Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Bed bugs on suitcases - how do we prevent this?

(9 posts)
  1. paulfoel

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Nov 19 2018 6:01:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Pretty sure this is the cause of our bed bugs. Suitcases from holiday in Florida were left on the spare bed for days.

After this, whoever slept in that bed got bitten. Its all been treated now and bed gone.

Thing is how do I stop it ever happening again? Is there something you can do to treat suitcases before bringing them in house?

2. SalsaVince

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Nov 19 2018 15:02:37
    #

Login to Send PM

You could leave them in the garage and empty the clothes into bags and wash and dry them right away. I would also read some suggestions for how to protect your luggage in the first place when you're traveling such as not putting your bags on the hotel bed and keeping your clothes bagged up.

To answer your other question about encasements for box springs, yes, they make them specifically for box springs and they are easy to find online. The box springs are more likely to be infested than a mattress because they are less disturbed and have more hiding places, especially, those stupid plastic corner tabs.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Nov 19 2018 15:21:00
    #

Login to Send PM

UK box springs aren't the same as US, I don't think they have a model for that style of bed.

4. buggyak

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Nov 19 2018 21:31:18
    #

Login to Send PM

They do make bed bug heater boxes for luggage. They are pricey but work well.

5. paulfoel

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Nov 21 2018 6:48:07
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 1 day ago  » 
    UK box springs aren't the same as US, I don't think they have a model for that style of bed.

No I guess you know what I mean. Called Divan in the UK. Sprung base with drawers in....

6. paulfoel

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Nov 21 2018 6:48:37
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyak - 1 day ago  » 

That an entire suitcase fits inside? Or does it not work like that?

7. paulfoel

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 9:16:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Well suitcases have remained in the attic since holiday to Florida. Almost 3 months ago.

Since this may well have been the cause of the initial infestation - they were left on the bed in the spare bedroom that was became infected.

After 3 months is there any chance there are still eggs left on the suitcase in the attic? Presume if they'd hatched up there the bugs in question would be gone now?

What precautions can we take? Vaccum, steam or spray? Got PCO coming back next week - worthwhile asking him to give the cases a spray too?

8. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 12:44:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I would speak to your PCO about the suitcases.

9. buggyak

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Mar 8 2019 0:53:12
    #

Login to Send PM

paulfoel - 3 months ago  » 

buggyak - 1 day ago  » 

That an entire suitcase fits inside? Or does it not work like that?

Really late response, but yes the do make them like that. You can look up "bed bug heat box." The one I have seen most often is a ZappBug.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

286,308 posts in 47,660 topics over 147 months by 21,008 of 21,332 members. Latest: jormungund, matters1776, Prim1102