Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Free for all

bed bugs on sidewalks

(6 posts)
  1. Xalic

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Sep 6 2017 20:23:52
    #

Login to Send PM

hi I want to know if I should worry about picking up bed bugs going for walks in the day time and night?

2. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Sep 6 2017 21:27:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I would imagine that as long as you aren't rubbing up on discarded furnature, you'll be fine to leave your home and go for a walk.

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  3. Xalic

Posted 9 months ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 0:40:09
    #

Login to Send PM

thx so much for your reply! I am so paranoid of these things now.....

4. Xalic

Posted 8 months ago
    Sat Sep 23 2017 23:01:15
    #

Login to Send PM

still nervous about this what is the chances?? i have ocd sorry haha

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Sun Sep 24 2017 6:05:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bed bugs are an exposure pest.

As such you only get them by coming into contact with a source of them,this usually means either visiting somewhere or bringing something into your home/life (unless another person does that for you).

They are also a commensal pest in that they live along side humans.

When you put these two facts together you realise the odds of getting bed bugs by simply going for a walk on your own in close to zero. The sidewalk will never be a home for bed bugs, they would starve or be killed by other organisms.

Now while you have anxiety you don't actually have a bed bug OCD. That would mean you carry out obsessive or compulsive actions because of bed bugs. OCD is a serious issue and while the term is bandied about in connection with bed bugs in all my years I have only met one person who actually had it, I can assure you that it was a tough situation and not something to take lightly.

If you can accept a little tough love, what you do have is an inability to see that understanding the facts of a situation is the only way to manage anxiety and as such you get yourself stuck in ruts created by the inability to see your own need to actually understand the facts.

Sometimes this is a sign of underlying unresolved issues which therapy may help with, if you are willing to investigate that path. A few years ago I spent a few hours talking with someone who came to the forum asking for help who clearly had issues which were manifesting through an irrational fear that she had invisible bed bugs or would catch them at any moment. I last heard from her a few weeks later when she sent me a thank you message to say she had started to work through some issues she had suppressed since childhood.

Therapy can be a tough concept for some people and while most still have incorrect stigmas and associations with it its hard for people to see the simple fact that we all have issues and some do benefit from getting help with that. I underwent 3 years of therapy following a life changing car crash in 98, but did not start that process until 2002 when it was clear to most of the people around me that I needed help. I wish I had started that process sooner but might not have made as much progress had I nit fallen to the absolute bottom of my well first. What I will reinforce however, is that the help I received just like input/support of my family, education, friends and life/work experiences have made me the person I am today.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  6. Xalic

Posted 8 months ago
    Sun Sep 24 2017 15:41:02
    #

Login to Send PM

xalic thank you so much

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,676 posts in 45,064 topics over 137 months by 19,786 of 20,521 members. Latest: jes510, Jessica107, Starsky30