(9 posts)
  1. malfii

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 23 2017 12:50:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all -

The last few days I've woken up with a TON of itchy red bumps (maybe 12-15, either in pairs or randomly), all (but one, on my back around my waist) on my knees or below. For reference to the below, it's now Wednesday

I was outside quite a bit on Saturday and Sunday night (along the East River here in NYC) wearing shorts, so I'm thinking maybe I'm just having a delayed reactions to mosquito bites, though I did have a friend stay over last Monday (10 days ago). I did notice what looked like smeared blood on my mattress, though it's on the bottom side, so nowhere near where I might roll over.

I feel like every August I go through the same fear that I have bed bugs because it gets muggy in NYC. Though I haven't opened my windows and haven't seen a mosquito.

What do you think? Worth freaking out or should I give it time?

2. malfii

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 23 2017 12:53:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Also the bites have slowly been appearing. Monday I had about 10 that slowly appeared over the course of the day, two more yesterday as the day progressed, and what appears to be one or two new ones today.

I was CRAZY itchy all day Monday, though that's subsided. The bites from Monday have largely subsided too.

3. malfii

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 23 2017 13:19:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Help!

4. Anxiousbutalive

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 23 2017 13:26:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not a pro but it's hard to ID bedbugs by just bite reactions alone. If you've looked at Google you can see that people react differently to the bites so it's hard to confirm as a 'standard'. Check over the FAQs of this page and do some sleuthing. Put up some passive monitors or if you're renting report your suspicion to your land lord and ask for an inspection. Check your mattress and box spring and any cracks in your baseboards. I've vacuumed and checked the contents of the clear container my dust collects in.

5. malfii

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 23 2017 13:43:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Found a bug on an old trap near my window - is this a bed bug???

6. malfii

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 23 2017 13:44:00
    #

Login to Send PM

7. Anxiousbutalive

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 23 2017 19:37:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know. I'm not a pro - but I'd make a new post with the photo and get one of the pros on this forum to ID

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 23 2017 22:50:43
    #

Login to Send PM

That is not a bed bug. I will add a note to the title so an expert will know this is an ID thread, but definitely, not a bed bug.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 24 2017 5:22:14
    #

Login to Send PM

malfii - 15 hours ago  » 
    Found a bug on an old trap near my window - is this a bed bug???

Not an insect. It's an isopod, a land crustacean, also called a woodlouse or sowbug.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,816 posts in 49,812 topics over 154 months by 21,801 of 22,267 members. Latest: Purplebrain, MrBedbug, Pioneer47