Bed bugs on TV: "Bored to Death" season 2, episode 2

(11 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 23:18:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs were briefly mentioned in episode 2, season 2 of Bored to Death.

Ted Danson's character is at the urologist for another problem entirely and the doctor "diagnoses" the "little bites" in his private region, saying "you have bed bugs!"

(Of course, we know doctors can't diagnose bed bug bites based on appearance. You have to find evidence of the bugs. And -- ugh -- someone also says he'll have to get his place "bombed." I hate this kind of misinformation being perpetuated!)

His response is to move to a fancy hotel while his home is being treated.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 23:58:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I logged all the way in for this.

Brilliant! Bravo! You morons @ BoredToDeath!

I didn't know there was such a program. I thought you were bored to death.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 11:55:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I kind of like the show.

They do not have a corner on bad bed bug information: bed bugs have been on shows from The Simpsons, King of Queens, and 30 Rock to SNL, The Colbert Report, The Daily Show and more, and there is usually an element of misinformation. I am glad to see bed bugs mentioned in the media, and really wish they'd get the details right, but I still think the raising of awareness is good.

4. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 17:45:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 5 hours ago  » 
    I kind of like the show.
    They do not have a corner on bad bed bug information: bed bugs have been on shows from The Simpsons, King of Queens, and 30 Rock to SNL, The Colbert Report, The Daily Show and more, and there is usually an element of misinformation. I am glad to see bed bugs mentioned in the media, and really wish they'd get the details right, but I still think the raising of awareness is good.

Re: Bed bugs in the media...

Some people feel that the 'media' is making people more paranoid than not, and beyond that isn't helpful. Do you think any story on these critters is better than none as opposed to stories that are informational rather than sensational?

This is a topic that interests me as I am generally more interested in the subject of BB 'paranoia' than the critters themselves.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 19:35:32
    #

Login to Send PM

It depends. It is less true now than a year or so ago that just seeing bed bugs mentioned was a good way to raise awareness. In many ways, "bad" stories aren't helpful.

On the other hand, people who genuinely hadn't heard of bed bugs two years ago are now generally concerned with how they can avoid them, and how they will know if they ever get them. I spoke to someone like that the other day -- she was worried and did not have much good information to work with, but the worry made her hungry for that information, and in the end, she was looking for good info and was able to find some she can use. Now she knows, for example, to be cautious of secondhand items, and if she buys some, to seal them in a bag and put them straight into a hot dryer (or wash/dry).

If there wasn't so much buzz about bed bugs in the media, I don't think she would have gone looking for tips.

6. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 20:00:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hm. That was a satisfactory answer.

Cheers!

7. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 20:08:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs were a tangent on Sunny in Philly. The apartment house was tented and gassed. Which could happen I guess, but knowing the characters and the slum they live in (frank and charlie) is unlikely. Its technically not wrong but unlikely.

All tv writers are going to use bed bugs as a plot device to get the characters to do something. Which is kind of how it should be. Theres a site out there of doctors that rate the medical procedures performed on House MD, as in how good of a treatment and how likely the symptoms were. But in the end, its a show, and really doesnt have a responsibility to inform.

News shows and talk shows on the other hand are another color of horse all together.

8. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 20:14:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Interestingly, I don't watch TV. I listen to the radio which is tuned all day to NPR. I'm a laid back person yet am sitting here with 100 lbs. of DE. Go figure.

9. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 20:29:28
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG! Right now a story on bed bugs on NPR radio--WNYC.ORG fm about 9:25 pm EST. You can hear a podcast later I guess. Off to listen...

10. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 20:32:46
    #

Login to Send PM

nycyn - 2 minutes ago  » 
    OMG! Right now a story on bed bugs on NPR radio--WNYC.ORG fm about 9:25 pm EST. You can hear a podcast later I guess. Off to listen...

I dont know what multiplies faster; bed bugs or stories about them.

11. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 9 2010 20:58:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay. It was a program on insomnia/sleep. Bed bug story not interesting (for us), but the 1st one--about a sleepwalker, is hilarious.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,808 posts in 50,043 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen