  » 
    Jumping Jehoshaphat, er, marone! AWESOME.
    Are these pictures from the field or lab (or both)? Holy Mother of God thankyou EffeCi.
    And the addition of the clip art and illustration, Bravo! BRAVO!!
    EffeCi, you the Queen Bee. Bravo.

Some pics are from my livestock, others (the most part) are of course from field.

I'm a little bit puzzled by "Queen Bee", but I realize the sense of that, so thanks

7. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 11 2013 7:01:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, Photogallery 1 has now english texts too...

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 11 2013 7:31:52
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi,
    I like your pictures. Clear and crisp images to show various infestations and harborages and the bugs themselves. Together we have very good examples of bed bugs and infestations. We can give lessons in Italian and English! Keep up the good work.
    Lou

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  9. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 11 2013 8:54:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi EffeCi,

As much as I dislike looking at bed bug pictures (truly), your photographs are AMAZING . . .truly!

10. bedbugsuptown

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 11 2013 22:29:05
    #

Login to Send PM

dearEffeCi-- I knew you were Italian, thought you were a man and at some point, something about David Cain and 'the Italian', I came to believe that you we're a smart and sexy female entomologist who David fancied. And English is my native tongue, English slang anyway. Slang--butchered or novelty words. I guess Italian language has some of that.

Yes, there is more to the bug than meets the eye. I'm an artist, not an academic--though I do paint in the academic style. LOVE CARAVAGGIO, Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio. A radical painter. Defamed in his time and overlooked for centuries, John T Spike argues that Caravaggio became one of the greatest of the religious painters.

Hopefully this year I will create a hanging mobile sculpture featuring dead bed bugs, perfectly preserved. I'm a novice @ mobile making and have to find an effective way to present preserved bed bugs on or in an artistically pleasing element. Another reason that I appreciate your post so very much. Thanks again.

My current avatar is a photo of an oil portrait I painted of my daughter.

11. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 12 2013 6:59:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I came to believe that you we're a smart and sexy female entomologist who David fancied.

Ahahahah... I'm a 51 years old man, and I'm about the same size of Killer Queen...
    The little smart sexy female is my associated Alessandra, you can see her here. Really a Lady Killer...

Yes, there is more to the bug than meets the eye.

Absolutely yes. I'm not an artist (my wife is) but I however have my artistic (photographic) side.
    Just take a look here:
    Otherwhen (panoramas are all wasting in paint of external side of trains )
    Details
    Cemeteries

OMG.. I just realized that's not a PM, so all the forum will see my pics... lol

Hopefully this year I will create a hanging mobile sculpture featuring dead bed bugs, perfectly preserved. I'm a novice @ mobile making and have to find an effective way to present preserved bed bugs on or in an artistically pleasing element. Another reason that I appreciate your post so very much. Thanks again.

I didn't understand if you want to use real dead and preserved BBs to realize your mobile sculpture or not. If yes my advice is to ask Loubugs how to preserve them. I know how to do that, but it's a little bit difficult to explain that in another language. Basically preserved insects are no more than dried insects, but they're really fragile and I guess you'll need something that's more "tough" to make a mobile sculpture.
    If not, there's an interesting blog that talk about insect models: Museum Model Making

12. bedbugsuptown

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 12 2013 10:57:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Ahahahah... I'm a 51 years old man, and I'm about the same size of Killer Queen...

Yes, this makes it all perfectly clear. Not for nothing but I no longer feel like complete stunad. (Do you use that word for stupid or air head in Italia?) I'm a female, a little older than you. A widow with grown children.

OMG.. I just realized that's not a PM, so all the forum will see my pics... lol

Not to worry. I've revealed far too much, and then I turn it upside down and no one really knows truth from fiction on line. These are wonderful photographs on many levels. I'm sure others will appreciate that they are posted here.

Otherwhen--Belissimo, bravo. Are these photographs of your wife's paintings and do I understand that they are displaced on the outside of a train??? The color is gorgeous. Love the use of a limited palette, these paintings are strong and expressive in the extreme.

