Bed bugs? Or carpet beetles? [a: beetle larvae]

(8 posts)
  1. antimony

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 9 2012 18:33:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I just moved into an apartment and, due to a lack of funds, had to buy used upholstered furniture. (I know, I know. Bad move.) I got two couches and a futon and was happy.

Then I had a dream about roaches crawling over me and eating my eyes and woke up in a panic. I was itching, but I couldn't tell if it was real itching or phantom itching. My boyfriend couldn't see anything wrong, but I began freaking out about bedbugs. I thought I had a bite on my sternum and three bites in a triangle on my back (which I might, but it just as easily might be itchy acne).

This led to me slitting the bottom of the furniture open to take a look inside. Now, these were owned by families who didn't have pets, who had never had a problem with bugs, and who hadn't had lice in at least a decade. So I figured I wouldn't really find anything, it was just to put my mind at ease.

Then I found a few casts in the big couch. Not many of them, just these three. I didn't find any eggs or blood or live bugs or fecal material in any of the upholstered furniture, even after going in there with a flashlight and tearing through as much as I could of what's holding it together. It looks clean, except for those casts.

They're between 2mm and 3mm, which is about the right size for a growing bedbug, but something felt off. There aren't any legs, the body doesn't seem flat and wide enough, and the method of moulting seemed off - bedbugs generally don't seem to burst out of their exoskeletons like Superman ripping open his shirt.

I've been looking at pictures of carpet beetle larvae, and they seem to look much more similar to the casts that I found. However, I want to be sure about this. I know many of you have lots of experience at identifying bedbugs. If it is a bedbug infestation, I'd rather clear it up now than later, and if it's not, I want to be able to stop freaking out.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

2. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 9 2012 18:36:51
    #

Login to Send PM

They don't look like carpet beetle but I also can't say for certain if they are bedbug cast skins. Loubugs may be able to shed some more light. I'd advise to trash it for piece of mind, but that's just me...

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 9 2012 18:42:21
    #

Login to Send PM

brooklyn_bites - 3 minutes ago  » 
    They don't look like carpet beetle but I also can't say for certain if they are bedbug cast skins. Loubugs may be able to shed some more light. I'd advise to trash it for piece of mind, but that's just me...

Sorry but if you don't know what it is it's best to say nothing rather than fuel someone's anxiety.

It's 100% not bedbugs.

They are shed skins from beetle larva, most likely something closely related to demistid or carpet beetles.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. antimony

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 9 2012 18:45:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much, David! I know this isn't necessarily your forte, but do you know if/how we should be treating for this? I still haven't found any live bugs, so I'm unsure of what color the threat level should be.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 9 2012 18:54:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am supposed to be on holiday so don't have any of my resources to hand but if you search my posts, this site or look on my company site in the advanced educational section you will see guides.

If you have skin reactions keep shoes and socks off in the house and that neutralises the static attraction that activates the hairs.

David

6. antimony

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 9 2012 23:45:10
    #

Login to Send PM

If I am still getting skin reactions, would that mean that there's another problem? Or does it just mean that I'm very sensitive, or that old ones are taking their time to appear, or there are still activated hairs in the couch?

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Aug 10 2012 3:58:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

At this stage with no other signs I think it's wisest to assume any skin reactions could be due to larval skin hairs which are obviously harder to know when they are all gone as you are effectively searching for the perverbial needles in haystacks.

David

8. skshortecake

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Sep 9 2012 10:29:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Antimony,

There are not bedbugs. They are called Warehouse beetles. These are in the same family as a carpet beetle. They have a larva stage and look small like the casts and are brown and white striped and fuzzy. They then become a small blackish beetle and leave the cast behind. I had these at my house. They won't bite, but are hard to get rid of. You can buy sprays for carpet beetles, and sweep regularly. They hide in the same places as bedbugs; along mattress seams and couch seams. They like dust piles too. My advice, is the sweep regularly and spray every week.

Good Luck

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs