Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Bed Bugs or something else?

(10 posts)
  1. munchkins9802

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 8 2011 8:31:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Morning all. Below is my story. ANd a response from someone who treats bedbugs. I was even at the doctors yesterday and he said it could be a delayed reaction to bedbug bites, could be my stress rash (common with fibro,etc), could be my latex allery) I am notfinding signs of the bugs in my actual house at all. And believe me I have checked everywhere---bookcases, lampshade, mattresses, boxsprings, shower, rugs, ANYTHING wooden in the house. I have become obsessed with trying to find the cause of my rash (not all spots are itchy , the ones that are itch for maybe 10 mins and stop and fade). I am not sure if i have 2 new spots or not as I cant swear they werent there before. NOONE else in the house has signs of being bitten either. I killed 2 spiders last night in my master bathroom. Below is her response and further down is my story-Also what company is relliable in Southeastern PA as I hear of people saying someone says they have bedbugs and spending thousands only to find out it was something else a few weeks later. The doctor did give me some cream and he is trying to rule out any other possibilities as well first (it is NOT scabies--I almost wish it were that instead of worrying about if I brought a bug home or not)
    -------------------------

HI – I read your email and it sounds like you are doing all the right things. Doesn’t sound like bed bugs because they bite nightly usually in a lot of bites in a row and they are very itchy! If you brought them home you would have seen the bites right away not weeks later. I would bring in the sheets and pillows and wash everything in hot water and dry it on hot water. Do a thorough inspection before you put them back on beds. It doesn’t sound to me like you brought bed bugs home. Keep vacuuming and if you want, use the spray before you go to bed on your mattress – in the creases under the sheets. We recommend doing this for 2 weeks if you see bugs but its not necessary if you don’t.

My Mother has a mild form of fibromyalgia so I know how stress can affect it, please take a deep breath – my educated guess is that you don’t have bed bugs in the house.

Thinking of you - Risa

----------------------------------
    Dear Risa

Anyway, I have been using your bedbug spray when I travel.I am hoping maybe you can help me calm some of my anxiety. I went to a retreat Jan 21-23rd at a reputable camp,etc. I had already sprayed all my bags before leaving. (As well as the kids who slept in a DIFFERENT area).I sprayed the mattress and the dresser upon my arrival as well as my sheets once i put them on and then I slept not in my sheets but in my sleeping bag on TOP of the sheets. I also returned to this camp Jan 28-30th.

During my stay the 28th ,I had seen 2 unusual bugs but they were in the shower BEFORE I got in--I squished one which did squirt blood. Being this is a woody spot, I thought tick . When I came home I looked at the pic and it looked like a sm bed bug to me but could have been a tick also. I totally forgot about it. Came home went into the laundry room and immediately that night did all of my laundry, including the sleeping bag and pillows. Then before packing my clothes for the following weekend, I sprayed my

However, on Jan 28th I get a phone call letting me know that the floor I stayed in the weekend of the 21st that 5 out of the 10 rooms had signs of a mild infestation (we are not sure which rooms) of bedbugs. .For the weekend of the 28th THey blocked that wing off-which was an upstairs wing and allowed us to use the conference room below as it was a *low risk area* and no signs were seen there as noone sleeps there and had the certified guy check all other cabins and lodges which showed no signs of it. SO we stayed in these other buildings. Again, I used my spray as now I was in high alert as well. No signs of it seen in mattress or bunk beds,etc. I kept my bag on the chair.

I come home from the 28th and this time since it is below freezing bring nothing but myself and meds and necessary contact lense stuff etc. I left the pillow, sleeping bag, and bag I had sprayed in my trunk since Sunday afternoon. It is now Friday morning. I put the bag in my cold garage and my sleeping bag and pillow in the attic garage--also usually at 32 or below this time of year. Is it safe to bring my bag and pillow in now?

Then Tuesday morning I am doing dishes, and I find a weird bug in the water in the sink. I freaked, and briefly looked at it , 99% sure it was dead,before squishing it. Wrapped in plastic bag and immediately put in OUTSIDE trash bag/ When I looked online it looked like an adult bedbug, but why would it be in the sink in the kitchen? I was told it probably was not that but another bug that may look like it. I immediately went into overdrive anyway and checked the beds for signs of fecal matter,etc on bedboards, under mattress and under boxsprings. I vaccumed my bedroom mattress, floor etc to be on safe side. Found NO SIGNS what so ever. I

Now I have fibromyalgia which in the cold I get white itchy welts anywhere from 2 hrs to 24 hrs after being in the cold.AS well as ssevere eczema which gives me rashes sometime. I woke this morning with 2 small bumps on my back but they were not itchy, the other day I had 2 spots on my wrist but I had washed my hands over 20 times that day at work thus the eczema and had pet my moms cat--which I have an allergy too as well. so some questions are

1) Can I bring in the pillow and clothes from last weekend now and put right into the wash?

2) How can I tell if it is a bedbug bite vs my other reactions

3) Is it possible I was bit on the weekend of the 21st and am just reacting now but did NOT bring home any LIVE bugs (thanks to your great spray?)

4) Besides having washed my stuff immediately that I wore that day (came home thru clothes into washer/dryer and took a hot shower), keeping an eye out for signs of the bugs in my bedroom, what else should I do?

5) Or have I done what I could so far and since I am not finding signs of them (Fecal matter) or the bugs themselves--and yes I get up in middle of night and check for them under sheets,etc.

Please advise the best you can Risa. You were such a great help last year when I dealt with the lice i am hoping you are just as helpful this time as my fibromyalgia makes my anxiety Tenfold to what a normal person would react to and besides hiring a professional to make sure at this point, would you think I have cause to worry or do you think as long as I keep a general eye on things we are good at my house

2. munchkins9802

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 8 2011 9:07:13
    #

Login to Send PM

ANd also these *bite* like things only itch when I think about them
    And growing up I always had bite like marks and a bad habit of scratching. I am hoping this is just a stress rash in response to me being very worried about if I brought one of those buggers home

3. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 8 2011 9:38:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi munchkins,

I think the best advice is to stay vigilant and don't do anything rash, like throwing away you belongings or spraying chemicals around, even if you ultimately do find hard evidence of bedbugs.

For piece of mind I would suggest installing a passive monitor. You can check it regularly and see if any bedbugs are around. If there are bugs around, they will readily move in to a well placed monitor. Knowing this might at least help you relax at night.

Bedbugs are messy. They leave cast skins, fecal traces and eggs around. If you have had a really good search, my hunch is that you don't have bedbugs and something else is causing the bites/marks o your skin.

4. munchkins9802

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 8 2011 10:49:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Richard that makes me feel better. Where do I find a monitor and how much do they run? I am obsessive with looking every morning. So they are quite messy? Also, wouldnt all the bites itch (mine are bite like marks)all the time not just occasionally.
    You did make me feel better though. I will still keep an eye out but try not to obsess about it

5. munchkins9802

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 8 2011 10:50:26
    #

Login to Send PM

and when you mean well placed where should it go IF I decide to get one. (If I have one of them, they would go there rather than on me?)

6. bedbut

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 8 2011 16:57:17
    #

Login to Send PM

you can buy one at usbedbugs.com. instructions are included when you buy plus a link on them to visit that provides more info on placement. the site posts an instruction video on how to use it as well.

you can always take a picture of the placement and post it here someone (david cain, the inventor) will probably respond with feedback on placement.

7. NotFunny

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 8 2011 22:13:48
    #

Login to Send PM

munchkins9802 - 13 hours ago  » 
    ANd also these *bite* like things only itch when I think about them
    And growing up I always had bite like marks and a bad habit of scratching. I am hoping this is just a stress rash in response to me being very worried about if I brought one of those buggers home

I have the same exact problem. I can't find these bugs yet they irritate me. What are they?

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 0:03:16
    #

Login to Send PM

You can read about David's BBAlert Passive monitor, and watch a video about them here.

This is the link for the product at US Bed Bugs. (Please read our disclosure policy).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. sandibug

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 0:04:28
    #

Login to Send PM

For piece of mind and if you have some extra cash, you could hire a K-9 to come in a do an inspection. Action Pest in NJ runs about $350 and there is also an independent one in Voorhees, NJ- Super sniffers? not sure of the price. They both work in the Philadelphia area. If I had been more educated when I started my ordeal that's what I would have done. I personally would rather not wait for a monitoring to show signs because that could take 2 weeks or more. I know dogs aren't 100% accurate but pretty close. Good luck.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 0:07:08
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are going to hire a dog, please make sure they verify alerts -- ask before you hire. We have a FAQ on dogs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,680 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982