Details--yes, the Italian has talent! Your photographs are very cool. All unrelated aside from being a grouping of landscapes and still life. The photographs come together in a wonderful ensemble.
    High color, some use of Chiaroscuro--refined solid composition. (forgive this unsolicited critique)

Cemetaries--These are fabulous. From the utilitarian to the hauntingly traditional into the abstract and to top it off, some fanciful, commonplace humanity. Well done. In this collection I'd like to point to the second from the top- 3 crosses in a row from afar. This would make be a classy resurrection card. 3rd row, far right; Jesus transparent and frozen in time still here among us. Bottom right; abstract but clear as a sunny day. The Mystery Inside!

btw. like the small photo portrait, intense with machismo!

didn't understand if you want to use real dead and preserved BBs to realize your mobile sculpture or not.

Yes, of course, dead bugs, well preserved. I have pm'd Lou and his response was highly positive. It was probably a year ago. The original idea of bed bugs as art came from a poster that visited a unique buggy art shop in Soho, nyc. At the same time I had discovered the art of mobile making on line and thought of a marriage between the two. Lou posted that dead bbs. could be preserved in test tubes filled with colorless hand gel. Note: I may have stated that my mobile making was in an embryonic state. Life happens and the embryo became blighted if you will.

I hope to be able to pick it up once again. In my experiments I did a few mobiles with sea shells. Not bad but the shells were a little heavy for the gauge of the wire I had on hand resulting in little movement without a direct air stream. I looked at a bunch of test tubes online, came close to purchasing some but hesitated. A presentation with bbs. floating in glass vials is no doubt possible, however, research, some money and effort would be needed for securing the test tubes with small wire mounts to allow them to hang. And the tools, drill and bits. Also I would again be dealing with an element much heavier than what is usually used in mobiles for a home. And, the element is highly breakable! My initial goal is not to make the Great American Bed Bug Mobile but rather something fanciful, intriguing and to have inside your home.

The site that you pointed me to is fascinating. And helpful. Again, the problem was the mount and these meticulously hand crafted model bugs, being presented as educational sculpture seemed to have the same problem as I do--the mount. Due to an accident, (me, the pedestrian-hit by a commercial truck) has me on a lengthy if not permanent leave of absence from a job that I only marginally enjoyed. The Museum Modeling site gave me a thought. Maybe I could find a small part-time apprenticeship when I'm a bit more on the mend.

Thanks a million for everything you shared here. Wonderful to get to know EffeCi, see your work and your input--magnifico! May God bless this talented scientist and all those he loves. Happy New Year.

13. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 12 2013 11:16:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Are these photographs of your wife's paintings and do I understand that they are displaced on the outside of a train???

No. Since 2011 I live in the countryside, and so I became a commuter to go to work in the big city (Milano) where I lived before. When I come back home I often have to wait a few teens of minutes in the railway station for my train. So I started to look around searching for something to photograph in this free time.
    Commuter trains are generally old and the external layer of paint if often wasted by weather, vandals, writers and so on. In a short time I realized that some of these wastes strictly resemble imaginery panoramas if you look them from the right point of view, and so I started my photographic research of them.

14. bedbugsuptown

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 12 2013 12:30:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Omg, bellisimo! Found art revived. Exquisite. and Bravo, I'm afraid I might be tapping my foot on the platform waiting for a commute to or from Milan never taking into account what the elements of paint, weathering and whatever additions of graffiti (that are not at all obvious) could result into such radical photographs. Need to have another look-see. You are a true artist.

15. bedbugsuptown

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 12 2013 12:38:14
    #

Login to Send PM

They are all so sophisticated and well done, don't have the word at the moment for the feelings they evoke--all the result of urban grunge. Love that urban grange, Practically of Manhattan has destroyed this kind of thing building ugly souldess structures for greed.. Sad the character of the sity is a thing of the past,

16. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 5 2013 15:02:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Just added a teen of new pics in Photogallery 1

17. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 5 2013 15:55:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I think that I've been looking at too many bed bug photos because I'm starting to think that some of the nymphs are kind of cute.

18. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 5 2013 16:30:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I think that I've been looking at too many bed bug photos because I'm starting to think that some of the nymphs are kind of cute.

Looks like you are starting to develope the "entomologic eye"...

PS:

Yes, they are.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,316 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto