Bed bugs or bat bugs?

(9 posts)
  1. barnswallow07

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Jun 12 2018 13:57:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay so I live in an very clean home, wash bedding weekly freguently vaccum & dust polish furniture etc. I recently opened a window that i dont often open, and in the evening on the wall i saw what looked like a one of the two on the wall. I picked it up with a tissue flushed it down the toilet and proceeded to check everywhere that most websites say I would see signs of them; bed box spring headboard etcetc and there are 0 signs of anything and I have never seen one before and there is nothing that leads me to beleive that I could have a problem. I am,, however, in a fair bit of panic as this is not a problem i want to have i will include photos

https://imgur.com/a/vqncZeB

The o ly thing i found during my inspection was a dead one on the register (also by a window often open)

Neither windos is very close to a bed or anywhere where people often are

Thanks in advanced!

2. HifromChi

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Jun 12 2018 14:23:43
    #

Login to Send PM

That looks like an adult bed bug to me, but there are a few experts here that might be able to give you a solid confirmation, if its of the bat bug variety. I do know that bat bugs have a tendency to lurk in places near fireplaces and attics, due to their preference for bats.

3. barnswallow07

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Jun 12 2018 14:30:06
    #

Login to Send PM

If it is a bedbug what should my next steps be ? I really have no idea i see no other traces of them anywhere

4. HifromChi

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Jun 12 2018 14:40:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you keep the specimen? If you did, you can take it to a local PCO outfit for identification. The hairs are really what set it apart from a bed bug, bat bugs have longer hairs than bed bugs and the treatment for getting rid of either, is very different.

Bat bugs are easier to rid yourself of, usually if you remove the problem, being bats, and treat the affected areas (fireplace, attic, wall voids), you're back to normal pretty quickly. Bed bugs are a much bigger pain, unfortunately.

Someone needs to look at it with a trained eye, under a microscope preferably.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Jun 12 2018 15:08:43
    #

Login to Send PM

A cimicid, but not a bed bug - body is very hairy. It's a male. Do you have bat problems?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. barnswallow07

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Jun 12 2018 15:21:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for responding! Ive just recently moved here (midwest america) more southern, northern newmexico to be exact. We have a pear tree in the back yard, if thats any help at all. I havent seen any myself but I could see that being a possibility. There are a lot of mice here

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Jun 12 2018 17:39:36
    #

Login to Send PM

barnswallow07 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Thank you for responding! Ive just recently moved here (midwest america) more southern, northern newmexico to be exact. We have a pear tree in the back yard, if thats any help at all. I havent seen any myself but I could see that being a possibility. There are a lot of mice here

How about the house?

8. barnswallow07

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Wed Jun 13 2018 22:46:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I dont think i have seen any bats; i do work in a very old building though. Built in the 30s probably nottoo well taken care of. I definitely see a possibility of bats there; is it possible i brought it home?

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 days ago
    Thu Jun 14 2018 4:00:34
    #

Login to Send PM

barnswallow07 - 5 hours ago  » 
    I dont think i have seen any bats; i do work in a very old building though. Built in the 30s probably nottoo well taken care of. I definitely see a possibility of bats there; is it possible i brought it home?

No, not that bug.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,595 posts in 45,047 topics over 137 months by 19,778 of 20,511 members. Latest: Savingabel16, K2000, 2peanuts2pumpkins